[split] Chippy vs the World

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2013, 01:20 PM
RE: [split] Chippy vs the World
(08-11-2013 12:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  People here have always made them.

Why did Christsays get banned? For his behavior.

Because it was felt by the person who took the decision that he was solely here to troll. This is not something that applies to Chippy.

If you think that abusive comments should be allowed then where do you stand on Chippy? I thought you wanted him gone but is that not the case?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
08-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Quote:Chippy's different, he's not a troll, he can just be an ass sometimes.
Sometimes?

But ok, that's what I'm saying. It is your job as mods to decide if someone is an ass too often , or just sometimes. And when he crossed the line when he can't be tolerated any more.

Quote:That's where the problem is. We currently have no rule against being an ass, it fact it's practically specifically stated to be allowed.
Ok, then tell anybody who complains that they can FO.

This is ridiculous.

"Ban him, he's an ass"
"You are an ass too"
"No, you are"
"No, you are"
Quote:They pretty much exclusively stay past the line.
Because there is no line, as you said, even if some people want it drawn.

Quote:Thanks for the response though, it's nice to have someone tell me why they disagree rather than just saying they do. Smile
You're welcome.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
08-11-2013, 01:35 PM
(08-11-2013 01:27 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  But ok, that's what I'm saying. It is your job as mods to decide if someone is an ass too often , or just sometimes. And when he crossed the line when he can't be tolerated any more.

That's never been the way this forum has operated. There's never been an approach on if people are being as ass "too much", people have always been allowed to say as they please pretty much.

(08-11-2013 01:27 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Ok, then tell anybody who complains that they can FO.

This is ridiculous.

"Ban him, he's an ass"
"You are an ass too"
"No, you are"
"No, you are"

My preferred solution is that people just ignore those they dislike. Many people here manage it but many more seem incapable. The example I heard recently was that if a person dislikes another person in real life they ignore/avoid that person and get on with life. They don't demand a restraining order from the police. I would like it if people acted the same way on here.

Quote:Because there is no line, as you said, even if some people want it drawn.

But if the line was drawn the same people who demanded it would be just as quick to complain if one of their friends got banned because of it. That's my point, people want it applied to those they don't like, they want themselves and their friends to be immune though. That's what I'm more opposed to than anything.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
08-11-2013, 01:43 PM
(08-11-2013 01:20 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(08-11-2013 12:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  People here have always made them.

Why did Christsays get banned? For his behavior.

Because it was felt by the person who took the decision that he was solely here to troll. This is not something that applies to Chippy.

If you think that abusive comments should be allowed then where do you stand on Chippy? I thought you wanted him gone but is that not the case?

I'd love to see him gone. Yes

I think he is here primarily to cause trouble - he appears to thrive on it. That is my opinion; there are those who agree and those who disagree.
If I were Admin, I would have already banned him under Rule 5. I think I said this previously, maybe not.

It is up to whoever is Admin to make that call.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-11-2013, 01:45 PM
(08-11-2013 01:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  I'd love to see him gone. Yes

I think he is here primarily to cause trouble - he appears to thrive on it. That is my opinion; there are those who agree and those who disagree.
If I were Admin, I would have already banned him under Rule 5. I think I said this previously, maybe not.

I see him more like a muffs, a good guy who over-reacts to anything he feels may be a slight.

I understand your position better now. Smile

Best
Worst
08-11-2013, 02:10 PM
(08-11-2013 01:45 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  

I see him more like a muffs, a good guy who over-reacts to anything he feels may be a slight.

Ok - Under Rule 5 I would think that wishing cancer on someone is a pretty direct violation of that. There are some things you just don't say. If we can make pedophilia a banned topic because of the emotional distress, then certainly wishing cancer on someone when a few of our members either have survived it themselves, or are dealing with it would fall under the spirit of this rule.

That being said - I don't think chippy should necessarily be banned for that. Warned? Yup. Banned? Not at this time.

He is a complete jerk and is a psychologist's wet dream, but where this site is hosted is a free country. You are free to be a total ass if you want. Thats why we have the ignore list as an option.

*As a footnote, I would like to put chippy on notice that if he sinks so low as to tell me that he hopes my next child gets dies in utero too, I will ask for a ban for him.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
08-11-2013, 02:14 PM
(08-11-2013 01:45 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  

Well, that's a good thing.

I think you did a good job on Rule 5 - it makes it the Admin judgement call.

There is no surprise that people will react differently to situations and that whatever the Admin decides will probably be liked by some and disliked by others.

There will be dust-ups in the future, and there will be mobs with pitchforks and torches at the gates if it is perceived that wrongs are not being addressed.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-11-2013, 02:15 PM
(08-11-2013 02:10 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Ok - Under Rule 5 I would think that wishing cancer on someone is a pretty direct violation of that. There are some things you just don't say. If we can make pedophilia a banned topic because of the emotional distress, then certainly wishing cancer on someone when a few of our members either have survived it themselves, or are dealing with it would fall under the spirit of this rule.

That being said - I don't think chippy should necessarily be banned for that. Warned? Yup. Banned? Not at this time.

He is a complete jerk and is a psychologist's wet dream, but where this site is hosted is a free country. You are free to be a total ass if you want. Thats why we have the ignore list as an option.

*As a footnote, I would like to put chippy on notice that if he sinks so low as to tell me that he hopes my next child gets dies in utero too, I will ask for a ban for him.

Rule 5 was more for people who are literally just trolling than those who can be asses. That's why muffs gets away with repeatedly and publicly wishing that Woofs (and all that he loves and holds dear) burns in Hell for eternity.

Best
Worst
08-11-2013, 02:22 PM
(08-11-2013 02:15 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  That's why muffs gets away with repeatedly and publicly wishing that Woofs (and all that he loves and holds dear) burns in Hell for eternity.

Because it's a real threat........ Rolleyes

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
08-11-2013, 02:23 PM
so members can be as mean and disrespectful to each other as they wish? That is good to know.
[+] 1 user Likes Abeautifulmind's post