[split] Beauty of Mathematics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2015, 02:03 PM
RE: Beauty of Mathematics
(24-09-2015 01:40 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(24-09-2015 12:38 PM)Timj Wrote:  People who say mathematics is "not impressive" probably never made it into Algebra I.

What is so impressive about using vocabulary, syntax, orthography, and logic to describe something? When you walk into a museum are you impressed at the plaques below the exhibit or are you impressed by the exhibits? Me, i read the plaques but I am not amazed by them nor am I amazed that the exhibit has a plaque that describes what it is. I am amazed by the exhibits themselves.

God, you're stupid. I'd explain why to you, but you still wouldn't comprehend the reasons.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2015, 02:08 PM
(24-09-2015 02:03 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  God, you're stupid. I'd explain why to you, but you still wouldn't comprehend the reasons.

I forgive you for calling me stupid. Do you see what you are doing? Instead of attacking my argument you attack me. What does that say about you and your position? It says, "lacking".
24-09-2015, 02:27 PM
(24-09-2015 01:28 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(24-09-2015 12:55 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  [Image: 15230_film-applause-clapping-total-film-...welles.gif]

Very well said.

I can't count the number of times I have been deep into a paper or book on physics and been literally awestruck by the power of math. And we've just scratched the surface on most of it.

Everyone has heard of e=mc2, but you really have to understand the maths behind it to full appreciate just HOW amazing those 5 characters are. Such a simple looking equation. SO much depth and beauty in what it describes.

You'll have to excuse blowjob, he's a fucking moron who doesn't comprehend math beyond an elementary level.

.... so why do I have to excuse him again?

I like e=mc^2, but for sheer mathematical poetry I'd have to go with Euler's Identity.

Because he can't help but be so stupid. It's sad, really.

Euler's Identity is another one that looks so simple, but describes so much.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
24-09-2015, 02:35 PM
(24-09-2015 01:25 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Math is the expression of ideas and concepts through vocabulary, syntax, and orthrography just like written and spoken languages. It goes beyond written and spoken languages in that it includes logic. Start adding logic to written and spoken languages and that leads you to mathematics. Like I said, Math is just language with some logic on the side. It is an improvement of something we already had and not some completely new or recent invention as your post seems to errantly suggest.

Ok, explain the difference between the Riemann and the Lebesgue integrals.

Thanks.
[+] 1 user Likes jockmcdock's post
24-09-2015, 02:43 PM
I can only speak for myself, but could you stop "forgiving" people?

I suspect we're really not interested.
[+] 3 users Like jockmcdock's post
24-09-2015, 02:48 PM
(24-09-2015 02:43 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  I can only speak for myself, but could you stop "forgiving" people?

I suspect we're really not interested.

I can't tell if he's just being an ass about it, or if he really is that stupid. His claim of "unprovoked" leads me to believe he's just being an ass, but neither would surprise me.

[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
24-09-2015, 02:48 PM
(24-09-2015 02:35 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  Ok, explain the difference between the Riemann and the Lebesgue integrals.

Thanks.

Lebesgue computes the sets which are not intervals.

What is your point?
24-09-2015, 02:59 PM
(24-09-2015 02:48 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Lebesgue computes the sets which are not intervals.

That doesn't make any sense, mate. I don't know what you're saying.
24-09-2015, 03:01 PM
(24-09-2015 02:48 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(24-09-2015 02:35 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  Ok, explain the difference between the Riemann and the Lebesgue integrals.

Thanks.

Lebesgue computes the sets which are not intervals.

What is your point?
Oh no! Someone is testing us on elementary calculus. I am currently in Partial Differential Equations. Hard as hell, but fun!
24-09-2015, 03:24 PM
(24-09-2015 02:43 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  I can only speak for myself, but could you stop "forgiving" people?

My forgiveness is my response to an insult. When the insults stop, my forgiveness will stop. You could use vocabulary, syntax, orthography, and logic to describe my forgiveness. Lets try it.

Let F = acts of forgiveness done by me.
Let I = acts of insults against me that I observe
Let P = the percentage of insults that which are not provoked.

F = I x P

Isn't that amazing? Are you astonished that there is equation which describes my forgiving? You're not.....because lets be honest. The ability to describe something is not all that impressive.

(24-09-2015 02:43 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  I suspect we're really not interested.

I suspect that deep down those who are insulting me are doing it because they want to be forgiven.