[split] Firearm Education Thread (lots of pics)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2014, 11:10 AM
RE: [split] Firearm Education Thread (lots of pics)
(14-11-2014 11:01 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  
(14-11-2014 10:54 AM)wazzel Wrote:  I suspect the average person will miss with whatever you put in their hand. Hopefully if a person is gearing up for home defense that take projectile type into account when purchasing ammo. I guess I expect people to think.

"I guess I expect people to think." My dear Wazzel. That gave me a very good chuckle. Big Grin
My work here is done.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like wazzel's post
14-11-2014, 11:30 AM
(14-11-2014 11:10 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
(14-11-2014 11:01 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  "I guess I expect people to think." My dear Wazzel. That gave me a very good chuckle. Big Grin
My work here is done.

Other than that you had great arguements. Thumbsup

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
14-11-2014, 12:36 PM
At close quarters in tight confines - like in a house - it really, really doesn't matter what you're armed with. Initiative wins, period. The advantage of a gun is range, which is negated by the parameters of the scenario.

Wait. Question for Americans - are bayonets legal? Because that's a pretty time-tested way to turn a long gun into a close quarters melee weapon...

... this is my signature!
14-11-2014, 12:48 PM
(14-11-2014 06:37 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  [You are really frustrating on this topic.
And so are you.
Most of the time you merely offer propoganda memes
Guns don't kill people
Guns just fire projectiles
Gun owners arent criminals

It's all vacuous repitition of what has been spoon fed to you. I'd like you to engage in thoughtful discussion rather than this tripe.

(14-11-2014 06:37 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  How would you restrict a criminals access to weapons?
I'd make use of gun control.
I'd make pistols illegal
I'd make automatics and semi automatics illegal
I'd ensure background checks.
I'd keep a gun register.
I'd make high capacity magazines illegal.
Guns would be a privilege not a right.

(14-11-2014 06:37 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Nyc doesn't allow guns within the parameters of the city.
Yes I understand it would be difficult to restrict guns into a city that belongs to a country where pretty much anyone can pick up an AR15 from their nearest convenience store.

(14-11-2014 06:37 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Criminals stormed the diamond district and stole 2 million worth of stuff and pistol whipped a guard. So what do you suggest? Tougher gun laws? Great idea! Tell me that part again where criminals obey laws?
In NZ most criminals don't carry guns, most police don't carry guns. When people do commit crimes with guns its generally a sawn off shot gun or a 0.22 , generally not a pistol or a high calibre rifle, they are much harder to come by. We do have some gun assaults and you are going to get that in a country where guns aren't completely illegal. It is in human nature to commit crimes and guns are a handy tool for that.

(14-11-2014 06:37 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  The second a person not registered to the gun picks it up, they instantly become a criminal in that they do not have lawful possession of the gun.
And in USA there are lot's and lots and lots of guns for these criminals to get their hands on. Guns is big business over there, there is a never ending supply.

(14-11-2014 06:37 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Therefore, claiming that lawful gun owners become criminals is an illogical impossibility.
Picture this if you will.
A legal gun owner, gets angry with his girlfriend. He hits, punches or shoots her. He is now a criminal. This isn't an impossible scenario is it?

Another scenario,
A legal gun owner gets excited about the "make my day" policy and gets grumpy about a local thief. He opens his garage, puts a purse on a table, grabs his gun and waits in the bushes. Thief comes, thief gets murdered, next minute Mr legal gun owner is a criminal.

(14-11-2014 06:37 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Since the second they commit a crime, they are no longer a lawful gun owner. If my husband got convicted of assault - then bam - he instantly becomes an unlawful gun owner and would have to relinquish the guns.
LOL, if only all people who are criminals would just simply relinquish their guns. Voluntarily.

(14-11-2014 06:37 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Very few crimes are commited with legally obtained guns because the second a lawful owner gives access to their gun to an unregistered person - that is unlawful!
The point is not whether the owner is lawful or not, the point is that they have got their hands on a gun. If you make access easy then the crims will have an easy time getting whatever weapon they want.

(14-11-2014 06:37 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  A gun is effective. No one is denying that.
Then why the bullshit about boxcutters?

(14-11-2014 06:37 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Further - a gun facilitates far more "weak" people to protect themselves than it facilitates a "weak" person to commit a crime.
Where is your logic here?
a 5 year old could rob you at gun point. But without a gun they would struggle to get you to give up your money.

(14-11-2014 06:37 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  There is no illusion that men have a disparity of force against a woman. Why would you deny a woman access to the most effective means to protect herself?
Because women are generally the victims of gun crimes.
Wives and girlfriends are much more likely to be murdered if their is a gun in the house.

(14-11-2014 06:37 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  People are far more dangerous with a drugs and alcohol or religious fanaticism than they are a gun.
I can survive if my neighber is high or if my neighbor is praying or both. I may not survive in my neighbor is shooting at me.
14-11-2014, 12:51 PM
(14-11-2014 12:36 PM)cjlr Wrote:  At close quarters in tight confines - like in a house - it really, really doesn't matter what you're armed with. Initiative wins, period. The advantage of a gun is range, which is negated by the parameters of the scenario.

Distances inside a home can easily be 12 ft. or more - that's not grappling distance, that's gun distance.

Relying on edged weapons is simply not viable for most people.

Quote:Wait. Question for Americans - are bayonets legal? Because that's a pretty time-tested way to turn a long gun into a close quarters melee weapon...

Yes.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-11-2014, 12:57 PM
(14-11-2014 12:36 PM)cjlr Wrote:  At close quarters in tight confines - like in a house - it really, really doesn't matter what you're armed with. Initiative wins, period. The advantage of a gun is range, which is negated by the parameters of the scenario.

Wait. Question for Americans - are bayonets legal? Because that's a pretty time-tested way to turn a long gun into a close quarters melee weapon...

Oooo an bayonet charge! Big Grin

At least where Chas and I live, whether you use a gun or a blade you'd better be darn sure the intruder is armed and you had better be able to prove you or someone else was in mortal danger.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
14-11-2014, 01:00 PM
(14-11-2014 09:33 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
(13-11-2014 11:35 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Do you think most incidents of domestic violence end in murder?

Surely most of the time it is a slap, a punch, a choke, a push or something.
Most do not end in murder, even when a gun is in the house. I do not see where outlawing guns would stop most domestic violence occurrences.
It wouldn't stop domestic violence occurrences. But it would reduce the amount of domestic violence gun deaths. and probably would reduce the amount of domestic violence deaths.
14-11-2014, 01:01 PM
(14-11-2014 11:30 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  
(14-11-2014 11:10 AM)wazzel Wrote:  My work here is done.

Other than that you had great arguements. Thumbsup
Ha, you missed the arms up in celebration dance.

There is a reasonable middle ground that can continue to allow gun ownership while fixing (or at least try to)the problems. Unfortunately the players are on the ends of the debate and any give towards the reasonable middle will cost them votes next election cycle.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
14-11-2014, 01:03 PM
(14-11-2014 12:57 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  

Oooo an bayonet charge! Big Grin

At least where Chas and I live, whether you use a gun or a blade you'd better be darn sure the intruder is armed and you had better be able to prove you or someone else was in mortal danger.

Actually, the law was changed not too many years ago; the 'duty to retreat' was rescinded.

However - you may well be prosecuted if there isn't clear evidence of threat of bodily harm.

In Massachusetts, you don't want to shoot the drunk girl on the doorstep. No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-11-2014, 01:03 PM
(14-11-2014 01:01 PM)wazzel Wrote:  
(14-11-2014 11:30 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Other than that you had great arguements. Thumbsup
Ha, you missed the arms up in celebration dance.

There is a reasonable middle ground that can continue to allow gun ownership while fixing (or at least try to)the problems. Unfortunately the players are on the ends of the debate and any give towards the reasonable middle will cost them votes next election cycle.

Then you and I are of the same mindset!

David Hume