[split] Debating Lion IRC

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
17-01-2013, 12:24 PM
RE: [split] Debating Lion IRC
(17-01-2013 11:44 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:  death is not the end.
True that. 'Cause Nick Cave said so. And my reasoning is about as valid as yours. And definitely sounds better.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2013, 12:33 PM
(17-01-2013 12:23 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(17-01-2013 12:21 PM)kineo Wrote:  Yeah, I don't understand the appeal of debating this guy. It sounds like there will be plenty of tedious word play, mockery, and at this point (for me, personally) the subjects are reaching the point of banality.
Also, it's not like he will be able to make an argument that we haven't heard and refuted a thousand times before.

The debate between William Lane Craig and Bart Ehrman pretty much settled the issue for me.
That's true, good point. In any case, I don't aim to discourage Ato from pursuing the debate. I'm just saying I don't get the desire. I get Lion's intent for strict guidelines and format- that only makes sense to me to have an organized and actual "debate" as opposed to just linking hour-long videos back and forth that neither side actually takes the time to watch. But the tedium of it is not for me.

Ato and Leion, best of luck to you both, I hope you have fun with it!
17-01-2013, 12:44 PM
(17-01-2013 12:23 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(17-01-2013 12:21 PM)kineo Wrote:  Yeah, I don't understand the appeal of debating this guy. It sounds like there will be plenty of tedious word play, mockery, and at this point (for me, personally) the subjects are reaching the point of banality.
Also, it's not like he will be able to make an argument that we haven't heard and refuted a thousand times before.

The debate between William Lane Craig and Bart Ehrman pretty much settled the issue for me.

I wouldnt even bother watching a debate where I already knew in advance what was going to be said.
Let alone watching another one just like the first.
And then another.
And another.
And...

Glad to hear WLC and Bart Ehrman finally put you out of your misery.

[Image: sisyphus.jpg]
17-01-2013, 12:46 PM
(17-01-2013 12:44 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  I wouldnt even bother watching a debate where I already knew in advance what was going to be said.
And then another.
And another.
And...
Do you care to demonstrate this extraordinary skill of yours (knowing which arguments are going to be made in a debate before watching it)?

(17-01-2013 12:44 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Glad to hear WLC and Bart Ehrman finally put you out of your misery.
What misery are you talking about? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
17-01-2013, 12:54 PM
(17-01-2013 12:46 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(17-01-2013 12:44 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  I wouldnt even bother watching a debate where I already knew in advance what was going to be said.
And then another.
And another.
And...
Do you care to demonstrate this extraordinary skill of yours (knowing which arguments are going to be made in a debate before watching it)?

You said you knew all the arguments and had heard them a thousand times before and there was nothing I could say that would be new.
If that is true, then why bother reading something 1000 +1 times?

(17-01-2013 12:46 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(17-01-2013 12:44 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Glad to hear WLC and Bart Ehrman finally put you out of your misery.
What misery are you talking about? Consider

You said 1000 times you had to hear the same thing.
Is that NOT boring?
17-01-2013, 01:01 PM
If the debate between William Lane Craig and Bart Ehrman ''pretty much settled the issue'' for you why bother watching another debate after that?
17-01-2013, 01:06 PM
(17-01-2013 12:54 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  You said you knew all the arguments and had heard them a thousand times before and there was nothing I could say that would be new.
Actually, I neither said that I know all arguments, nor that you couldn't say anything new. I expressed my doubt about your ability to make an argument that I haven't heard before.

(17-01-2013 12:54 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  You said 1000 times you had to hear the same thing.
Is it possible that you are unfamiliar with figures of speech? I was using a hyperbole to express that I have heard the arguments for and against the resurrection of Jesus many times before.

(17-01-2013 12:54 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Is that NOT boring?
No.

(17-01-2013 01:01 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  If the debate between William Lane Craig and Bart Ehrman ''pretty much settled the issue'' for you why bother watching another debate after that?
It's precisely because the issue is only "pretty much" settled that I'm going to watch other debates. I'm always open to the possibility of being shown wrong and looking at new arguments.

[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
17-01-2013, 01:11 PM
You said I wasnt able to make an argument that you haven't heard ''a thousand times'' before.
How do you know that in advance?
17-01-2013, 01:14 PM
(17-01-2013 12:23 PM)Vosur Wrote:  ...it's not like he will be able to make an argument that we haven't heard and refuted a thousand times before.
17-01-2013, 01:16 PM
(17-01-2013 01:11 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  You said I wasnt able to make an argument that you haven't heard ''a thousand times'' before.
How do you know that in advance?
Again, I did not actually say that. I predicted that this is going to be the case, hence why I used the future tense ("[...] it's not like he will be able to [...]"). I do not claim to know for certain whether or not you will be able to make an argument that I haven't heard before.