[split] Climate Change - General Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2017, 04:31 AM
RE: [split] Climate Change - General Discussion
(13-06-2017 03:50 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Okay folks own up, who summoned Satan ?

Yahweh?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
13-06-2017, 05:59 AM
(13-06-2017 04:31 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(13-06-2017 03:50 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Okay folks own up, who summoned Satan ?

Yahweh?
That would figure, Yahweh wants to torture us with our very own resident conspiracy theorist, time to get out the metal washers string and cardboard. Laugh out load
24-06-2017, 04:54 PM
(10-06-2017 04:03 PM)morondog Wrote:  Ah, so you have a *better* theory ™ ? Let's hear it.

How warm was Greenland during the last interglacial period?

Here, we provide an independent assessment of the average LIG Greenland surface warming using ice core air isotopic composition (δ15N) and relationships between accumulation rate and temperature. The LIG surface temperature at the upstream NEEM deposition site without ice sheet altitude correction is estimated to be warmer by +8.5 ± 2.5 °C compared to the preindustrial period.

http://www.clim-past.net/12/1933/2016/

Estimates indicate that the MIS 11 high sea stand likely was at least + 9 m (relative to present sea level) and could have been as high as + 24 m. The most conservative estimates of palaeo-sea level during MIS 11 would require an ice mass loss equivalent to all of the modern Greenland and West Antarctic ice sheets; the more extreme estimates would require additional ice mass loss from the East Antarctic ice sheet.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/art...p=y#bb0280

You're amidst an Inter-Glacial Period. Temperatures are supposed to rise, that's what happens.

From the peer-reviewed papers published above, 7.5°C corresponds to 13.5°F warmer.

Note that the pre-industrial period is pegged at 13.8°C or 56.8°F, so add 56.8°F + 13.5°F = 70.3°F.

Prove that Earth should not reach the temperatures attained during the last Inter-Glacial Period.

The enemy numbered six hundred - including women and children - and we abolished them utterly, leaving not even a baby alive to cry for its dead mother. This is incomparably the greatest victory that was ever achieved by the Christian soldiers of the United States. -- Mark Twain
24-06-2017, 05:17 PM
(11-06-2017 06:14 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I wouldn't hold your breath mate, not where someone who believes medicine is pseudo science is concerned. Drinking Beverage

Science is universal. That means it's true throughout the entire Universe every time, all the time.

When I add a Base to and Acid, say Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) to Hydrochloric Acid, I get H2O (Water) and a Salt (in this case Sodium Chloride or table salt).

That's true everywhere in the Universe....on Earth, on the Moon, on another planet like Jupiter, in another galaxy like Andromeda and so on.

Not only will I get H2O and a Salt, I can calculate the exact amount of H2O and Salt will be created.

If real Science was not universal, you'd never be able to land a man on the Moon, or if you did, the astronauts would be marooned there. The Laws of Gravity are universal, applicable everywhere in the Universe, because Physics is real Science.

If Medicine would be universal, then you would only need one anti-depressant instead of the currently existing 50+ anti-depressants on the Market.

If Medicine would be universal, then why do people die? Three people each with pneumonia are given anti-biotics. One person survives, one dies and one lives but with severe damage to the lungs.

If Medicine would be universal, then every treatment would have the exact same out-come, but that isn't the case.

Medicine and Psychiatry are "hit or miss" which isn't real Science. Science is about making predictions with absolute certainty and being correct 100% of the time.

The enemy numbered six hundred - including women and children - and we abolished them utterly, leaving not even a baby alive to cry for its dead mother. This is incomparably the greatest victory that was ever achieved by the Christian soldiers of the United States. -- Mark Twain
24-06-2017, 05:24 PM
(24-06-2017 05:17 PM)Mircea Wrote:  
(11-06-2017 06:14 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I wouldn't hold your breath mate, not where someone who believes medicine is pseudo science is concerned. Drinking Beverage

Science is universal. That means it's true throughout the entire Universe every time, all the time.

When I add a Base to and Acid, say Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) to Hydrochloric Acid, I get H2O (Water) and a Salt (in this case Sodium Chloride or table salt).

That's true everywhere in the Universe....on Earth, on the Moon, on another planet like Jupiter, in another galaxy like Andromeda and so on.

Not only will I get H2O and a Salt, I can calculate the exact amount of H2O and Salt will be created.

If real Science was not universal, you'd never be able to land a man on the Moon, or if you did, the astronauts would be marooned there. The Laws of Gravity are universal, applicable everywhere in the Universe, because Physics is real Science.

If Medicine would be universal, then you would only need one anti-depressant instead of the currently existing 50+ anti-depressants on the Market.

If Medicine would be universal, then why do people die? Three people each with pneumonia are given anti-biotics. One person survives, one dies and one lives but with severe damage to the lungs.

If Medicine would be universal, then every treatment would have the exact same out-come, but that isn't the case.

Medicine and Psychiatry are "hit or miss" which isn't real Science. Science is about making predictions with absolute certainty and being correct 100% of the time.

Nice false equivalence...

In fact when I saw you bumped this thread I anticipated nothing less.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
24-06-2017, 05:31 PM

How have I missed you? You are a special kind of dipshit, aren't you?

I won't waste the keystrokes to try to explain why.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
24-06-2017, 05:34 PM

Congratulations this is the most ridiculous post I've ever seen here period, you clearly know nothing about medicine, and variable factors such as patient age predisposing factors such as immune suppression etc your definition of science is too narrow and anyway medical science is only hit or miss due to massive variables in patients. Your post is a massive straw man.
24-06-2017, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2017 08:43 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(24-06-2017 04:54 PM)Mircea Wrote:  Prove that Earth should not reach the temperatures attained during the last Inter-Glacial Period.

See the below linked information to answer your question:

https://skepticalscience.com/LIG2-1906.html

In brief, circumstances were different before than they are today in terms of solar radiation and the position of the Earth relative to the Sun. Regional differences, like the temperatures in Greenland, are why you have to look at global averages.

Typical interglacial periods last about 10,000 years, and we are already near the end of that period for the present interglacial. If it weren't for human influences, we would be faced with global average temperatures beginning to fall again within the next 1000 or 1500 years. As it is, we have pushed off the beginning of the next ice age for at least 41,000 years. Further (if I remember my reading correctly), temperatures typically peak at the beginning of interglacials and very slowly fall thereafter.

During previous interglacials, CO2 did not rise above 300 ppm. Today, CO2 is over 400 ppm for the first time in hundreds of thousands of years, and most of that is due to humans burning fossil fuels. Only human influences can explain the climate changes we are now observing. There are no significant changes to the Sun's output or the orbit of the Earth to explain present climate change, especially considering changes are happening roughly ten times faster than any natural cycle.

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
25-06-2017, 03:31 AM
(24-06-2017 05:17 PM)Mircea Wrote:  If Medicine would be universal, then you would only need one anti-depressant instead of the currently existing 50+ anti-depressants on the Market.

Your understanding of science is flawed. Science is not about absolute certainty. Otherwise the entire field of probability theory would be unnecessary. Also Quantum mechanics, the essence of hard science is ever there was one, sets fundamental limits on how certain one can be of anything.

The only people who're ever certain about anything are religious zealots, and they're certainly wrong.

Medicine is very much a science. Human bodies are complicated, which is why it's currently a bit hit and miss. But the basic cycle of hypothesis, experiment, results, theory is certainly the basis of modern medicine.

People like you who denigrate the careful work of generations of bona fide scientists, just because it conflicts with your crappy ideas, make me quite angry.

Incidentally if you're correct about this interglacial period, why is that not the consensus opinion?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
25-06-2017, 04:06 AM
(25-06-2017 03:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(24-06-2017 05:17 PM)Mircea Wrote:  If Medicine would be universal, then you would only need one anti-depressant instead of the currently existing 50+ anti-depressants on the Market.

Your understanding of science is flawed. Science is not about absolute certainty. Otherwise the entire field of probability theory would be unnecessary. Also Quantum mechanics, the essence of hard science is ever there was one, sets fundamental limits on how certain one can be of anything.

The only people who're ever certain about anything are religious zealots, and they're certainly wrong.

Medicine is very much a science. Human bodies are complicated, which is why it's currently a bit hit and miss. But the basic cycle of hypothesis, experiment, results, theory is certainly the basis of modern medicine.

People like you who denigrate the careful work of generations of bona fide scientists, just because it conflicts with your crappy ideas, make me quite angry.

Incidentally if you're correct about this interglacial period, why is that not the consensus opinion?

Like you I am quite staggered by his post and as an RN somewhat insulted.