[split] Firearm Education Thread (lots of pics)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2014, 11:53 AM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2014 11:57 AM by Chas.)
RE: [split] Firearm Education Thread (lots of pics)
(12-11-2014 08:39 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(11-11-2014 06:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  Don't think "Oh, that can't happen here!" Wrong, it already has on smaller scales.

"A happened, therefore B>A can happen!"

That's disappointingly equivocal.

We have unequivocal evidence of social breakdown from disruptions.
It is logical to conclude that a larger or more widespread disruption would likely lead to greater and/or longer lasting breakdown.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-11-2014, 12:49 PM
(12-11-2014 11:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-11-2014 08:39 AM)cjlr Wrote:  "A happened, therefore B>A can happen!"

That's disappointingly equivocal.

We have unequivocal evidence of social breakdown from disruptions.
It is logical to conclude that a larger or more widespread disruption would likely lead to greater and/or longer lasting breakdown.

Okay; I don't think I was clear enough.

I'm not denying that disruptions can and do occur, and I'm not denying that more severe incidents than have happened in the recent past could and might occur in the future.

But what I would consider is both the likelihood of such serious occurances, and the worth of investing in preparation for such eventualities, and as I see it there is only a very narrow range of circumstances in which "doomsday prepping" would be applicable - social or environmental collapse worse than "disruption and inconvenience" and passing into the nebulous "roving gangs in an anarchic wasteland" is liable to shoot right for "unlivable".

So just saying "it's possible" is not saying much of anything.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
12-11-2014, 04:20 PM
(12-11-2014 08:02 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I have stood in a voting booth and tried to decide if I want to vote for the person who wants to take away my constitutional rights to a weapon or my individual rights to my body and my right to choose.
The flip side of both of these is:
Do you want to vote for the person who wants to take away the constitutional rights to a weapon from those who would seek to attack you and others in society?

Do you want to vote for the person who wants to take away the individual rights of all women to their own body or their "rights" to kill their own fetus.

I'm all for freedom, but I am very nervous about gangsters, juvenile delinquents, people with anger management issues, people with vigilante dreams, or hero dreams having access to guns, especially easily concealed pistols or rapid fire, high capacity ammunition reserves (magazines).
12-11-2014, 04:51 PM
(12-11-2014 12:49 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(12-11-2014 11:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  We have unequivocal evidence of social breakdown from disruptions.

Okay; I don't think I was clear enough.

I'm not denying that disruptions can and do occur, and I'm not denying that more severe incidents than have happened in the recent past could and might occur in the future.

But what I would consider is both the likelihood of such serious occurances, and the worth of investing in preparation for such eventualities, and as I see it there is only a very narrow range of circumstances in which "doomsday prepping" would be applicable - social or environmental collapse worse than "disruption and inconvenience" and passing into the nebulous "roving gangs in an anarchic wasteland" is liable to shoot right for "unlivable".

So just saying "it's possible" is not saying much of anything.

Then I will state that it is likely. There is a real possibility of a tsunami along the east coast of the Americas, there is a real possibility of the Yellowstone super-volcano erupting, there is a real possibility of cyber attack on North American power infrastructure, the grid is also at risk of physical attack, and so on.

Are any of these likely tomorrow? No, but they are all very possible - it's just a matter of time.

Having some food stored, an alternate power source, and the means to defend oneself are inexpensive insurance.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-11-2014, 04:53 PM
(12-11-2014 04:20 PM)Stevil Wrote:  ...especially easily concealed pistols or rapid fire, high capacity ammunition reserves (magazines).

Those are not mutually exclusive, you know. Consider

12-11-2014, 04:56 PM
(12-11-2014 04:53 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-11-2014 04:20 PM)Stevil Wrote:  ...especially easily concealed pistols or rapid fire, high capacity ammunition reserves (magazines).

Is it really relevant or are you trying to correct an error?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
12-11-2014, 05:03 PM
(12-11-2014 04:53 PM)Chas Wrote:  

If it qualifies on both sides of the "or" then I am doubly nervous.
12-11-2014, 05:50 PM
(10-11-2014 10:28 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(10-11-2014 07:28 PM)KVron Wrote:  Here is a knife fact, knives do nothing but cause unnecessary death and suffering and should only exist in the kitchen. Drinking Beverage

Note that I have lots of facts like these. If you want me to post them all, just say so.

Which they should as they should be used for food,not to kill other people

This shit again? Guns are meant to fire a projectile. That's it.

A gun can provide food, safety (from wildlife) and from other animals that mean you harm.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
12-11-2014, 06:30 PM
(12-11-2014 05:50 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(10-11-2014 10:28 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Which they should as they should be used for food,not to kill other people

This shit again? Guns are meant to fire a projectile. That's it.

A gun can provide food, safety (from wildlife) and from other animals that mean you harm.

They can also kill people who are harmlessly driving a car, or kids learning in school.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
12-11-2014, 06:32 PM
(12-11-2014 05:03 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(12-11-2014 04:53 PM)Chas Wrote:  Those are not mutually exclusive, you know. Consider
If it qualifies on both sides of the "or" then I am doubly nervous.

Stevil - why do you continue to debate guns when you've already indicated multiple times that you have no interest in learning about firearms. You clearly still don't understand the difference between a loading mechanism and firing capacity .

So why do you keep debating with this intellectual dishonesty?

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post