[split] Climate Change - General Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2017, 10:47 AM
RE: [split] Climate Change - General Discussion
(24-05-2017 10:36 AM)Walter Wrote:  
(24-05-2017 08:52 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  No one gives a fuck. This isn't about nutrition. If you want to rant and rave about a completely unrelated topic in order to make yourself feel smart, start a new thread and see if anyone else actually gives a shit.

They are very closely related. Members of the same science community with different degrees.

More perspective.

The first time I heard of Hussein’s weapons of mass destruction, my skeptic red flag immediately went up. “What? Really? Isn’t Hussein just another Khadafi, a bully in a sandbox? Does he really have weapons systems which threaten the free world?”

Prior to this attempted government scare, that same red flag went up with saccharine, saturated animal fat and carbon dioxide.

This somehow makes me a bad skeptic. If I could just make that one exception for carbon dioxide, I would be a good skeptic.

Science fails when adopting a creed.

"They are very closely related. "

No, they aren't

What techniques and subjects directly related to climatology and paleoclimatology are you familiar with at any level beyond that of amateur?
Do you know:
Oceanography (physical and chemical both. Ocean circulation, ocean mixing, nutrient fluxes, solubility of aragonite, anoxia/dysoxia, the relationship between ocean and atmospheric circulation, etc)
Sedimentary geology (things like sequence stratigraphy and reconstructing sea level histories and reconstructing paleoenvironments)
Geochemistry (stable isotopes in fossils, cements, and cores. Terrestrial and/or ocean biomarkers, etc)
Paleontology (use of fossils for reconstructing climate histories and identifying faunal and/or floral turnover associated with climatic and/or environmental perturbation)
The Global Carbon Cycle?
Glacial geology (such as the development and loss of ice sheets or the way that ice core records are produced and interpreted. Measuring ice coverage vs measuring ice volume)

Please tell us in sufficient detail about at least some of these topics/subjects/techniques related to climate change that your "expertise" qualifies you as an expert on

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
24-05-2017, 11:37 AM
(24-05-2017 08:55 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Walter is the guy who went to school and got a degree or two in a health-related field, and now thinks he is qualified to debate the literature on quantum mechanics with physicists. It is arrogance via stupidity that is enhanced by delusions of grandeur.

Delusions of grandeur? For being skeptical when government attempts to frighten me?

I am not sure where you got this idea. My father’s intellect was an order of magnitude (well, two really) above mine. He could actually sit down with a William Happer or a Steve McIntyre and talk about physics or mathematics.

Not me.
24-05-2017, 11:44 AM
(24-05-2017 11:37 AM)Walter Wrote:  
(24-05-2017 08:55 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Walter is the guy who went to school and got a degree or two in a health-related field, and now thinks he is qualified to debate the literature on quantum mechanics with physicists. It is arrogance via stupidity that is enhanced by delusions of grandeur.

Delusions of grandeur? For being skeptical when government attempts to frighten me?

I am not sure where you got this idea. My father’s intellect was an order of magnitude (well, two really) above mine. He could actually sit down with a William Happer or a Steve McIntyre and talk about physics or mathematics.

Not me.

Not a single relevant comment made by you. Try again Drinking Beverage

-Rick
24-05-2017, 12:10 PM
(24-05-2017 10:47 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(24-05-2017 10:36 AM)Walter Wrote:  They are very closely related. Members of the same science community with different degrees.

More perspective.

"They are very closely related. "

No, they aren't

Fuck, I'm a former field biologist, and I don't even attempt to pretend I'm more than an amateur in this field, if the subject is much outside my specific area of expertise. I am an expert in genetics, virology, organic/biochemistry, and know quite a bit about evolution in general... but there are dozens of sub-fields (say, botany, or entomology) in which I am only a well-read amateur, as far as trying to understand the top-level materials in the field go. I could talk about the subjects in general, but I'd be lost when trying to follow the scientific journals on those sub-topics, and again-- that's in my field of study.

All that said, I could at least understand what the consensus was, if I wanted to, in a heated debate on a topic of particular interest to me, like the "top-down versus bottom-up" models of theropod flight evolution, and probably gain a decent-enough understanding of what the experts thought, and why they thought that.

Which tells me that you, Walter, are probably not reading the scientific literature on a serious level. The entire way your argument is phrased makes it appear to me that you base your position on emotionalism and anecdotes, and of course from reading websites which distort the facts. I have previously linked you to websites which point out why your "objections" are flawed, and poor TBD has been beating his head into a brick wall trying to get you to understand that your generalized "science doesn't know anything because this one field of semi-scientific research got something wrong back in the 70s" does not have anything to do with the current opinion of every major expert on this subject-- from geophysicists to geologists to ecologists/biologists of every stripe, whose work can hardly be said to be on the same level with nutrition "science".

Now stop whining about how abused you are for your skepticism, and realize that it is not your skepticism we're criticizing. We're criticizing you for BAD METHODS OF skepticism, and for sticking to your guns even when they're pointed out. That's not skepticism, that's plugging your ears and shouting "I can't hear you!"

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
24-05-2017, 01:36 PM
(24-05-2017 11:37 AM)Walter Wrote:  My father’s intellect was an order of magnitude (well, two really) above mine.

That ain't a compliment.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
24-05-2017, 06:14 PM
(24-05-2017 08:26 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  What is sad (but doesn't leave me in anguish) is that there are probably people out there who are too ignorant of the science to know you're full of shit. Meaning that you, like so many preachers, are leading people astray into a world of complete bullshit.

What discipline does this asshole claim to be from, BeardedClam? I know you're a scientist because I have read your journal articles. Don't see any evidence of a scientist in this one.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
24-05-2017, 06:48 PM
(24-05-2017 06:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(24-05-2017 08:26 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  What is sad (but doesn't leave me in anguish) is that there are probably people out there who are too ignorant of the science to know you're full of shit. Meaning that you, like so many preachers, are leading people astray into a world of complete bullshit.

What discipline does this asshole claim to be from, BeardedClam? I know you're a scientist because I have read your journal articles. Don't see any evidence of a scientist in this one.

I think he fancies himself a nutrition scientist. But fuck if I know Drinking Beverage

-Rick
24-05-2017, 11:52 PM
(24-05-2017 06:48 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(24-05-2017 06:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What discipline does this asshole claim to be from, BeardedClam? I know you're a scientist because I have read your journal articles. Don't see any evidence of a scientist in this one.

I think he fancies himself a nutrition scientist. But fuck if I know Drinking Beverage

If you read his drivel with close attention you will find he claims to be some variety of chemist. Apparently the proof that he's a chemist is that he can recite names of out-of-date textbooks on his bookshelf. By that logic I'm a chemist, geologist, mathematician and physicist. Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
25-05-2017, 07:16 AM
(24-05-2017 12:10 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Now stop whining about how abused you are for your skepticism, and realize that it is not your skepticism we're criticizing. We're criticizing you for BAD METHODS OF skepticism, and for sticking to your guns even when they're pointed out. That's not skepticism, that's plugging your ears and shouting "I can't hear you!"

I can hear you perfectly fine. We just have different perspectives on science.

What is it about government, using science to frighten the general public, do you like most? Simple question. My answer: I like none of it.

We share skepticism about everything else (fear of Hell, fear of saccharine, fear of animal fat, fear of evolution, fear of Hussein’s weapons). The private sector has even gotten into the act with fear of wheat and fear of sugar. There is only one exception which comes to mind. Fear of carbon dioxide.

Are there others I missed?

A science degree is not required for those of us who raise skeptic red flags when others attempt to frighten us. My cosmetics sales lady mother and offset pressman brother are proof. Two more anecdotes.
25-05-2017, 07:28 AM
You wave the word scepticism around as if it were some sort of fucking amulet or a shield or a badge of fucking honour or something. It ain't. Doubting everything you encounter in your miserable life and thinking yourself smarter than all them arrogant experts (who the fuck they think they are, I iz more smarter than all of they) isn't anything to be proud of, it's pathetic.

Now gravity I sure as hell am sceptical about. Wanna assist me in an experiment and jump off a cliff? For science and scepticism, you know!

[Image: 336115_1.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post