[split] "God" or "god"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2013, 01:54 PM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2013 07:32 PM by kingschosen.)
[split] "God" or "god"
I hate to be nit-picky... but "God" is his actual name and is a proper noun.

[Image: grammar_nazi.jpg]

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2013, 02:07 PM
RE: Imagination
(31-07-2013 01:54 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I hate to be nit-picky... but "God" is his actual name and is a proper noun.

No KC, God is his title (or species or descriptor etc) not his name. The Christian God goes by several names Yahweh, Jehovah, El, YHWH, Zeus, Saturn. But you are correct when used as a Title is should be capitalised.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
31-07-2013, 02:13 PM
(31-07-2013 02:07 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(31-07-2013 01:54 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I hate to be nit-picky... but "God" is his actual name and is a proper noun.

No KC, God is his title (or species or descriptor etc) not his name. The Christian God goes by several names Yahweh, Jehovah, El, YHWH, Zeus, Saturn. But you are correct when used as a Title is should be capitalised.

His title became His name when it's used as "God" (as a reference to the Christian God).

Just like you capitalize "Dad" if you are calling your dad "Dad" even though that's not his name but a title.

So, yes, it should be capitalized.

Edit: never mind

I read your post wrong. Yes, you're right. It is His title and not His actual name.

31-07-2013, 02:27 PM
(31-07-2013 02:13 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(31-07-2013 02:07 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No KC, God is his title (or species or descriptor etc) not his name. The Christian God goes by several names Yahweh, Jehovah, El, YHWH, Zeus, Saturn. But you are correct when used as a Title is should be capitalised.

His title became His name when it's used as "God" (as a reference to the Christian God).

Just like you capitalize "Dad" if you are calling your dad "Dad" even though that's not his name but a title.

I read your post wrong. Yes, you're right. It is His title and not His actual name.

Which makes you a grammar christian and not a grammar nazi. It is similar except a grammar christian hasn't actually read the rules but still tries to enforce them.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
31-07-2013, 02:30 PM
(31-07-2013 02:27 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(31-07-2013 02:13 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  His title became His name when it's used as "God" (as a reference to the Christian God).

Which makes you a grammar christian and not a grammar nazi. It is similar except a grammar christian hasn't actually read the rules but still tries to enforce them.

Oh no, I know the rules.

Per the rules, "God" should be capitalized just like any other title that stands in the place for a name.

Pronouns used within the sentence is an outdated rule that I choose to adhere to. It is neither right nor wrong. It's simply a matter of choice.

However, not capitalized "God" (in reference to the Christian God) is incorrect English. It has nothing to do with me being a Christian.

31-07-2013, 02:32 PM
(31-07-2013 02:30 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(31-07-2013 02:27 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Which makes you a grammar christian and not a grammar nazi. It is similar except a grammar christian hasn't actually read the rules but still tries to enforce them.

Oh no, I know the rules.

Per the rules, "God" should be capitalized just like any other title that stands in the place for a name.

Pronouns used within the sentence is an outdated rule that I choose to adhere to. It is neither right nor wrong. It's simply a matter of choice.

However, not capitalized "God" (in reference to the Christian God) is incorrect English. It has nothing to do with me being a Christian.

I was trying to make a joke...
[Image: 40179290.jpg]

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
31-07-2013, 02:33 PM
(31-07-2013 02:32 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(31-07-2013 02:30 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Oh no, I know the rules.

I was trying to make a joke...

My joke-o-meter is busted... bleh... sorry.

31-07-2013, 02:41 PM
(31-07-2013 02:33 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(31-07-2013 02:32 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I was trying to make a joke...

My joke-o-meter is busted... bleh... sorry.

It's ok KC, ya know we has the feels for ya. Hug But you know the rule if you go grammar Nazi you will make an error in the post and it will be called out. Thumbsup

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
31-07-2013, 03:29 PM
(31-07-2013 02:41 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(31-07-2013 02:33 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  My joke-o-meter is busted... bleh... sorry.

It's ok KC, ya know we has the feels for ya. Hug But you know the rule if you go grammar Nazi you will make an error in the post and it will be called out. Thumbsup

Pride goeth before a fall. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
31-07-2013, 03:34 PM
(31-07-2013 02:41 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(31-07-2013 02:33 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  My joke-o-meter is busted... bleh... sorry.

Hrmph.

I was still right on the grammar part, though.