[split] Conversations with Theists/Creationists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2015, 01:52 AM
RE: [split] Conversations with Theists/Creationists
(13-03-2015 12:32 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(12-03-2015 11:30 PM)A New Hope Wrote:  Lol have you ever heard of a church called the Westboro Baptist Church cause I feel like a good amount of you would fit in quite nicely just dont talk ahout your differneces in faith and I could easily see all of you being one big happy family. Yes I COULD go on some giant hunt, spend lots of time that I really dont have going on this huge journey to find the NoGod or I could simply wade through alot of your bullshit checking out the links that yall post up. So keep talking shit if it makes you feel better (I get it you probably have no sense of control over your life and are trying to take out these frustrations on me I know youll never admit but a little bit of introspection never hurt anyone Wink ) just keep the links coming please so that I may review them at my leisure. Also... troll? Lmao I must be pretty good at it since I didnt even realize thats what I was doing......

WBC is a thing because of your shitty religion. It's a sign of how ignorant and foolish Christianity is. We have given countless evidence for our side and you have given us nothing for yours. It's not our fault your too blind and dumb to see the evidence of evolution right in front of your face because you would rather believe in a sky daddy that kills thousands of people every month but is also too busy helping people win the lottery and putting Jesus' face on toast. We do not need to give you any more links because you will just reject them like you have the many others we have given you. You are supposedly in a Biology class, try opening up your fucking text book and actually reading it for once.
Also what links have I ever rejected I even LIKE most of the post with links so I can find them easier....?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2015, 03:53 AM
I have been loosely following this thread and this sketch keeps popping into my head:

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
[+] 5 users Like Eva's post
13-03-2015, 04:13 AM
(13-03-2015 03:53 AM)Eva Wrote:  I have been loosely following this thread and this sketch keeps popping into my head:

Call a prostitute I suppose. Smile priceless
13-03-2015, 08:18 AM
(13-03-2015 12:44 AM)A New Hope Wrote:  
(10-03-2015 08:00 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Your Inner Fish is a great book. Shubin's explaination on the mechanisms concerning how we got from fins to feet is simple enough for anyone to grasp. Well, anyone without a preexisting bias for goddidit anyway.
Lol well luckily just like with science it best to keep personal beliefs out of it and create a conclusion out of the whole picture otherewise your bias is more likely to influence your conclusion in the end.

What does that even mean? How is that responsive to the point?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-03-2015, 08:23 AM
(13-03-2015 12:42 AM)A New Hope Wrote:  
(10-03-2015 08:22 AM)unfogged Wrote:  A better question would be how the bible matches any evidence we have. As far as I can see, it doesn't in any meaningful way.
It does but you cant see because you do not wish to see.... I mean most christians do not wish to see either so its perfectly understandable. There has been no evidence ive ever looked at that disproves anything I believe

There is no evidence that supports what you believe, and that is more important.

Quote:... but thats less what im here for... im more here to see evolution the way yall see it.

If you wish to understand evolution, you will need to read some books and do some thinking. Then you may understand it. That's the way we see it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-03-2015, 11:09 AM
(13-03-2015 12:42 AM)A New Hope Wrote:  
(10-03-2015 08:22 AM)unfogged Wrote:  A better question would be how the bible matches any evidence we have. As far as I can see, it doesn't in any meaningful way.
It does but you cant see because you do not wish to see.... I mean most christians do not wish to see either so its perfectly understandable. There has been no evidence ive ever looked at that disproves anything I believe... but thats less what im here for... im more here to see evolution the way yall see it.

That seems to be a key difference. Theists start with a conclusion and believe it until it is positively disproved. Along the way they modify and stretch their conclusion to keep it despite evidence (e.g. the 6 day creation becomes 6 "god days" of some kind to allow for an older Earth, evolution within "kinds" is accepted but the development of new species is denied, etc).

The skeptic's approach is to start with the evidence and determine what explanation best fits the facts. Nothing is believed to be true until there is actual evidence supporting the conclusion. That's why it often leads to atheism; there just isn't any actual evidence for a god existing that stands up to scrutiny. The best offered so far boils down to "we don't know, therefore god" which is not a sound reasoning process.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
13-03-2015, 02:12 PM
(13-03-2015 12:35 AM)A New Hope Wrote:  Lol I guess youve probably already heard it but the bible says that a day with the lord is an eternity for us meaning that he doesn't measure himself by earthly days.... that would be beyond silly I mean of all the planets out there why would he limit his day to earths? And why would anyone limit themselves by the limits set on their own creation? But I guess youve probably heard that one.... Confused

Yes we have heard that one and it's wrong. The original Hebrew account of Genesis 1 uses the word yôm which unambiguously means a 24 hour period. There are a great many words that can be used to describe a creative process spanning a far longer period of time and none of them are used at all. The writer of Genesis, whoever it actually was, goes out of his way to use, and use exclusively, words that apply only to 24 hour time period.

You are trying to mutilate the text to make it fit a modern understanding of the age of the earth to maintain your personal superstition.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
13-03-2015, 02:37 PM
(13-03-2015 02:12 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(13-03-2015 12:35 AM)A New Hope Wrote:  Lol I guess youve probably already heard it but the bible says that a day with the lord is an eternity for us meaning that he doesn't measure himself by earthly days.... that would be beyond silly I mean of all the planets out there why would he limit his day to earths? And why would anyone limit themselves by the limits set on their own creation? But I guess youve probably heard that one.... Confused

Yes we have heard that one and it's wrong. The original Hebrew account of Genesis 1 uses the word yôm which unambiguously means a 24 hour period. There are a great many words that can be used to describe a creative process spanning a far longer period of time and none of them are used at all. The writer of Genesis, whoever it actually was, goes out of his way to use, and use exclusively, words that apply only to 24 hour time period.

You are trying to mutilate the text to make it fit a modern understanding of the age of the earth to maintain your personal superstition.
The Hebrew word yom1 has three literal meanings - a 12-hour period of time (sunrise to sunset), a 24-hour period of time from sunset to sunset (the Hebrew day), and an indefinite period of time............Rolleyes *cough and clears throat* but you know whatevs Wink
13-03-2015, 03:08 PM
(13-03-2015 11:09 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(13-03-2015 12:42 AM)A New Hope Wrote:  It does but you cant see because you do not wish to see.... I mean most christians do not wish to see either so its perfectly understandable. There has been no evidence ive ever looked at that disproves anything I believe... but thats less what im here for... im more here to see evolution the way yall see it.

That seems to be a key difference. Theists start with a conclusion and believe it until it is positively disproved. Along the way they modify and stretch their conclusion to keep it despite evidence (e.g. the 6 day creation becomes 6 "god days" of some kind to allow for an older Earth, evolution within "kinds" is accepted but the development of new species is denied, etc).

The skeptic's approach is to start with the evidence and determine what explanation best fits the facts. Nothing is believed to be true until there is actual evidence supporting the conclusion. That's why it often leads to atheism; there just isn't any actual evidence for a god existing that stands up to scrutiny. The best offered so far boils down to "we don't know, therefore god" which is not a sound reasoning process.
*sigh* I mean if I was to tell you that we made contact with aliens would you expect their day to be 24 hour period? Why or why not?
Lmao psychology teaches us that that is actually the way the AVERAGE person approaches information and the search for information, REGARDLESS of belief, race, financial background, etc. (Please people I know its hard to overcome our own learned schemas, our perceptual interpretations but I need yall to do it. Really the entire time ive spent in here reminds me of talking to christians [why? because your brains all work mostly the same really only your schemas and expectations differ] you guys are just as bigoted just as close minded just as judge mental...... its disheartening to say the least that any group that considers themselves enlightened always uses that to try and make themselves feel superior to others.... remeber a stuck pig bleeds regardless of his beliefs.
13-03-2015, 03:24 PM
(13-03-2015 03:08 PM)A New Hope Wrote:  *sigh* I mean if I was to tell you that we made contact with aliens would you expect their day to be 24 hour period? Why or why not?

What does that have to do with anything? I wasn't involved in the question of how 'day' was interpreted in Genesis. Even if I had been, how long a 'day' is for aliens has no bearing on how long a day is when recorded in a book for people on Earth unless your god is just a complete wanker.

Quote: you guys are just as bigoted just as close minded just as judge mental...... its disheartening to say the least that any group that considers themselves enlightened always uses that to try and make themselves feel superior to others....

Methinks thou doest project too much.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP