[split] Debating Lion IRC

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
18-02-2013, 11:05 PM
RE: [split] Debating Lion IRC
(18-02-2013 10:56 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Skeptic wants extra-biblical, independent, personally signed, personally dated, witnessed by a Justice of the Peace, veridical, historical corroboration of Jesus,
free from opinion or bias written by;

- a multi-lingual, literate, articulate, person who has a good geographical knowledge of Asia Minor (but free from cultural bias/baggage of having lived there.)

- an atheist / non-believer,

- preferably an open-minded skeptic who never witnessed a miracle (because that would affect their impartiality.)

- with no political connections to Jerusalem or Rome (or Greece)

- who scrupulously applies the scientific method to all the data

- who doesn’t derive any income or benefit from publication of their work.

To believe that somebody died and came back to life 3 days later? This would be a good start... Drinking Beverage

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
19-02-2013, 02:22 AM
Pardon the ad hominems, but this guy just ain't interested in anything but making a noise.

The flat upstairs is vacant.

The lights are on but nobody's home.

We might as well be talking chinese for all he comprehends.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
19-02-2013, 02:45 AM
(19-02-2013 02:22 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Pardon the ad hominems, but this guy just ain't interested in anything but making a noise.

At this point, the ad hominems are all he's good for. He's had his shit shoved right back up his ass so many times I've lost count, and he's never come back with anything less flaccid than a wet noodle to support anything he has claimed. If nothing else, it's a good excuse to dip into the meme database... Drinking Beverage

19-02-2013, 09:20 AM
(17-01-2013 12:23 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(17-01-2013 12:21 PM)kineo Wrote:  Yeah, I don't understand the appeal of debating this guy. It sounds like there will be plenty of tedious word play, mockery, and at this point (for me, personally) the subjects are reaching the point of banality.
Also, it's not like he will be able to make an argument that we haven't heard and refuted a thousand times before.

My prophecy has come true. Bowing

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
19-02-2013, 09:37 AM
I read this one book were there was this boy who survived. It seemed to be a diary of sorts. I could get behind following him. I mean, they seem legit.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
19-02-2013, 08:41 PM
(19-02-2013 02:22 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Pardon the ad hominems, but this guy just ain't interested in anything but making a noise.

Whose pardon are you asking? I thought abusive ad homs @ fellow members was completely OK at this forum. Thumbsup

Some of the ones I've seen so far are actually quite funny. I have to try hard not to laugh.
19-02-2013, 09:33 PM
(19-02-2013 08:41 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Whose pardon are you asking? I thought abusive ad homs @ fellow members was completely OK at this forum. Thumbsup

Some of the ones I've seen so far are actually quite funny. I have to try hard not to laugh.

The rational members of this forum dish out ad homs while proving their point, backing their opinion with evidence, ect.

Your all about assumptions and ad homs. There's the difference.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post
19-02-2013, 10:55 PM
Understand the difference between an insult and an ad hominem:

Ad Hominem Fallacy -- Attacking a person's intellect or credibility with the intent of, by extension, harming the credibility of an argument.
Example: Ken Ham doesn't even have a real degree, he got it from a shack in Arizona. (Implication being that without a real degree his arguments have no merit.)

Insult -- Expressing a negative opinion of another person with the intent of causing emotional harm, or to amuse one's self.
Example: You're an absolute moron without the common decency to honestly admit that your beliefs have no basis. You're a disgrace, and your thin veneer of moral superiority is beginning to show its cracks. But you're still too dishonest to face your own fears, and instead troll internet forums making arguments you know to be false. The cognitive dissonance must be immense. Either man up and re-examine your own desperately held beliefs, or get off this forum and go fuck a cactus. Twat.

Clear on the difference now? Good. Twat.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 4 users Like Phaedrus's post
19-02-2013, 11:10 PM
(19-02-2013 10:55 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Understand the difference between an insult and an ad hominem:

Ad Hominem Fallacy -- Attacking a person's intellect or credibility with the intent of, by extension, harming the credibility of an argument.
Example: Ken Ham doesn't even have a real degree, he got it from a shack in Arizona. (Implication being that without a real degree his arguments have no merit.)

Insult -- Expressing a negative opinion of another person with the intent of causing emotional harm, or to amuse one's self.
Example: You're an absolute moron without the common decency to honestly admit that your beliefs have no basis. You're a disgrace, and your thin veneer of moral superiority is beginning to show its cracks. But you're still too dishonest to face your own fears, and instead troll internet forums making arguments you know to be false. The cognitive dissonance must be immense. Either man up and re-examine your own desperately held beliefs, or get off this forum and go fuck a cactus. Twat.

Clear on the difference now? Good. Twat.

[Image: shit-just-got-real.jpg]

19-02-2013, 11:19 PM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2013 11:38 PM by Lion IRC.)
Nobody said anything about Mark Fultons insults constituting ad hominem argument.

They are nothing more than abusive ad hominems.

And if that is how you guys roll, so be it. *shrug*

Oh sure, you can CLAIM . that the personal insult you hurled isnt really some lame attempt influence opinion and garner mob-mentality support in relation to a debate/disagreement you are having in the court of public opinion, but not everyone is going to believe you. No

Some people (lurkers, guests) are going to wonder why you need to resort to name-calling. (An emotional response, not an intellectual response)
...especially since you claim to have the superior rationality and intellectual maturity. Consider

(19-02-2013 02:22 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Pardon the ad hominems...

See?

From http://thesaurus.com/browse/pardon
Quote:Pardon

Part of Speech: noun

Definition: forgiveness

Synonyms: absolution, acquittal, allowance, amnesty, anchor, clemency, commute, conciliation, condonation, discharge, exculpation, excuse, exoneration, forbearance, freeing, grace, indemnification, indemnity, indulgence, justification, kindness, lifeboat, lifesaver, mercy, release, remission, reprieve, vindication

Notes: a pardon is the act of excusing a mistake or offense; an excuse is an explanation offered to justify or obtain forgiveness

Antonyms: chastisement, condemnation, damning, ostracization, penalty, punishment