[split] Debating Lion IRC

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
17-01-2013, 01:47 PM
RE: [split] Debating Lion IRC
Am I right in saying that nobody would reasonably challenge the ABILITY of God to do such a thing?
So, unless youre arguing the Resurrection never happened because miracles are beyond Gods ability, then God at least has the theoretical opportunity (ability)
Now wouldnt next wise thing to do be to think about whether He had motive?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2013, 01:53 PM
If we are talking about history, its perfectly valid to consider the political, emotional, financial, etc. motives of the central characters.
No history books worth reading would just lay out bland facts without the context of motive.
17-01-2013, 01:54 PM
(17-01-2013 01:42 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  An examination of motive is important because is underpins the claim.
If you are skeptical of the claims that God dunnit, ask why would God do such a thing.
I am, first and foremost, skeptical of the claim that the Christian god Yahweh exists. Unless you convince me and the rest of the audience of his existence, the question is meaningless.

(17-01-2013 01:47 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Now wouldnt next wise thing to do be to think about whether He had motive?
No. After establishing that a hypothetical omnipotent god could perform a supernatural act, the next reasonable thing to do would be finding out whether or not such a being actually exists.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
17-01-2013, 01:55 PM
(17-01-2013 01:42 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  An examination of motive is important because is underpins the claim.
If you are skeptical of the claims that God dunnit, ask why would God do such a thing.

Personally, I'm not skeptical of anyone's claims; people claim many things which are simply not based in reality.
As for asking why a god would do such a thing; why bother? The credibility of fiction is not really something of concern to me. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
17-01-2013, 01:58 PM
(17-01-2013 01:55 PM)kim Wrote:  Personally, I'm not skeptical of anyone's claims; people claim many things which are simply not based in reality.
As for asking why a god would do such a thing; why bother? The credibility of fiction is not really something of concern to me. Drinking Beverage

Not concerned? OK. Have a nice day. See ya!

(Not sure why people go out of their way to drop into a thread and announce their disinterest in the topic) Consider
17-01-2013, 02:02 PM
(17-01-2013 01:58 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(17-01-2013 01:55 PM)kim Wrote:  Personally, I'm not skeptical of anyone's claims; people claim many things which are simply not based in reality.

Not concerned? OK. Have a nice day. See ya!

(Not sure why people go out of their way to drop into a thread and announce their disinterest in the topic) Consider
They are only interested in what you come up with next.

[Image: giphy.gif]
17-01-2013, 02:05 PM
I for one am almost totally indifferent, knowing my demand for specification will forever go unanswered.

As such, I simply sit here and wait to see what folly comes up next.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
17-01-2013, 02:10 PM
(17-01-2013 01:54 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
I am, first and foremost, skeptical of the claim that the Christian god Yahweh exists. Unless you convince me and the rest of the audience of his existence, the question is meaningless.

Well that goes without saying. If you thought (for some particular reason) that God didnt even exist, then the Resurrection debate would be a COMPLETE non-starter.

Cart - Horse
Horse - Cart

You wouldnt use your skepticism about some obscure, trivial little event in bronze age Palestine to try and justify your universal no-God hypothesis.

You wouldnt need to. Because your central claim would be that God doesnt exist. And therefore NO story claiming to involve God from any time in history would matter because you dont think God even exists in the first place.

Your...God isnt real POV wouldnt go around the world looking for anecdotes about God as proof that theres no God.

It would be the other way around. You would say, no, Jesus didnt turn water into wine because only a supernatural ability could do that and there is nobody in the universe/multiverse who has supernatural abilities.
17-01-2013, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2013 02:17 PM by Bucky Ball.)
No human, (or ANY other living organism) has ever once been observed to have "risen" from the dead. Ever. Not once. It is impossibe, physically to, quantum mechanically, return the entire universe to a prior state.
There is no god. There is no evidence for one. So it has no powers.
If Jebus had risen from the dead, it would mean, that the god would have had to (due to the Pauli Exclusion Principle) changed the entire nature, position, and trajectory of the the entire universe, and EVERY particle in the universe. That is preposterous. It did not happen. They made it up. Dr. BB Scott, (professor of New Testament in Tulsa), has explained what it meant to say that in that culture, in his great book, "The Trouble with Resurrection". It simply does not mean to 21st Century humans, what it meant then. It did not then, in the context of Hebrew culture, and certainly does not mean that today. (see my prior link).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
17-01-2013, 02:12 PM
(17-01-2013 01:58 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  (Not sure why people go out of their way to drop into a thread and announce their disinterest in the topic) Consider

Possibly because some people go out of their way to drop into an atheist forum and announce a belief in fiction. I don't get it either but there it is. Glad you found the forum. What does IRC mean? Have a nice day, as well Lion.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post