[split] First time drug experience

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2014, 09:45 AM
RE: First time drug experience
(25-02-2014 09:26 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  can we get back to the OP and share our drug filled histories, please:?

Angry

I think that by now, all the fun's been sucked out of this thread. Confused

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2014, 11:09 AM
RE: [split] First time drug experience
It appears to me the hot buttons here are the defense of habitual drug use, and the stereotyping of drug users. I first thought of the theist vs athiest analogies we see all of the time. We here see theism as holding people down/back, while theist defend their stance because it keeps them from dealing with reality - the same goes for drug use and users. Drug users use as to not deal with reality, and will defend that stance with as much enthusiasm as theists defend delusion by faith. If you do drugs regularly, that is your choice as long as nobody else's safety is at risk. But, don't defend drug use as being fine, beneficial, or without negatives effects to you well being - that is stupid IMO. No proagandha here, just because one does not want what they like to be attacked does not give them the right to label any point against what they like as "propagandha". I am surprised the athiests on this thread do not see this irony.

As for the stereotyping, we all do it and it is seen here often - "theists say this" and "why don't theists use logic".. Much of these can be supported by examples, and that is what Cathy appeared to be doing with drug users. Examples and evidence will show that more often than not, habitual drug use will not be a good thing for any person, that theists do not use logic, and that trying addictive drugs is in no way a good idea. On the other hand, athiests having no morals is not supported as common by examples and evidence.

I have known plenty of folks who did drugs, high and low risk ones, and they were good people but losers for wasting money, time, and their health on drugs. You cannot defend drugs while at the same time question why believers defend faith delusions. They are both an escape from reality.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 2 users Like Timber1025's post
25-02-2014, 11:23 AM
(25-02-2014 09:35 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 09:26 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  can we get back to the OP and share our drug filled histories, please:?

Angry

Love to. Unfortunately Cathy has fired up the propaganda machine. That thing tends to run so loudly it drowns out the sound of truth (not to mention drowning out the OP).

You're right. I apologize. I guess when you have had family members as drug addicts, it make you cringe to hear people romanticize the experience like its something to aspire to. I'll bow out now. Angel

trip on, druggies. Trip on.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
25-02-2014, 11:28 AM
actually- they gave you a split thread…..continue your rant here, and us old abusers can share in the other one.

Smile

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
25-02-2014, 11:33 AM
(25-02-2014 11:28 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  actually- they gave you a split thread…..continue your rant here, and us old abusers can share in the other one.

Smile

pssssst....bows, follow me..... Big Grin

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
25-02-2014, 11:46 AM
I love this cop out. "I've lost family members to drugs" like it's some sort of nail in the generalization coffin.

My little brother is dead. He was killed by meth. So don't bother with the I've-lost-family-members-to-drugs line.

And yet, I still have the ability to see that "drugs" is nowhere close to a black and white issue. If we really want to get into an indefensible point of view, let's address drug testing. Cathy, you have said you would drug test and terminate employes who test positive. But on what grounds? Your personal experience? What about the stellar employee, who tests positive for THC. The guy who, without your drug test, would never have shown any indication of what you call being a "druggie"? That same employee, who works hard, never shows up late, and makes your business successful also happens to go home and have a joint every night with his wife. He's the one who you just fired. Bravo.

You can deny it all you like. It doesn't change the fact that you are biased, and lack adequate information. You call it "bowing out" I call it "running away".

Timber, calling it propaganda is accurate. I have people tell me I am "defending my addiction" all the time. It's an old tactic that most people these days see through. What it does is it tries to discredit me because of the very thing we are discussing. It's like referring to me as a druggie, to make it look like all I wanna do is "keep on tripping" without knowing all the consequences. I know more about marijuana than 99% of North Americans. I am licenced by Health Canada, a branch of the federal government, to grow cannabis. I am also tasked with research and development (in fact, without contributing to r&d, I would lose my licence). So if you want to discredit me, you'll have to do better than "he is defending his addiction with the faith of a theist."

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 5 users Like Stark Raving's post
25-02-2014, 11:57 AM
(24-02-2014 07:36 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  It's just my personal experience with every pothead I know. Not necessarily "myths" about it.

(25-02-2014 11:23 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  trip on, druggies. Trip on.

Wow, just keep talking and letting everyone know just how fucking ignorant you are, OK.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
25-02-2014, 12:02 PM
(25-02-2014 05:54 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(24-02-2014 08:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  All 5 of them? That might be representative of some set but not the set of potheads. Tongue

I'm only considering those I know personally. I can include all the habitual drug users whose life have been cut short too if you want. (Like with the bodies I'm asked to find)

You know, you remind me of someone who thought he wasn't a racist when he said he "couldn't stand people from Albania". I asked him why and he answered that every Albanian he had met was an awful person. I then reminded him that Albanians have been here for years and sometimes you can't tell they're not Greek. He probably had met many decent Albanians, he just thought they were Greek.

I believe it's the same here. You have probably met many potheads, you just couldn't tell they were.

(25-02-2014 11:23 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I guess when you have had family members as drug addicts, it make you cringe to hear people romanticize the experience like its something to aspire to. I'll bow out now. Angel

trip on, druggies. Trip on.

I don't think anyone of us in here "romanticizes" drug use or encourages anyone to do it.
"Trip on druggies"? How mature.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 4 users Like undergroundp's post
25-02-2014, 12:15 PM
(25-02-2014 12:02 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I believe it's the same here. You have probably met many potheads, you just couldn't tell they were.

Well said, and so very true.

Oh, and for the record, we should get our terminology straight folks.

Weed gets you high or stoned (high is the euphoria, stoned is the relaxation)

Coke gets you high.

Mushrooms and LSD make you trip.

I just hate being told to trip on when I don't have any mushrooms in the freezer. Grrrr.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
25-02-2014, 12:16 PM
(25-02-2014 11:09 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  You cannot defend drugs while at the same time question why believers defend faith delusions. They are both an escape from reality.
What, did you just fall off the D.A.R.E turnip truck?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post