[split] Debating Lion IRC

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
16-01-2013, 02:41 PM
RE: [split] Debating Lion IRC
(16-01-2013 02:34 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(16-01-2013 02:32 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  No word count or time limit?
WOW!
How do you know when the debate has ended?

When the rounds of replies are over.
Why would there need to be?

The only reason someone would want a limit is if they didn't want their opponent to attack their assertion with multiple, detrimental points.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2013, 02:42 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2013 02:52 PM by kingschosen.)
(16-01-2013 02:39 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Trust me, if you take away the word count limit and posting deadlines and theres no official finish line,
I can debate you from now until the general resurrection.
Not if parameters are defined as to what is allowed as evidence.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
16-01-2013, 02:46 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2013 02:50 PM by Lion IRC.)
(16-01-2013 02:38 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(16-01-2013 02:32 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  No word count or time limit?
WOW!
How do you know when the debate has ended?
What are you going to do? Click a stop watch when you start typing?

The posting deadline applied equally to both debaters makes it a fair contest and prevents someone from dragging the debate on and on and on on ad infinitum while their opponent and the reading audience patiently waits.
16-01-2013, 02:47 PM
KC I love the idea of a word limit. Too often this stuff turns into a wall of text. A mutually agreed post length limit sounds *awesome* Smile
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
16-01-2013, 02:47 PM
(16-01-2013 02:42 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(16-01-2013 02:39 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Trust me, if you take away the word count limit and posting deadlines and theres no official finish line,
I can debate you from now until the general resurrection.
Not if parameters are defined as to what is allowed as evidence.

SEE?
Now you are getting the idea!
Parameters for the debate ARE helpful!
16-01-2013, 02:48 PM
(16-01-2013 02:47 PM)morondog Wrote:  KC I love the idea of a word limit. Too often this stuff turns into a wall of text. A mutually agreed post length limit sounds *awesome* Smile

Thank you!
I owe you one morondog
16-01-2013, 02:53 PM
(16-01-2013 02:48 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(16-01-2013 02:47 PM)morondog Wrote:  KC I love the idea of a word limit. Too often this stuff turns into a wall of text. A mutually agreed post length limit sounds *awesome* Smile
Thank you!
I owe you one morondog
On the house Big Grin Nah, don't worry, I'll bite ya in the ass if I get half a chance (you dirty theist Big Grin) so it all evens out Wink
16-01-2013, 02:55 PM
I am going to edit the format. Also, the subject you put out is stupid as it asks me to present an argument as to why there is no evidence. Essentially, my opening statements would just be a rebuttal to all the supposed arguments for the resurrection and you would be rebutting my rebuttals.

You'll see my preferred format and then you can reject or accept my invitation to debate. You are also free to change my format to something a bit more suitable to you, but it has to be accepted by me in turn.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
16-01-2013, 02:56 PM
(16-01-2013 02:47 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(16-01-2013 02:42 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Not if parameters are defined as to what is allowed as evidence.

SEE?
Now you are getting the idea!
Parameters for the debate ARE helpful!

He never said parameters weren't helpful, he said YOUR parameters weren't.

[+] 3 users Like Atothetheist's post
16-01-2013, 03:29 PM
My Edits will be Bolded and Underlined

Topic - Is there good evidence and arguments for the Resurrection of Jesus the Christ

Affirmative - Lion IRC

Negatitive - Atothetheist (Challenger)

Scope - Yeshua means the historical Jesus Of Nazareth. The Resurrection event referred to is the one accepted as being that mentioned in the Holy bible. Both debate contestants accept( in varying degree) the historicity of the person Jesus, whereas the affirmative side is a believer in the resurrection and is going to present evidence/arguments for the event in question. The Negative (Atothetheist) is going against the motion and is going to try to rebuke the evidence/arguments the Affirmative(Lion IRC) postion is going to make. The successful debate contestant will be the one that most effectively persuades the audience for or against the proposition. (Is there any evidence or logical basis to believe that it happened.) Both sides will argue the plausibility or otherwise of this biblical claim using any sources they deem sufficiently persuasive to make their arguments valid.

Format - Introduction of no more than 800words each. 3 main (substantive) debate posts of up to 1500 words each.Videos, Images, Charts, and other such materials are allowed, but they should be used sparingly and not get in the way of the debate. Citations where provided are to be listed separately at the end of each post. There shall be a 5 question Q&A interrogatory round prior to concluding remarks. Conclusion of no more than 900 words each.It is assumed that if a poster does not post within a REASONABLE( I.E four to five days) time limit, he has been preoccupied and/or not willing to continue. Edits will be allowed, but you must notify you opponents of your edit and state the reason of the edit on the bottom of your edited post.. Failure to submit a debate post within a reasonable time frame will result in a PM from the Mod to the absent poster to see if he is either preoccupied or otherwise busy. The poster is encouraged to immediately respond to avoid forfeiting the debate. The affirmative side will make the opening post. Notwithstanding the prevailing rules of the Forum in general, Moderation of the debate shall be done by KingsChosen. Mutual good will and civil dialogue is assumed and expected from all participants.

What do you think? Acceptable?