[split] Climate Change - General Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2017, 08:26 AM
RE: [split] Climate Change - General Discussion
(24-05-2017 08:20 AM)Walter Wrote:  
(23-05-2017 07:24 PM)Vera Wrote:  Nah, just the muffin man, seated at the table in the laboratory of the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen.

It is fascinating how my skepticism generates so much anguish. In other skeptics.

Think of it this way. We are skeptical about the same things, except two.

Anthropogenic Global Warming and Bill Nye.

No one is in "anguish" over your "skepticism." Skepticism isn't the issue. The issues are: 1) You haven't actually presented any refutation of ACC. You present anecdotes for what you think are examples of how science is flawed but at best only show the gullibility via ignorance of the general population who can't read the scientific literature without making incorrect over-generalizations for nutrition related studies. 2) You assert that you're a scientist as if this qualifies your "skepticism" as that of an expert's opinion. Except you've not actually validated that you're a scientist but even if you are a scientist in a field unrelated to climate, you are no more qualified to comment on climate science than any other amateur. So your constant stream of assertions of your expertise and intelligence are just ranting and raving as a way of trying to appeal to yourself as some sort of authority. Except even a cursory read of the literature on climate change would show you to be a fraud. 3) You don't engage with any of the science given to you in rebuttal. So not only do you not present science to back-up your "skepticism," you can't and don't refute the science of climate change.

What is sad (but doesn't leave me in anguish) is that there are probably people out there who are too ignorant of the science to know you're full of shit. Meaning that you, like so many preachers, are leading people astray into a world of complete bullshit.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
24-05-2017, 08:44 AM
(24-05-2017 08:08 AM)Vera Wrote:  Repeating your vomit all over the forum doesn't make it any truer or less ridiculous.

What is fascinating is that skepticism now requires an advanced degree in chemistry, physics or mathematics. And in the case of anthropogenic global warming, a climate science degree.

How did we get to this point? I think everyone should be a skeptic, especially when churches and governments attempt to frighten us.

Why does that simple statement cause so much emotion?

It is interesting. A six decade long nutrition study (still ongoing), with fear of saturated animal fat as the major component, using 300 million people as involuntary guinea pigs, gets a big shrug of the shoulders. A 60 year anecdote.

I was a teenage housekeeper and autopsy assistant back in the 1960s in Baltimore. Believe me, I know what vomit is.
24-05-2017, 08:52 AM
(24-05-2017 08:44 AM)Walter Wrote:  
(24-05-2017 08:08 AM)Vera Wrote:  Repeating your vomit all over the forum doesn't make it any truer or less ridiculous.

What is fascinating is that skepticism now requires an advanced degree in chemistry, physics or mathematics. And in the case of anthropogenic global warming, a climate science degree.

How did we get to this point? I think everyone should be a skeptic, especially when churches and governments attempt to frighten us.

Why does that simple statement cause so much emotion?

It is interesting. A six decade long nutrition study (still ongoing), with fear of saturated animal fat as the major component, using 300 million people as involuntary guinea pigs, gets a big shrug of the shoulders. A 60 year anecdote.

I was a teenage housekeeper and autopsy assistant back in the 1960s in Baltimore. Believe me, I know what vomit is.

"What is fascinating is that skepticism now requires an advanced degree in chemistry, physics or mathematics. And in the case of anthropogenic global warming, a climate science degree."

Literally no one has said or implied this. In fact, many of the people replying to you possess no advanced degrees. So you are calling them hypocrites except you're presenting a straw man.

"It is interesting. A six decade long nutrition study (still ongoing), with fear of saturated animal fat as the major component, using 300 million people as involuntary guinea pigs, gets a big shrug of the shoulders. A 60 year anecdote. "

No one gives a fuck. This isn't about nutrition. If you want to rant and rave about a completely unrelated topic in order to make yourself feel smart, start a new thread and see if anyone else actually gives a shit.

-Rick
[+] 4 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
24-05-2017, 08:52 AM
And only pilots can fly planes and only surgeons can operate on people. What the fuck is wrong with this world, I aks ya!

[Image: tumblr_nzexp7Efvh1stt2imo1_500.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
24-05-2017, 08:55 AM
(24-05-2017 08:52 AM)Vera Wrote:  And only pilots can fly planes and only surgeons can operate on people. What the fuck is wrong with this world, I aks ya!

[Image: tumblr_nzexp7Efvh1stt2imo1_500.gif]

Well, I mean...anyone can fly a plane and anyone can do surgery. As to whether or not the plane would successfully land or the person would survive the surgery if an amateur were doing either, well that is much more debatable.

Walter is the guy who went to school and got a degree or two in a health-related field, and now thinks he is qualified to debate the literature on quantum mechanics with physicists. It is arrogance via stupidity that is enhanced by delusions of grandeur.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
24-05-2017, 08:58 AM
(23-05-2017 12:51 PM)Walter Wrote:  I am skeptical that the human species is a major driver of climate. Just as the phase of the moon could be deleted as a variable in the reaction rate equation, the human species could be deleted from the climate equation.

My first hand account of the saccharine scare in the 1970s and that little ongoing nutrition study started in the 1950s has simply reinforced that skepticism.

As noted many times here, there are 50,000 peer reviewed studies confirming that saturated animal fat gives humans heart disease...

You must've missed my comment about your "false equivalences"?

Your entire knowledge base [sic ] seems to revolve around irrelevancies. Quite amusing actually. Facepalm

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
24-05-2017, 09:03 AM
(24-05-2017 08:20 AM)Walter Wrote:  It is fascinating how my skepticism generates so much anguish. In other skeptics.

I see anger at having misinterpreted what we say and I see corrections, but no anguish per se. We are already quite well-aware of the many ACC deniers in the world.

And just because there are now many climate change alarmists and activists does not mean the science isn't correct. You still have to actually study the science, which is now abundantly available.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
24-05-2017, 09:07 AM
(24-05-2017 08:58 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Your entire knowledge base [sic ] seems to revolve around irrelevancies. Quite amusing actually. Facepalm

Walter is arguing from analogies without admitting how weak such arguments are.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
24-05-2017, 09:24 AM
(24-05-2017 08:55 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Well, I mean...anyone can fly a plane and anyone can do surgery. As to whether or not the plane would successfully land or the person would survive the surgery if an amateur were doing either, well that is much more debatable.

Walter is the guy who went to school and got a degree or two in a health-related field, and now thinks he is qualified to debate the literature on quantum mechanics with physicists. It is arrogance via stupidity that is enhanced by delusions of grandeur.

Well, the first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club *is* that you don't have the foggiest you're in it, so...

[Image: google-what-i-want-to-be-true-l-coleco-v...215516.png]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Vera's post
24-05-2017, 10:36 AM
(24-05-2017 08:52 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  No one gives a fuck. This isn't about nutrition. If you want to rant and rave about a completely unrelated topic in order to make yourself feel smart, start a new thread and see if anyone else actually gives a shit.

They are very closely related. Members of the same science community with different degrees.

More perspective.

The first time I heard of Hussein’s weapons of mass destruction, my skeptic red flag immediately went up. “What? Really? Isn’t Hussein just another Khadafi, a bully in a sandbox? Does he really have weapons systems which threaten the free world?”

Prior to this attempted government scare, that same red flag went up with saccharine, saturated animal fat and carbon dioxide.

This somehow makes me a bad skeptic. If I could just make that one exception for carbon dioxide, I would be a good skeptic.

Science fails when adopting a creed.