[split] First time drug experience

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2014, 12:53 PM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2014 12:56 PM by Cathym112.)
RE: [split] First time drug experience
(25-02-2014 11:46 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I love this cop out. "I've lost family members to drugs" like it's some sort of nail in the generalization coffin.

My little brother is dead. He was killed by meth. So don't bother with the I've-lost-family-members-to-drugs line.

And yet, I still have the ability to see that "drugs" is nowhere close to a black and white issue. If we really want to get into an indefensible point of view, let's address drug testing. Cathy, you have said you would drug test and terminate employes who test positive. But on what grounds? Your personal experience? What about the stellar employee, who tests positive for THC. The guy who, without your drug test, would never have shown any indication of what you call being a "druggie"? That same employee, who works hard, never shows up late, and makes your business successful also happens to go home and have a joint every night with his wife. He's the one who you just fired. Bravo.

You can deny it all you like. It doesn't change the fact that you are biased, and lack adequate information. You call it "bowing out" I call it "running away".

Timber, calling it propaganda is accurate. I have people tell me I am "defending my addiction" all the time. It's an old tactic that most people these days see through. What it does is it tries to discredit me because of the very thing we are discussing. It's like referring to me as a druggie, to make it look like all I wanna do is "keep on tripping" without knowing all the consequences. I know more about marijuana than 99% of North Americans. I am licenced by Health Canada, a branch of the federal government, to grow cannabis. I am also tasked with research and development (in fact, without contributing to r&d, I would lose my licence). So if you want to discredit me, you'll have to do better than "he is defending his addiction with the faith of a theist."

on the grounds that its my company, I made it policy and my employees signed those contracts.

My company deals in a lot of heavy machinery. Can you imagine the lawsuit I would face if I knew someone was a habitual user but did nothing to prevent an accident?! Good lord! I'd be out of business in a second.

Sorry - in today's lawsuit culture, I am responsible for everything that happens on company property. He was drunk? Oh well, you should have known he was an alcoholic and prevented him from driving the Rig. Tested positive to coke? Thats cool, just give him the keys to the loader and hope he doesn't kill anyone. Are you serious right now?

I cannot take the liability risk of knowing an individual engages in an activity that alters his cognitive abilities and just have trust in him that he doesn't smoke up before work.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
25-02-2014, 12:53 PM
(25-02-2014 12:39 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 12:25 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  OH, look, she's a fucking poster child for Project ScAM! What, are you actually Christine TURDstone in drag?

i have no idea what that Project Sam is, or who that person is. I have seen what drug use does to people. There is no defense of that.

My childhood friend's brother growing up was a huge pothead. Pretty soon pot stopped doing it for him, and he switched to crack. I'm not sure the circumstances surrounding his death, but he destroyed his life completely.

Excuse me if I don't advocate for people escaping reality on a habitual basis. Not sure why you got your panties in a twist over my personal opinion on drugs. Maybe you need a joint to chill out?Laugh out load

There have been countless studies done. Pot is not or has ever been the gateway drug.

I don't care how much you smoke....its not that it stops doing it for you...

Now it's quite possible someone else introduced him to crack....but it wasn't because pot wasn't doing for it him -- that's just a lame excuse other people cop to. Crack is highly addictive, so is coke. I know people who were addicted to coke who never once smoked a single joint.

http://healthland.time.com/2010/10/29/ma...l-not-die/

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
25-02-2014, 12:54 PM
(25-02-2014 12:39 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  My childhood friend's brother growing up was a huge pothead. Pretty soon pot stopped doing it for him, and he switched to crack. I'm not sure the circumstances surrounding his death, but he destroyed his life completely.

Please tell me this is an attempt at humour? You aren't really claiming pot is a gateway drug are you? Just a heads up, that argument was destroyed in the eighties. Facepalm

And if you keep calling me a loser, I may start to take it personally. Weeping

So many cats, so few good recipes.
25-02-2014, 12:59 PM
(25-02-2014 12:02 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 05:54 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I'm only considering those I know personally. I can include all the habitual drug users whose life have been cut short too if you want. (Like with the bodies I'm asked to find)

You know, you remind me of someone who thought he wasn't a racist when he said he "couldn't stand people from Albania". I asked him why and he answered that every Albanian he had met was an awful person. I then reminded him that Albanians have been here for years and sometimes you can't tell they're not Greek. He probably had met many decent Albanians, he just thought they were Greek.

I believe it's the same here. You have probably met many potheads, you just couldn't tell they were.

(25-02-2014 11:23 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I guess when you have had family members as drug addicts, it make you cringe to hear people romanticize the experience like its something to aspire to. I'll bow out now. Angel

trip on, druggies. Trip on.

I don't think anyone of us in here "romanticizes" drug use or encourages anyone to do it.
"Trip on druggies"? How mature.

It was meant as a fucking joke. Holy shit. I meant that if you wanna do drugs, that your business. i don't care! I'm just not gonna sit here and cheer you on!

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
25-02-2014, 01:02 PM
(25-02-2014 12:54 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 12:39 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  My childhood friend's brother growing up was a huge pothead. Pretty soon pot stopped doing it for him, and he switched to crack. I'm not sure the circumstances surrounding his death, but he destroyed his life completely.

Please tell me this is an attempt at humour? You aren't really claiming pot is a gateway drug are you? Just a heads up, that argument was destroyed in the eighties. Facepalm

And if you keep calling me a loser, I may start to take it personally. Weeping

No Not at all. Pot is not a gateway drug. My friend's brother would have used any drug. That was just his personality. Its not pot that lead him down the path. His alcohol use wasn't cool either.

Look - I have anything against pot use specifically. I have the same objection to those who chase the bottom of a bottle every night. I think ALL drugs are bad.

25-02-2014, 01:07 PM
Why do folks get so narly when discussing different opinions on a topic that is obviously quite controversial. I do get why my post may make me look like a D.A.R.E. spokesperson, but I am realy not like that. I just do get a bit amazed by the way drugs are casually talked about, and at some times promoted. I know weed is somewhere in the middle of the mind altering addictive drugs and alcohol, so the arguments around its use appear to have points for both sides. I guess it depends on where you are at in your life too. I did stupid stuff as a teenager, but now with a wife and teenage kids - different story.

My son was caught in a car before school with some friends with pot and was suspended for 60 days. Luckily it did not got his college record, but still a STUPID thing to be involved with. So when I say it is stupid, do not take offense as the legallity of it is risk enough to make the choice STUPID.

If my kid, or any kid, told me they were thinking of buying and using pot (or anything worse) I would say no that would be STUPID. I would not say "sure just be careful of the law".

If my wife asked me if she can try heroin, coke, Meth, or LSD I would say no, what are you a friggin IDIOT! I would nbot say, "sure that would be interesting" WTF?

So just my opinion on an interent blog, so don't get all defensive and label me as some loon trying to control your choices. Unfortunately, I too have seen what drug use had led to, and the lives it has ruined. I also have, and would not, want to work or hang out with people who are drunk or high all of the time - just sayin.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
25-02-2014, 01:08 PM
(25-02-2014 12:53 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 11:46 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I love this cop out. "I've lost family members to drugs" like it's some sort of nail in the generalization coffin.

My little brother is dead. He was killed by meth. So don't bother with the I've-lost-family-members-to-drugs line.

And yet, I still have the ability to see that "drugs" is nowhere close to a black and white issue. If we really want to get into an indefensible point of view, let's address drug testing. Cathy, you have said you would drug test and terminate employes who test positive. But on what grounds? Your personal experience? What about the stellar employee, who tests positive for THC. The guy who, without your drug test, would never have shown any indication of what you call being a "druggie"? That same employee, who works hard, never shows up late, and makes your business successful also happens to go home and have a joint every night with his wife. He's the one who you just fired. Bravo.

You can deny it all you like. It doesn't change the fact that you are biased, and lack adequate information. You call it "bowing out" I call it "running away".

Timber, calling it propaganda is accurate. I have people tell me I am "defending my addiction" all the time. It's an old tactic that most people these days see through. What it does is it tries to discredit me because of the very thing we are discussing. It's like referring to me as a druggie, to make it look like all I wanna do is "keep on tripping" without knowing all the consequences. I know more about marijuana than 99% of North Americans. I am licenced by Health Canada, a branch of the federal government, to grow cannabis. I am also tasked with research and development (in fact, without contributing to r&d, I would lose my licence). So if you want to discredit me, you'll have to do better than "he is defending his addiction with the faith of a theist."

on the grounds that its my company, I made it policy and my employees signed those contracts.

So then yes, based on your limited personal experience.
Quote:My company deals in a lot of heavy machinery. Can you imagine the lawsuit I would face if I knew someone was a habitual user but did nothing to prevent an accident?! Good lord! I'd be out of business in a second.

Sorry - in today's lawsuit culture, I am responsible for everything that happens on company property. He was drunk? Oh well, you should have known he was an alcoholic and prevented him from driving the Rig. Tested positive to coke? Thats cool, just give him the keys to the loader and hope he doesn't kill anyone. Are you serious right now?

Come on. You are so full of shit your eyes are turning brown! You think that if a driver does coke then gets into an accident, you'll get the blame? Not true and you know it. Not to mention, the goalposts are over here....

No one is suggesting anyone be allowed to drive under the influence. But there's plenty of studies demonstrating that frequent pot smokers can have THC in their bloodstream and not be intoxicated. At all. As in, it's even legal for them to get behind the wheel and drive. So drug testing (coupled with termination) for someone like me would be completely unfair, since the test would show THC in my blood, even though am not impaired. If I can do my job properly and safely, well, to be blunt, mind your own fucking business. [/quote]

.....and no, before you try, that is NOT a bunch of stoner justification. I suppose I could do the googling for you, but it would have to be later. I can hear my bong whispering my name.....

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
25-02-2014, 01:09 PM
Let me be clear. Habitual use of any drug, which includes, but is not limited to, Alcohol, coke, crack, shrooms, pot, heroin, bathsalts, hydrocodone, morphine, meth, and every other reality escaping drug is bad for you and bad for those around you.

Alcohol is fun. I enjoy wine every so often. But as a drug to habitually use, its bad. You are deluding yourself if you think that a person's drug use only affects them...not true. It affects everyone around them.

If you lost a family member to meth, Stark, Im really sorry to hear that. Thats fine if you don't want to view habitual drug use as a problem due to your circumstance. Thats not going to make me think habitual drug use is ok.

Ps, I voted for the legalization of pot in New York. Why? Because its not a narcotic and I think it should be legal. Much like alcohol, it is up to the person if they want to use it, but don't tell me it doesn't have *any* potential for fucking up a life? Even if someone wants to do it, I still don't have to employ a pothead. Thats my right as an employer.

25-02-2014, 01:14 PM
(25-02-2014 01:08 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 12:53 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  on the grounds that its my company, I made it policy and my employees signed those contracts.

So then yes, based on your limited personal experience.
Quote:My company deals in a lot of heavy machinery. Can you imagine the lawsuit I would face if I knew someone was a habitual user but did nothing to prevent an accident?! Good lord! I'd be out of business in a second.

Come on. You are so full of shit your eyes are turning brown! You think that if a driver does coke then gets into an accident, you'll get the blame? Not true and you know it. Not to mention, the goalposts are over here....

No one is suggesting anyone be allowed to drive under the influence. But there's plenty of studies demonstrating that frequent pot smokers can have THC in their bloodstream and not be intoxicated. At all. As in, it's even legal for them to get behind the wheel and drive. So drug testing (coupled with termination) for someone like me would be completely unfair, since the test would show THC in my blood, even though am not impaired. If I can do my job properly and safely, well, to be blunt, mind your own fucking business.

.....and no, before you try, that is NOT a bunch of stoner justification. I suppose I could do the googling for you, but it would have to be later. I can hear my bong whispering my name.....
[/quote]

You don't understand that finding THC in your system makes you a risk to that business. I know the discussion has some points on both sides, bit that is just a bit ignorant to say. The employer cannot judge your mental state, they can only rely on facts and data which support certain substance usage..

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
25-02-2014, 01:16 PM
(25-02-2014 01:07 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Why do folks get so narly when discussing different opinions on a topic that is obviously quite controversial. I do get why my post may make me look like a D.A.R.E. spokesperson, but I am realy not like that. I just do get a bit amazed by the way drugs are casually talked about, and at some times promoted. I know weed is somewhere in the middle of the mind altering addictive drugs and alcohol, so the arguments around its use appear to have points for both sides. I guess it depends on where you are at in your life too. I did stupid stuff as a teenager, but now with a wife and teenage kids - different story.

My son was caught in a car before school with some friends with pot and was suspended for 60 days. Luckily it did not got his college record, but still a STUPID thing to be involved with. So when I say it is stupid, do not take offense as the legallity of it is risk enough to make the choice STUPID.

If my kid, or any kid, told me they were thinking of buying and using pot (or anything worse) I would say no that would be STUPID. I would not say "sure just be careful of the law".

If my wife asked me if she can try heroin, coke, Meth, or LSD I would say no, what are you a friggin IDIOT! I would nbot say, "sure that would be interesting" WTF?

So just my opinion on an interent blog, so don't get all defensive and label me as some loon trying to control your choices. Unfortunately, I too have seen what drug use had led to, and the lives it has ruined. I also have, and would not, want to work or hang out with people who are drunk or high all of the time - just sayin.

Thank you. I don't know why Im getting jumped on just because I disagree with habitual drug use. Or that I choose not to work with, or hang our with people who are drunk or high all the time.