[split] "God" or "god"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2013, 02:33 AM
RE: [split] "God" or "god"
The Christian god didn't want Adam and Eve to eat from the tree of knowledge.

As you may know, God didn't want Adam and Eve to eat from the tree of knowledge.

According to Jim, God likes kitty cats.

Jim's favorite favorite god likes kitty cats.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2013, 05:18 AM
Re: [split] "God" or "god"
god remains uncapatalized by me out of sheer disrespect. If it is ever capitalized, you can rest assured it was autocorrect I didn't amend.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
01-08-2013, 05:30 AM
(01-08-2013 05:18 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  god remains uncapatalized by me out of sheer disrespect. If it is ever capitalized, you can rest assured it was autocorrect I didn't amend.

I can understand that opinion. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
01-08-2013, 06:02 AM
Futhrring TBD, the idea of the Christian god took so much from me that I lost all respect for it. No matter how many grammar nazi's there are out there hounding me on this, I will use the lower-case G.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
01-08-2013, 07:28 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2013 07:32 AM by morondog.)
I usually capitalize it myself... It's... like not closing a farm gate or not wearing pants... the feeling is just too uncomfortable. *Except* when there's some guy who I don't respect running around who insists on such capitalization. Then it's no holds barred and I break out the lower case... That'll really teach 'em a lesson Tongue Oh ja, but I capitalize it for any and all Gods... 'cos I think that tends to piss off the Nazis too, and it doesn't seem that my brain minds...
01-08-2013, 07:38 AM
I usually just change the terminology and add an article, and whenever possible make it plural, as in "the god(s)". Every theist assumes THEIR god is the "one true god", (of course). Of all the thousands of possible deities, I find that just a wee presumptuous.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
01-08-2013, 07:46 AM
(01-08-2013 06:02 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Futhrring TBD, the idea of the Christian god took so much from me that I lost all respect for it. No matter how many grammar nazi's there are out there hounding me on this, I will use the lower-case G.

Like I said, this is a perfectly legit point of view. Thumbsup

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
01-08-2013, 07:51 AM
(01-08-2013 07:28 AM)morondog Wrote:  I usually capitalize it myself... It's... like not closing a farm gate or not wearing pants... the feeling is just too uncomfortable. *Except* when there's some guy who I don't respect running around who insists on such capitalization. Then it's no holds barred and I break out the lower case... That'll really teach 'em a lesson Tongue Oh ja, but I capitalize it for any and all Gods... 'cos I think that tends to piss off the Nazis too, and it doesn't seem that my brain minds...

[Image: image_zpse10cea3b.jpg]

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
01-08-2013, 08:28 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2013 09:00 AM by cheapthrillseaker.)
I made a piece of art awhile ago... lemme find it. It's pretty congruent to this topic of conversation. Big Grin

Couldn't find it so I drew it again. This time on my computer.

[Image: GodConcept_zps6d82bff9.jpg]

Discuss. Tongue Just kidding. I don't want to derail an already derailed (and split off accordingly) subject.

...Or maybe I do. I think Rhan127 might appreciate it! Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
01-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Rather more a matter for typographical Nazis, mind. Typography and/or orthography being, strictly speaking, distinct from grammar as such...
(now how's that for a pedantic distinction?)

The concept of combining majuscule and minuscule typography in a single work did not exist in western European scripts until, essentially, the invention of the printing press. So, any distinction as relating to the word God/god is relatively recent, so far as such things go.

Well - but current usage generally differentiates between the God, as in a monotheistic God who warrants (or claims to warrant) the title, and a god as in a powerful supernatural entity. So yes, it is a matter of referring to a proper noun or not.

By analogy - Canada's current prime minister is Prime Minister Harper, at Her Majesty's pleasure.

Given the laxity of English convention it's common enough - and acceptable enough - to not bother.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post