[split] Beauty of Mathematics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2015, 05:48 PM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2015 05:52 PM by Heywood Jahblome.)
RE: Beauty of Mathematics
(24-09-2015 04:05 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  Please don't forgive me.

Well I do forgive you.....and I forgive itsmeandnotyou. I am surprised that you would stoop to insults. For some people, they sling insults because intellectually....that is all they have. Jockmcdock, you are bright enough not to have to engage in gutter tactics......I think you're just being lazy here.

Anyways, Math is not a force. It is not a cause that propagates effects. Men went to the moon because of forces and causes. Saying math took men to the moon is like saying spoken and written language took men to the moon. Or grit and bravery. Or hard work. The moon doesn't happen without those other things.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2015, 06:03 PM
(24-09-2015 05:48 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(24-09-2015 04:05 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  Please don't forgive me.

Well I do forgive you.....and I forgive itsmeandnotyou. I am surprised that you would stoop to insults. For some people, they sling insults because intellectually....that is all they have. Jockmcdock, you are bright enough not to have to engage in gutter tactics......I think you're just being lazy here.

Anyways, Math is not a force. It is not a cause that propagates effects. Men went to the moon because of forces and causes. Saying math took men to the moon is like saying spoken and written language took men to the moon. Or grit and bravery. Or hard work. The moon doesn't happen without those other things.

I truly pity you. I don't know if you are playing dumb or just plain dumb.
[+] 4 users Like Timj's post
24-09-2015, 06:06 PM
(24-09-2015 06:03 PM)Timj Wrote:  
(24-09-2015 05:48 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Well I do forgive you.....and I forgive itsmeandnotyou. I am surprised that you would stoop to insults. For some people, they sling insults because intellectually....that is all they have. Jockmcdock, you are bright enough not to have to engage in gutter tactics......I think you're just being lazy here.

I truly pity you. I don't know if you are playing dumb or just plain dumb.

Why not both?

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
24-09-2015, 06:17 PM
(24-09-2015 06:03 PM)Timj Wrote:  I truly pity you. I don't know if you are playing dumb or just plain dumb.

From my perspective, Timj, you're butthurt because someone doesn't agree with you.
24-09-2015, 06:27 PM
(24-09-2015 06:18 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I don't know why Heywood's got to derp in every thread.
I don't know why people feel it necessary to respond to him.

I'd love it if many of you, those unwilling to be civil, simply ignored me.
24-09-2015, 06:37 PM
(24-09-2015 03:56 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(24-09-2015 03:52 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  We put men on the moon. That wasn't reality or "stuff" until we did it.

You're using a computer. That didn't exist 50 years ago.

You're being willfully ignorant.

But I forgive you.

We put men on the moon, math did not.

Don't be ridiculous.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-09-2015, 09:07 PM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2015 09:51 PM by ZoraPrime.)
(24-09-2015 01:54 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Written and spoken languages can describe things too. Why? Because humans have the ability to describe the world. All math is a language with a little logic on the side. That allows us to describe the world in a little more detail than we can with words alone. Nothing really amazing about it.

To say that math provides a "little more detail" is like saying a 4K television provides a little more detail than the same image condensed to 4 pixels. The precision obtained with mathematics cannot be understated; to brush it off "as another way of knowing" is just disingenuous.

But if you're so inclined, please provide conceptual explanation to these problems without referencing mathematics:
  • Why does the quantum harmonic oscillator have equally spaced energy levels?
  • Why does a central force necessarily conservative?
  • Why does energy "lost" from dipole dissipation depend on the relative phase of an oscillating electric field and oscillating polarization density?
  • why does the refractive index depend on wavelength?
  • Why can quantum spin only be determinate along one axis?
  • Why can't momentum and position be known simultaneously? Be more specific than "Heisenberg uncertainty principle"--that's not a fundamental assumption of Q.M. The Heisenberg microscope (which is the most "conceptual" explanation) gives the wrong result, so you can't use that either.
  • Why does dipole radiation depend on the acceleration? Why does doubling the acceleration approximately quadruple the radiation power?
  • Why is the interior of a hallow charged sphere have zero electric field?
  • Why does doubling the temperature of a blackbody increase the power radiate by a factor of sixteen?
  • Why are distribution of sums of random variables bell-shaped?
  • Why do only parabolic mirrors focus parallel rays at a point?

Half these deal with quantum mechanics because it's a prime example of letting mathematics do the talking when our intuition, words, etc. might otherwise fail that. Moreover, while I try to ask questions without referring to mathematics, it's inherently impossible. The last question, for example, only makes sense if I call the mirrors parabolic. I need to call the shape something. And I'm sure you'll probably just pop all these questions into google and type in the first sentence in whatever result or find or something; but to actually understand and predict these is damn-near impossible. And you're not going to get precise answers either.

And the precision matters a lot. We discovered photons (and really, a lot of quantum mechanics) only because we saw the same damn constant in multiple circumstances--namely, Planck's constant. I don't think that idea would have occurred to us without mathematics (in this case, regression analysis) being able to pinpoint what this constant is.

Anyway, I've said enough. I think everyone here agrees that the position you've taken is intellectually dishonest and that I'm just beating a dead horse at this point.
[+] 4 users Like ZoraPrime's post
24-09-2015, 09:14 PM
(24-09-2015 06:27 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(24-09-2015 06:18 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I don't know why Heywood's got to derp in every thread.
I don't know why people feel it necessary to respond to him.

I'd love it if many of you, those unwilling to be civil, simply ignored me.

I'd love it if they banned your troll ass. I don't think either of us is going to get what we want.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
24-09-2015, 09:52 PM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2015 09:59 PM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(24-09-2015 09:07 PM)ZoraPrime Wrote:  To say that math provides a "little more detail" is like saying a 4K television provides a little more detail than the same image condensed to 4 pixels. The precision obtained with mathematics cannot be understated; to brush it off "as another way of knowing" is just disingenuous.

Zora, you misunderstand me if you think I believe math provides "little more detail". Math is the language of God....but it is none the less a language. It isn't some force or cause in nature. Math doesn't send people to the moon or cause the tides to come in any more than English does. The OP is amazed there is an equation for everything. Well there is an English sentence for everything too.....but I am sure the OP doesn't find that fact of nature too interesting or amazing. Does that make him intellectually dishonest? If it doesn't why am I intellectually dishonest for not being surprised or amazed that an equation can be written to describe virtually anything?

OP(and others) are butthurt because I don't share their amazement. That is what this thread boils down too.
24-09-2015, 09:54 PM
(24-09-2015 09:14 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(24-09-2015 06:27 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I'd love it if many of you, those unwilling to be civil, simply ignored me.

I'd love it if they banned your troll ass. I don't think either of us is going to get what we want.

You could always ignore me......but you don't because occasionally I say something you find interesting.