[split] Debating Lion IRC

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
16-01-2013, 02:14 PM
RE: [split] Debating Lion IRC
(16-01-2013 08:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  lol@making the parameters so insanely complicated and specific that no one wants to bother with it. I owe myself $20 for calling this.

1) Because that's unnecessary.

Wut? I thought you wanted a formal debate!
If you dont need formally agreed debate rules and parameters then lets just sit here and ramble on exchanging posts about the general topic of Jesus and Bart Ehrman and The Jesus Seminar and Yeshua and the bible and stuff. You dont need the pretence of a formal debate thread to talk past each other and take forever to get nowhere.

(16-01-2013 08:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  2) A2's not going to want to waste putting that much time effort into it when you're probably just going to abandon it after your first couple of posts.

Hows about you let atothetheism decide how much effort goes into the debate. (Wait! are you his appointed minder/spokesperson? If so, please continue.)

And how about you do me the Censored courtesy of not slurring me with an accusation that I walk away from formal debates.

In fact, it's starting to look every bit as though you are making sour grapes excuses for a person who was planning to opt out of a debate. Consider

atothetheism issued a challenge. I have accepted subject to the topic wording as stated above.
The scope is framed for the BENEFIT of participants and audience so that we agree beforehand and are debating the same thing.

If you find the idea of rules and word count limits and posting deadlines and moderation of formal debates ''insanely complicated'' then I think you should butt out and let me and atothetheist debate without your Moderator ''assistance''.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2013, 02:21 PM
(16-01-2013 08:51 AM)bemore Wrote:  
(16-01-2013 08:49 AM)Dom Wrote:  Excuse me, everyone, but isn't this debate section supposed to be for two people only, the debaters?

One person calls for a debate with one other person and only those two debate?

Otherwise this is no different from any other section and there is no point in having it.

Am I not remembering this correctly, two people only in this section?

Consider
If this thread was actually in the boxing ring.... then yes.

This a thread which someone started where folk can chat about the format, topic and scope of a pending debate between me and atothetheist.
I think its great that anyone can post in this thread.
16-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Relatively, it's not complicated... but for what it is, it is complicated.

It's unnecessary.

As EvolutionKills pointed out, there is no point in limited post lengths or the total number of posts one can make on the topic. Those rules are arbitrary in regards to this medium.

There is no reason to have a post limit or a word limit. This simply handicaps anyone trying to go into detail about a subject.

This isn't a timed debate.

[Image: RHcn6pd.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
16-01-2013, 02:32 PM
I do not agree to some of the format. I will edit this format at my discretion and submit it to the boxing ring for accepting by the opponent (Lion IRC)

To be honest, some of what is in here is a bit to excessive.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
16-01-2013, 02:32 PM
No word count or time limit?
WOW!
How do you know when the debate has ended?
16-01-2013, 02:34 PM
(16-01-2013 02:32 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  No word count or time limit?
WOW!

When the rounds of replies are over.

16-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Is the a limit to the number of rounds?
16-01-2013, 02:38 PM
(16-01-2013 02:32 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  No word count or time limit?
WOW!
What are you going to do? Click a stop watch when you start typing?

You're making this way more than it needs to be. Yes, parameters need to be set, but you don't seem like you can find a happy medium. You are extreme.

"Rounds" aren't necessary.
Again, this isn't a timed, televised event.

Discussion points and the parameters of those points are the only thing that's necessary - ie: what is considered "evidence".

[Image: RHcn6pd.gif]
16-01-2013, 02:39 PM
Trust me, if you take away the word count limit and posting deadlines and theres no official finish line,
I can debate you from now until the general resurrection.
16-01-2013, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2013 02:43 PM by Atothetheist.)
(16-01-2013 02:37 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Is the a limit to the number of rounds?

I usually go with four rebuttals each, not including the two opening statements from both parties.

This is also not including the conclusion. And if you want we can have a Q and A part right before the conclusion.