[split] Atheist Grieving - A tad heavy with... (The Christian argument)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2012, 09:49 AM
RE: [split] Atheist Grieving - A tad heavy with... (The Christian argument)
Hmmm...

It's not that *I* would never worship a God like that, that's a given. What I battle to see, Egor, is why *you* would worship a God who wants *anyone* to "roast in hell for his pleasure".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2012, 10:00 AM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2012 10:05 AM by Azaraith.)
lol! @ jackrabbit's post ^^

(29-01-2012 03:19 AM)Egor Wrote:  There are three kinds of atheists:

The first is the person who says they believe in God but they have no faith at all and live as if God were no more real than the Tooth Fairy.

The second kind are the ones who have no belief in God at all and they don't give a hoot about religion or religious debates and live only for their professions or money, or hedonistic pleasures. You never hear from these atheists because they don't talk about religion and they don't care one way or the other about it. They are here to manipulate the world and get out of it whatever they can before they die. A fictitious example might be Al Pacino's character, Tony Montano, in the movie, Scarface.

Those first two are impossible to reach. They are damned and they will never turn unless God intervenes and turns them in some way, but I don't think God does, and I am not called to communicate with them.

The third kind of atheist is what you find mostly in these forums. These people want to believe in God, but something is in the way. What they want is for a theist to remove that obstacle. These atheists feel God, but they play Devil's advocate against the believers they encounter hoping to find the one who can show them the way home.

I feel very strongly for that third type. You could say that I love them, because I feel compelled to reach out and rescue them, to fight for their souls, and their being lost I consider partly my fault, my failing. They are the one sheep that Jesus talks about that the shepherd leaves the 99 others to go and find.

And you know what? I'm glad I've been doing this since 1994 so I was able to put up with your insults to get to this part of your post so I could answer it.

Um... You've got an interesting theory right there, but I'm afraid you've missed a category for me. You see, I don't care about money all that much, prefer to focus on family and friends. I also have no more interest in believing in God than I do believing in Santa Claus - both are equally ridiculous in my view, God makes even less sense in some ways, as He is claimed to be 100% good, yet also supposedly kills someone just for catching a falling box/ark (among hundreds of other examples). At least Santa is a story that is consistent =P

#1 isn't an atheist btw, it's a theist that doesn't practice their belief. An atheist that says they believe in God isn't an atheist...

(29-01-2012 05:30 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(29-01-2012 04:46 AM)morondog Wrote:  He's not a very powerful God... he's only given power by his followers. If he was any good at this shit he would realise that there are a thousand more effective communications techniques than sending the Prophet Egor.

Here's a challenge for you Egor. I've got a cup of coffee in my hand at almost any given time apart from when I'm sleeping. If your God can make that cup of coffee levitate 1 foot above my desk then I'll switch teams immediately, no more arsing around. Go ahead and pray for it. I realise that it would be attributable to any number of reasons, but I'm *so confident* that it won't happen that I'm making this challenge.

You make an interesting challenge. But there are some difficulties.

A. You are already saying you may well attribute it to any number of reasons, so why bother?

B. Jesus never did anything like that for Satan in the desert, so I don't think I will do anything like that for you (even if God were willing to grant such a request on my part).

C. You may be someone God wants to roast in hell and enjoy watching suffer. So, why bother doing anything that would convince you to be anything other than an atheist?

Bottom line is: I don't think God's going to levitate your coffee cup for you.

Quote:And before you get all preachy about how it's not right to tempt God or whatever random reason you're gonna pull out your ass, God is infinitely merciful and loving and doesn't want me to go to hell right ? (Although he's the ass wanting to send me there in the first place). He *knows* I will believe if this works, so he's got a damn good reason to do it.

If it don't happen, then you know that God either doesn't care or doesn't exist.

Like I said, maybe He wants you to roast in hell for His pleasure. And before you get all I-won't-worship-a-god-like-that, keep in mind He may not care whether you worship him or not. He may not ever allow you to know he exists.

Just saying.

Your God is a dick. Sorry, but how you describe him makes him out to be a petty bully with the emotional composure of a 5 year old who's been spurned by another toddler and is getting back at them with an "I'll show you!" type attitude. Funny how a believer's depiction of "God" often resembles the personality of the believer.

Better without God, and happier too.
[+] 3 users Like Azaraith's post
29-01-2012, 11:06 AM
(29-01-2012 01:41 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(28-01-2012 10:14 PM)Ben Wrote:  Demonstrate clearly with evidence to me how your theistic view gives any more meaning to life than mine.

It's that simple.

With evidence? What do you mean? We're talking about a philosophical topic. Am I supposed to pull something out of my pocket and show it to you and say, "See, this is why my view gives more meaning to life than your view."? That's ridiculous.
By evidence I mean a supporting argument with sound premises and conclusions - though eventually even a philosophical argument should be grounded in empirical evidence.

Quote:But I can tell you that anything that is not eternal is worthless. And in the blink of an eye, if you love someone, you will die and your love will disappear completely. It will be forgotten when they die, and it will be as if it never was--ever. If atheism is true.
Why is something not eternal worthless?

Have you ever enjoyed a good movie, a nice piece of pie, or a fun evening?
[+] 1 user Likes Ben's post
29-01-2012, 11:27 AM
If I were talking to someone on the verge of falling into Christian fundamentalism, I can think of no better way of rescuing them than to have them read Egor's posts in this thread. I'd just say, "Do you want to become like this guy?" That would be enough to open their eyes.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 4 users Like cufflink's post
29-01-2012, 11:50 AM
(29-01-2012 11:27 AM)cufflink Wrote:  If I were talking to someone on the verge of falling into Christian fundamentalism, I can think of no better way of rescuing them than to have them read Egor's posts in this thread. I'd just say, "Do you want to become like this guy?" That would be enough to open their eyes.

No no no, you need to read the thread Egor's proof of God Smile That's first rate conversion material. Sorry I don't know how to link (technophobe Tongue)... Or you could direct them to his blog, the Believers' revolt.

Sire, sire, the believers are revolting!

Well I know that.

Tongue
29-01-2012, 11:53 AM
(29-01-2012 05:30 AM)Egor Wrote:  C. You may be someone God wants to roast in hell and enjoy watching suffer. So, why bother doing anything that would convince you to be anything other than an atheist?

Bottom line is: I don't think God's going to levitate your coffee cup for you.

(29-01-2012 05:30 AM)Egor Wrote:  Like I said, maybe He wants you to roast in hell for His pleasure. And before you get all I-won't-worship-a-god-like-that, keep in mind He may not care whether you worship him or not. He may not ever allow you to know he exists.

Just saying.

So you believe in predetermination? God has already set out path and there is nothing we can do to "become" one of the elect, it is up to God? That is what you just said. That being the case, do you believe that God is using you and your fire and brimstone message to convert us? Your faith robs you of true human compassion and the ability to see true beauty in this world. You've said that you think that if there is no eternal soul then there is no point to existence and no reason to bother to appreciate the wonders of the world. You are just plain simply wrong. You lack the tools necessary to "reach" us here.

Either that or you don't actually believe that there is no point beyond the eternal, and you're using it as a platform upon which to argue. It is a flimsy platform at best.

Also, you've still got a number of responses to deal with- like mine and Jackrabbit's from a number of hours ago. Your excuse for ignoring Jackrabbit's was also flimsy, so please have at it now.
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
29-01-2012, 01:01 PM
(29-01-2012 05:30 AM)Egor Wrote:  Like I said, maybe He wants you to roast in hell for His pleasure. And before you get all I-won't-worship-a-god-like-that, keep in mind He may not care whether you worship him or not. He may not ever allow you to know he exists.

Just saying.

Jesus Christ, that is sick. And you think an atheistic worldview is bleak!
29-01-2012, 01:34 PM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2012 01:44 PM by Jackrabbit.)
(29-01-2012 01:01 PM)Ben Wrote:  

Just saying.

It's a mixture of battered wife and stockholm syndrome with a sprinkle of paranoid delusion Smile "better pray to god or hell is gonna getcha"
It would also contradict the morality that christians preach in which case ill gladly choose hell over a tyrant
unlike your god i have some dignity. And ill get to hang out with Ozzy osbourne, Dio, Christopher hitchens, TTA, TAA, thunderf00t, george carlin, ricky gervais, Satan(god of heavy metal) and Richard fucking DAWKINS (may he bless our cells and DNA)
and you get to hang out with The Banana man, William lane craig, Shock of god, VenomfangX, Pope ratsinger, George dubya, Southern babtists, C.S lewis and KC Tongue (Note: we'd very much like to have KC hang out with the cool people in hell instead of spending eternity with you and the bananaman)

I think it was Thomas payne who said "go to heaven for the scenery and hell for the company"

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
[+] 6 users Like Jackrabbit's post
29-01-2012, 02:13 PM
(29-01-2012 01:34 PM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  I think it was Thomas payne who said "go to heaven for the scenery and hell for the company"

Mark Twain. At least you rhymed.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
29-01-2012, 02:26 PM
(29-01-2012 01:01 PM)Ben Wrote:  

Just saying.

YHWH's just YHWH. That so many sheep make such pronouncements with the smug sense of superiority that accompanies referencing the identity "all;" a clear indication of mental illness. I got mental illness - with the Gwynnies, it's beauty for all - but it's a happy mental illness. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post