[split] Debating Lion IRC

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
15-01-2013, 04:27 PM
RE: I miss theists.
(15-01-2013 04:21 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(14-01-2013 11:32 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  One extraordinary claim I think demands extraordinary evidence is the counter-apologetic that every single report of a supernatural experience thoughout human history - billions of humans, 30, 40, 50 thousand years of human experience are all delusions or deliberate lies.

So in summary (TL;DR) - the experiences supernatural of (potentially) billions of humans throughout history are not required to be only either delusions or deliberate lies- they can also be misunderstandings/misinterpretations, or assumptions. So it is not quite so unbelievable as you make it out to be. People have been misunderstanding for as long as we have been capable of thinking.

I include the atheist's alleged lack of experience of divinity as falling into the category of delusion, misunderstanding, misinterpretation, assumption, bias, wilful ignorance, broken God-antenna, etc.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2013, 04:32 PM
RE: [split] Debating Lion IRC
(15-01-2013 04:22 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Once there is an agreed topic and debate format, sure.

A topic was proposed, as well as a format; however, you apparently do not wish to debate it. Since you aren't in agreement, why don't you propose a topic and format? A2 might take you up on it.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
15-01-2013, 04:33 PM
(15-01-2013 04:26 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(15-01-2013 04:22 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  kingschosen, you are being redundant. Please stop. There's no need to mention that a debate challenge is in place in a thread about that exact topic.
Oh yeah, and MYOB. I'll accept or decline (before the the offer expires) whenever I feel like it. It is an offer made to me after all, not you.

Once there is an agreed topic and debate format, sure.
Please read the rules to understand why I wrote in purple.

It is MY business because I am a moderator and have a responsibility to moderate that forum.

If a challenge is not accepted, it will be closed.

I was making sure that you were aware of it - as per my responsibilities.

That you are a Mod makes it even worse.
Please consider deleting the ambiguously-worded and premature formal debate challenge issued to me in the boxing ring.
There's not going to be any debate until or unless the format, rules and topic are clearly agreed beforehand.
15-01-2013, 04:38 PM
(15-01-2013 04:33 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(15-01-2013 04:26 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Please read the rules to understand why I wrote in purple.

It is MY business because I am a moderator and have a responsibility to moderate that forum.

If a challenge is not accepted, it will be closed.

I was making sure that you were aware of it - as per my responsibilities.

That you are a Mod makes it even worse.
Please consider deleting the ambiguously-worded and premature formal debate challenge issued to me in the boxing ring.
There's not going to be any debate until or unless the format, rules and topic are clearly agreed beforehand.
Why are you making up every excuse to avoid the challenge?

Again, it is my responsibility to make you abundantly aware of the challenge until it is accepted or declined. If you do not wish to debate A2 on the proposed topic, then post in the topic saying that you do not wish to do so.

This isn't complicated.

We have formalities and protocols that we abide by when it comes to heavily moderate forums such as The Boxing Ring.

Edit:
Again, decline the challenge, issue a new challenge on a topic of your choice and define the parameters. I can't see why this is an issue.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
15-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Has the debating fucking started or are they still in pre-play?

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
15-01-2013, 04:48 PM
(15-01-2013 04:01 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(15-01-2013 10:05 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yes.

I'm saying that, as presented by you, your deductive reasoning and logic skills are on par with the mentally handicapped.

This is not an ad hominem. This is apparent fact by your inability to understand simplicity.

Wow! Seems like you're trying to take the terse and deadly hat from Chas.
No, he just stole borrowed it for this post. Drinking Beverage

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
15-01-2013, 04:51 PM
(15-01-2013 04:27 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(15-01-2013 04:21 PM)kineo Wrote:  So in summary (TL;DR) - the experiences supernatural of (potentially) billions of humans throughout history are not required to be only either delusions or deliberate lies- they can also be misunderstandings/misinterpretations, or assumptions. So it is not quite so unbelievable as you make it out to be. People have been misunderstanding for as long as we have been capable of thinking.

I include the atheist's alleged lack of experience of divinity as falling into the category of delusion, misunderstanding, misinterpretation, assumption, bias, wilful ignorance, broken God-antenna, etc.

That's wonderful for you, and I don't aim to convince you otherwise. Do know, however, that many of us atheists come from a background of religion- some preachers, teachers, students, and various other ministerial positions. I was very much a Christian- I believed deeply, loved this concept of God that I had, feared this concept of God, and dedicated my life to it. And then eventually found it to be not so convincing anymore in light of my knowledge of evolution (which was the spring-board for my apostasy, but not a matter of discussion for this wickedly derailed thread). But during that time I experienced a great deal that I attributed to God, and now attribute to emotions, emotional manipulation, and a biased view of the world. No, there was no broken "God-antenna"- I was born with the same general biology as everyone else, without a God-antenna (yes, I realize that such a thing wouldn't be biological, it would theoretically and conveniently be spiritual and not measurable- which makes for a sound base for an argument... like God and the invisible pink unicorn, it can't possibly be disproved!). And I tried quite hard to find the answers that would allow me to continue my belief, but ultimately I found the "answers" lacking. I am not willfully ignorant. Actually, whilst remaining a Christian, I was willfully ignorant. That is not to convince you, but just to say that I think you're wrong.

I think that your argument is lacking in any real substance.
[+] 6 users Like kineo's post
15-01-2013, 04:57 PM
(15-01-2013 04:51 PM)kineo Wrote:  I think that your argument is lacking in any real substance.

^That^. As well, I think that this thread is lacking in any real substance. Dodgy

Good to see you back here, Kineo. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
15-01-2013, 05:05 PM
(15-01-2013 04:57 PM)kim Wrote:  
(15-01-2013 04:51 PM)kineo Wrote:  I think that your argument is lacking in any real substance.

^That^. As well, I think that this thread is lacking in any real substance. Dodgy

Good to see you back here, Kineo. Wink
Hi Kim! Thanks, good to be back! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
15-01-2013, 05:08 PM
(15-01-2013 04:38 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Why are you making up every excuse to avoid the challenge?

Again, it is my responsibility to make you abundantly aware of the challenge until it is accepted or declined. If you do not wish to debate A2 on the proposed topic, then post in the topic saying that you do not wish to do so.

This isn't complicated.
Might as well close it, sure doesn't look like he's willing to debate.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post