[split] Beauty of Mathematics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2015, 03:41 PM
RE: Beauty of Mathematics
(26-09-2015 02:54 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(24-09-2015 05:48 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Well I do forgive you.....and I forgive itsmeandnotyou. I am surprised that you would stoop to insults. For some people, they sling insults because intellectually....that is all they have. Jockmcdock, you are bright enough not to have to engage in gutter tactics......I think you're just being lazy here.

It's your condescension I don't like. You are being arrogant.

But I forgive you.

Just out of interest, can you tell me your mathematical background?

Apparently, the same as his background in everything else -- whatever he can pull up in 5 minutes on the internet. I get the impression he has never gone beyond that, because he can't comprehend that there's a need to.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2015, 03:47 PM
(26-09-2015 03:41 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Apparently, the same as his background in everything else -- whatever he can pull up in 5 minutes on the internet. I get the impression he has never gone beyond that, because he can't comprehend that there's a need to.

Let us hope that if he ever needs heart surgery, he won't be treated by a doctor who graduated from Google U.
[+] 1 user Likes jockmcdock's post
26-09-2015, 03:53 PM
(25-09-2015 01:03 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(25-09-2015 08:55 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I'll pass. If I want to read a novel, I will read the novel, not an internet summary of it. Don't be so lazy. The internet is a useful tool, but it's no substitute for actually studying something in depth.

Summaries are awesome for accumulating a lot of information in a short amount of time. Sometimes there just isn't enough time to read everything. People who utilize summaries aren't lazy. Lazy people are intelligent ones who sling insults cause they can't muster the motivation to make an argument. People who utilize summaries are efficient.

1. Summaries give you superficial information. To get anything substantial, you have to dig deeper. A person does not become well-educated by skimming a bunch of summaries. You might think you can do that, but you're wrong.

2. Novels (and the best parts of mathematics) are not about "information". If a novel (or a poem, or any piece of literature) is worth anything at all, it demands to be read, not summarized. And you learn mathematics by doing mathematics, not by spending a few minutes reading a summary.
[+] 4 users Like Grasshopper's post
26-09-2015, 03:56 PM
(26-09-2015 03:40 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(26-09-2015 03:35 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  Right, that's it. No allowance this week!!!

And you have to was the dishes.

But I always wash the dishes! Sadcryface2

In our house we have division of labour. My wife puts the dishes into the dishwasher. i take take them out.

She won't let me wash the clothes because I mix the whites and the coloureds. But she can't explain why my Feyenoord (Dutch soccer club) shirt which is half red and half white never gets discouloured.
[+] 1 user Likes jockmcdock's post
26-09-2015, 04:01 PM
(26-09-2015 03:56 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(26-09-2015 03:40 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  But I always wash the dishes! Sadcryface2

In our house we have division of labour. My wife puts the dishes into the dishwasher. i take take them out.

She won't let me wash the clothes because I mix the whites and the coloureds. But she can't explain why my Feyenoord (Dutch soccer club) shirt which is half red and half white never gets discouloured.

We have a whole crew here. I do dishes - which is wash, put into washer, put away - and take care of George (our ridiculous dog). Everybody does their own laundry. All my stuff goes in at once, colors, materials, towels, whatever. Big Grin

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
26-09-2015, 09:16 PM
RE: [split] Beauty of Mathematics
(24-09-2015 06:17 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(24-09-2015 06:03 PM)Timj Wrote:  I truly pity you. I don't know if you are playing dumb or just plain dumb.

From my perspective, Timj, you're butthurt because someone doesn't agree with you.

I don't think anyone here gives a rat's ass about your perspective. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
26-09-2015, 09:17 PM
(26-09-2015 12:48 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  "It seems the deeper you dig into ANY field of study, the more mathematics you find. From simple electronics to cosmological expansion, there exists an equation for damn near everything."

Because it isn't any more insightful than this statement:

"It seems the deeper you dig into ANY field of study, the more sentences you find to describe it. From simple electronics to cosmological expansion, there exists a sentence for damn near everything".

[Image: WBa53in.png]

living word
26-09-2015, 09:23 PM
(26-09-2015 02:34 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(26-09-2015 02:31 PM)morondog Wrote:  It is also in your power to post shit that's on topic. If there's a mod reading, would you mind splitting Blowjob's narcissism out of this thread, and the replies to it?

Why you are at it, split off all Morondog's vitriol over to the viperspit.

How about BlowJob gets split off to the banned bin? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
26-09-2015, 10:58 PM
Thanks to whichever mod did the split Bowing

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
26-09-2015, 11:54 PM
(26-09-2015 10:58 PM)morondog Wrote:  Thanks to whichever mod did the split Bowing

T'was Moms.