[split] Beauty of Mathematics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2015, 03:28 PM
RE: Beauty of Mathematics
(24-09-2015 03:24 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(24-09-2015 02:43 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  I can only speak for myself, but could you stop "forgiving" people?

My forgiveness is my response to an insult. When the insults stop, my forgiveness will stop. You could use vocabulary, syntax, orthography, and logic to describe my forgiveness. Lets try it.

Let F = acts of forgiveness done by me.
Let I = acts of insults against me that I observe
Let P = the percentage of insults that which are not provoked.

F = I x P

Isn't that amazing? Are you astonished that there is equation which describes my forgiving? You're not.....because lets be honest. The ability to describe something is not all that impressive.

(24-09-2015 02:43 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  I suspect we're really not interested.

I suspect that deep down those who are insulting me are doing it because they want to be forgiven.

Can you forgive me?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2015, 03:32 PM
(24-09-2015 03:24 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(24-09-2015 02:43 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  I can only speak for myself, but could you stop "forgiving" people?

My forgiveness is my response to an insult. When the insults stop, my forgiveness will stop. You could use vocabulary, syntax, orthography, and logic to describe my forgiveness. Lets try it.

Let F = acts of forgiveness done by me.
Let I = acts of insults against me that I observe
Let P = the percentage of insults that which are not provoked.

F = I x P

Isn't that amazing? Are you astonished that there is equation which describes my forgiving? You're not.....because lets be honest. The ability to describe something is not all that impressive.

Yabut, your "equation" (above) is to higher mathematics as "See Dick, see Jane" is to Shakespeare. Mathematics does a lot more than just "describe something".
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
24-09-2015, 03:34 PM
(24-09-2015 03:24 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  F = I x P

I suspect that deep down those who are insulting me are doing it because they want to be forgiven.

Mate, your formula is pathetic. It's actually embarrassing.

As I said, I can only speak for myself...but I really doubt we want to be forgiven.

Take a step back and reconsider. You seem like a nice bloke but if you come onto a forum like this, you have to expect a bit of slap and tickle.
24-09-2015, 03:46 PM
(24-09-2015 03:32 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Mathematics does a lot more than just "describe something".

Please tell us what it does other than describe stuff. Even a proof or solution is just a description of reality.
24-09-2015, 03:52 PM
(24-09-2015 03:46 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Please tell us what it does other than describe stuff. Even a proof or solution is just a description of reality.

We put men on the moon. That wasn't reality or "stuff" until we did it.

You're using a computer. That didn't exist 50 years ago.

You're being willfully ignorant.

But I forgive you.
24-09-2015, 03:56 PM
(24-09-2015 03:52 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(24-09-2015 03:46 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Please tell us what it does other than describe stuff. Even a proof or solution is just a description of reality.

We put men on the moon. That wasn't reality or "stuff" until we did it.

You're using a computer. That didn't exist 50 years ago.

You're being willfully ignorant.

But I forgive you.

We put men on the moon, math did not.
24-09-2015, 03:57 PM
(24-09-2015 03:46 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(24-09-2015 03:32 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Mathematics does a lot more than just "describe something".

Please tell us what it does other than describe stuff. Even a proof or solution is just a description of reality.

You're using a rather strange notion of "description". Euclid's proof that there are infinitely many prime numbers (to cite just one example) is a thing of beauty, as is the proof that the square root of 2 is irrational -- or Cantor's proof that the set of all integers and the set of all rational numbers are of equal orders of infinity, but that any continuous set of real numbers (no matter how small) is of a higher order of infinity than either of those. I don't see how you can call this sort of thing mere "description". Is Shakespeare just describing things? Have you no appreciation for artistry? Is Beethoven's 9th symphony no different than some beginning music student practicing scales?
24-09-2015, 03:57 PM
(24-09-2015 03:46 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

Just describe stuff? Are you serious? Millions of man hours from engineers, mathematicians, and computer scientists crunching numbers are the only thing making it possible for you to see this message right now. Math builds your bridges, electronics, weather forecasts, hell I can go on forever. I guarantee you if you look around in your house right now, everything you see was engineered or produced via mathematically controlled machinery.
[+] 2 users Like Timj's post
24-09-2015, 04:05 PM
(24-09-2015 03:56 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  We put men on the moon, math did not.

Good god. I don't believe I've ever heard a more ignorant statement.

You are an idiot. A complete and fucking idiot. Actually, you're not even bright enough to be an idiot.

Please don't forgive me.
[+] 1 user Likes jockmcdock's post
24-09-2015, 04:11 PM
(24-09-2015 04:05 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(24-09-2015 03:56 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  We put men on the moon, math did not.

Good god. I don't believe I've ever heard a more ignorant statement.

You are an idiot. A complete and fucking idiot. Actually, you're not even bright enough to be an idiot.

Please don't forgive me.

Hence why I simply insult the fucking moron. Many, including myself, have attempted to explain things to him, but he is immune to reason and logic. So, I just go with the old standby...

Fuck off, shithead.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister