[split] "God" or "god"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2013, 04:06 PM
RE: Imagination
I purposely refuse to capitalize the word god. As Humpty Dumpty said, "When I use a word it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less... The question is which is to be master — that's all.'

When I imaginate the god I don't believe in, he looks like a bronze warrior statue come to life. Or Gary Larson's (Far Side) version, like Santa Claus without the red coat.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2013, 04:09 PM
(31-07-2013 04:06 PM)Regular_Joe Wrote:  I purposely refuse to capitalize the word god. As Humpty Dumpty said, "When I use a word it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less... The question is which is to be master — that's all.'

When I imaginate the god I don't believe in, he looks like a bronze warrior statue come to life. Or Gary Larson's (Far Side) version, like Santa Claus without the red coat.

So, you don't believe in proper nouns?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
31-07-2013, 04:13 PM
I believe there is a thing defined as a proper noun. I also believe social convention dictates these nouns should be capitalized.

I do what I want with nouns, verbs, adjectives, etc... I didn't consent to these so called rules.
31-07-2013, 04:22 PM
(31-07-2013 04:13 PM)Regular_Joe Wrote:  I believe there is a thing defined as a proper noun. I also believe social convention dictates these nouns should be capitalized.

I do what I want with nouns, verbs, adjectives, etc... I didn't consent to these so called rules.

I don't think the rules of correct English is based on your consent Shocking

As stated before, capitalizing "God" is the same as capitalizing "Mom" or "Dad" when you use that to replace their name.

31-07-2013, 04:27 PM
(31-07-2013 04:22 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(31-07-2013 04:13 PM)Regular_Joe Wrote:  I believe there is a thing defined as a proper noun. I also believe social convention dictates these nouns should be capitalized.

I don't think the rules of correct English is based on your consent Shocking

As stated before, capitalizing "God" is the same as capitalizing "Mom" or "Dad" when you use that to replace their name.

You can get around that by not using it as a proper title by writing it like this god/gods.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
31-07-2013, 04:28 PM
My "Mom" and my "Dad" are not "Imaginary"... Soooooooooooo... There's that.
31-07-2013, 04:31 PM
(31-07-2013 04:28 PM)Regular_Joe Wrote:  My "Mom" and my "Dad" are not "Imaginary"... Soooooooooooo... There's that.

[Image: strawman-motivational.jpg]

How does being imaginary or not being imaginary have anything to do with being a title used as a name?

31-07-2013, 04:32 PM
I just looked at some of your recent posts. You're THAT guy! I'm done.

I love you. -god
31-07-2013, 04:39 PM
(31-07-2013 04:32 PM)Regular_Joe Wrote:  I just looked at some of your recent posts. You're THAT guy! I'm done.

I love you. -god

Which guy?

All I did was a point that it was incorrect English to not capitalize it and refuted your your position on not capitalizing it.

You obviously ran out of excuse and took your ball and went home.

It would have been very simple to say, "Yeah, I know it's not correct English, but I'm not capitalizing it."

That's a perfectly legit position to take; however, saying that it is correct English is wholly incorrect.

31-07-2013, 07:18 PM
So my thread has devolved into a grammar discussion.

Ya, that's exactly what I was going for Angry

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results