[split] Conflicted

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2014, 03:07 PM
RE: [split] Conflicted
(17-03-2014 02:25 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I have a question regarding gay people's experiences.

I want to know if my perception is accurate or not.

In the original thread earmuffs says
Quote: I don't wanna be "that gay guy". I don't want that to be the center of every conversation I ever have from then on because I hate it, I'm over gay rights and gay issues and shit but I just know that that will be the center of every conversation.

My feeling is that straight people who are accepting of homosexuality, they don't care, its a non issue, as interesting as whether a person has blue eyes or not or whether a person prefers coke or pepsi.
It's either something you are born with or a personal choice it doesn't matter which and it is nobody's place to make judgement.

I personally don't refer to anyone as "that gay guy" and I've never had a conversation with anyone who has said anything like that.

So I feel for straights that accept gay then it is a non issue and isn't used as a defining label for someone.
But with straights that are prejudice of course it is an issue for them. But I'm not focussing on them in this question.

My question here is, once you are out, do you find that people who are accepting treat you differently? Do you think they think of you as "that gay guy/gal?"

In my experiences yes, you are treated differently, instead of them trying to set you up with the girl/guy that they know, its that gay guy/girl they know.

You get asked inane questions like: which one of you is the girl in the relationship? How do you know do it?

The questions though I would have rather than them making shit up as they go along.

Also the jokes change. Less homophobic jokes are told around you, or more depending on the company.( Some people are just assholes)

A lot of the changes can be positive though, if they care about you they will try and understand so they don't unintentionally offend you, or hurt you.

I found as well I had less stress or worry as i no longer had to hide or do the pronoun gymnastics in my head.

Do some regard me as that gay guy? yeah, they are assholes or narrow minded people not worth my time though.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Blackhand293's post
17-03-2014, 03:08 PM
RE: [split] Conflicted
(17-03-2014 02:25 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I have a question regarding gay people's experiences.

I want to know if my perception is accurate or not.

In the original thread earmuffs says
Quote: I don't wanna be "that gay guy". I don't want that to be the center of every conversation I ever have from then on because I hate it, I'm over gay rights and gay issues and shit but I just know that that will be the center of every conversation.

My feeling is that straight people who are accepting of homosexuality, they don't care, its a non issue, as interesting as whether a person has blue eyes or not or whether a person prefers coke or pepsi.
It's either something you are born with or a personal choice it doesn't matter which and it is nobody's place to make judgement.

I personally don't refer to anyone as "that gay guy" and I've never had a conversation with anyone who has said anything like that.

So I feel for straights that accept gay then it is a non issue and isn't used as a defining label for someone.
But with straights that are prejudice of course it is an issue for them. But I'm not focussing on them in this question.

My question here is, once you are out, do you find that people who are accepting treat you differently? Do you think they think of you as "that gay guy/gal?"

Maybe you *can* be totally cool about it because you're NOT in the US.

yanno........just sayin.
Here.......sad as it sounds, except for some special geography, you're judged and even shunned if you're gay.

Yep......Uh--muruuca is reeel spachul plaace summtymesWeeping

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply