[split] Beauty of Mathematics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2015, 01:54 AM
[split] Beauty of Mathematics
(23-09-2015 08:30 PM)Timj Wrote:  I am currently a junior engineering and mathematics major in college. Mathematical models of phenomena in nature never cease to amaze me. It seems the deeper you dig into ANY field of study, the more mathematics you find. From simple electronics to cosmological expansion, there exists an equation for damn near everything. The ancients would have viewed modern man as gods. Maybe if we could meet people from 2000 years in the future, we would see them as gods. All of the processes in nature we can currently predict will be nothing compared to 2K years in the future. So beautiful! Anyone else share this viewpoint?

Written and spoken languages can describe things too. Why? Because humans have the ability to describe the world. All math is a language with a little logic on the side. That allows us to describe the world in a little more detail than we can with words alone. Nothing really amazing about it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2015, 08:19 AM
RE: Beauty of Mathematics
(24-09-2015 01:54 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(23-09-2015 08:30 PM)Timj Wrote:  I am currently a junior engineering and mathematics major in college. Mathematical models of phenomena in nature never cease to amaze me. It seems the deeper you dig into ANY field of study, the more mathematics you find. From simple electronics to cosmological expansion, there exists an equation for damn near everything. The ancients would have viewed modern man as gods. Maybe if we could meet people from 2000 years in the future, we would see them as gods. All of the processes in nature we can currently predict will be nothing compared to 2K years in the future. So beautiful! Anyone else share this viewpoint?

Written and spoken languages can describe things too. Why? Because humans have the ability to describe the world. All math is a language with a little logic on the side. That allows us to describe the world in a little more detail than we can with words alone. Nothing really amazing about it.

Fuck off blowjob

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Octapulse's post
24-09-2015, 10:41 AM
(24-09-2015 01:54 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Written and spoken languages can describe things too. Why? Because humans have the ability to describe the world. All math is a language with a little logic on the side. That allows us to describe the world in a little more detail than we can with words alone. Nothing really amazing about it.

Yep. One thousand years ago we had a written and spoken languages. And a bit of maths. Now we still have written and spoken languages and a lot more maths.

In the last 100+ years, we've developed powered flight, radio, television, computers, the internet, satellites, put men on the moon....

Why didn't we develop all this stuff before? "Written and spoken languages can describe things too."

Yep, nothing really amazing about it.

Let me guess...your background isn't science?
[+] 5 users Like jockmcdock's post
24-09-2015, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2015 12:41 PM by Reducetarian.)
(24-09-2015 01:54 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

How truly sad for you Heywood. (Really, I'm not being snarky or sarcastic, you really don't know what you're missing, and that's really sad)

I'm a language professional, so I work with language every day, and much as I love the works of Shakespeare and Austen and Molière and others, no puny man-made language comes close to inspiring in me the sheer awe that mathematics does. Whether its the elegance of Gaussian geometry or the simply mind-blowing beauty of fractals and chaotic systems, or the powerful simplicity of pi, nothing can rival mathematics for elegance and beauty, especially when used to describe the natural world.

When I was a believer, much of my belief in god rested on the majesty of mathematics; I felt that only a god could have designed such amazingness. Now I know better, but math still inspires intellectual awe and, dare I say, joy in me.

Much in the way that great music and great art appeal to, and yet transcend, the emotions, so does math appeal to the mind.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 5 users Like Reducetarian's post
24-09-2015, 12:55 PM
(24-09-2015 12:36 PM)Reducetarian Wrote:  
(24-09-2015 01:54 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Written and spoken languages can describe things too. Why? Because humans have the ability to describe the world. All math is a language with a little logic on the side. That allows us to describe the world in a little more detail than we can with words alone. Nothing really amazing about it.

How truly sad for you Heywood. (Really, I'm not being snarky or sarcastic, you really don't know what you're missing, and that's really sad)

I'm a language professional, so I work with language every day, and much as I love the works of Shakespeare and Austen and Molière and others, no puny man-made language comes close to inspiring in me the sheer awe that mathematics does. Whether its the elegance of Gaussian geometry or the simply mind-blowing beauty of fractals and chaotic systems, or the powerful simplicity of pi, nothing can rival mathematics for elegance and beauty, especially when used to describe the natural world.

When I was a believer, much of my belief in god rested on the majesty of mathematics; I felt that only a god could have designed such amazingness. Now I know better, but math still inspires intellectual awe and, dare I say, joy in me.

Much in the way that great music and great art appeal to, and yet transcend, the emotions, so does math appeal to the mind.

[Image: 15230_film-applause-clapping-total-film-...welles.gif]

Very well said.

I can't count the number of times I have been deep into a paper or book on physics and been literally awestruck by the power of math. And we've just scratched the surface on most of it.

Everyone has heard of e=mc2, but you really have to understand the maths behind it to full appreciate just HOW amazing those 5 characters are. Such a simple looking equation. SO much depth and beauty in what it describes.

You'll have to excuse blowjob, he's a fucking moron who doesn't comprehend math beyond an elementary level.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
24-09-2015, 01:25 PM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2015 01:28 PM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(24-09-2015 10:41 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  Yep. One thousand years ago we had a written and spoken languages. And a bit of maths. Now we still have written and spoken languages and a lot more maths.

In the last 100+ years, we've developed powered flight, radio, television, computers, the internet, satellites, put men on the moon....

Why didn't we develop all this stuff before? "Written and spoken languages can describe things too."

Math is the expression of ideas and concepts through vocabulary, syntax, and orthrography just like written and spoken languages. It goes beyond written and spoken languages in that it includes logic. Start adding logic to written and spoken languages and that leads you to mathematics. Like I said, Math is just language with some logic on the side. It is an improvement of something we already had and not some completely new or recent invention as your post seems to errantly suggest.

@itsnotmeitsyou, I forgive you for calling me a moron. I hope one day you will stop framing your opinions with insults and begin to make actual arguments.
24-09-2015, 01:28 PM
(24-09-2015 12:55 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(24-09-2015 12:36 PM)Reducetarian Wrote:  How truly sad for you Heywood. (Really, I'm not being snarky or sarcastic, you really don't know what you're missing, and that's really sad)

[Image: 15230_film-applause-clapping-total-film-...welles.gif]

Very well said.

I can't count the number of times I have been deep into a paper or book on physics and been literally awestruck by the power of math. And we've just scratched the surface on most of it.

Everyone has heard of e=mc2, but you really have to understand the maths behind it to full appreciate just HOW amazing those 5 characters are. Such a simple looking equation. SO much depth and beauty in what it describes.

You'll have to excuse blowjob, he's a fucking moron who doesn't comprehend math beyond an elementary level.

.... so why do I have to excuse him again?

I like e=mc^2, but for sheer mathematical poetry I'd have to go with Euler's Identity.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
24-09-2015, 01:30 PM
(24-09-2015 01:25 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(24-09-2015 10:41 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  Yep. One thousand years ago we had a written and spoken languages. And a bit of maths. Now we still have written and spoken languages and a lot more maths.

Math is the expression of ideas and concepts through vocabulary, syntax, and orthrography just like written and spoken languages. It goes beyond written and spoken languages in that it includes logic. Start adding logic to written and spoken languages and that leads you to mathematics. Like I said, Math is just language with some logic on the side. It is an improvement of something we already had and not some completely new or recent invention as your post seems to errantly suggest.

@itsnotmeitsyou, I forgive you for calling me a moron. I hope one day you will stop framing your opinions with insults and begin to make actual arguments.

Fuck off, shithead.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
24-09-2015, 01:32 PM
(24-09-2015 01:30 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Fuck off, shithead.

I forgive you for calling me a shithead and re-iterate my hope that one day you will be capable of more than just slinging insults. Keep reading those books. You might get there someday.
24-09-2015, 01:40 PM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2015 01:45 PM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(24-09-2015 12:38 PM)Timj Wrote:  People who say mathematics is "not impressive" probably never made it into Algebra I.

What is so impressive about using vocabulary, syntax, orthography, and logic to describe something? When you walk into a museum are you impressed at the plaques below the exhibit or are you impressed by the exhibits? Me, i read the plaques but I am not amazed by them nor am I amazed that the exhibit has a plaque that describes what it is. I am amazed by the exhibits themselves.