[split] "God" or "god"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2013, 09:38 AM
RE: [split] "God" or "god"
(01-08-2013 09:35 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Given the laxity of English convention it's common enough - and acceptable enough - to not bother.

That's a slippery slope, tho. cuz ventualy well b cing typn leik this. n who wnts that amirite?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2013, 09:42 AM
(01-08-2013 09:38 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  That's a slippery slope, tho. cuz ventualy well b cing typn leik this. n who wnts that amirite?

Indeed; but if it's understandable, who can stop it?

Social pressure, which may or may not suffice. We'll see.

... this is my signature!
01-08-2013, 09:47 AM
(01-08-2013 09:42 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(01-08-2013 09:38 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  That's a slippery slope, tho. cuz ventualy well b cing typn leik this. n who wnts that amirite?

Indeed; but if it's understandable, who can stop it?

Social pressure, which may or may not suffice. We'll see.

Have you read Mark Twain's A Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling?

It's pretty entertaining.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
01-08-2013, 10:00 AM
(01-08-2013 09:47 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Have you read Mark Twain's A Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling?

It's pretty entertaining.

I have!

To take it more seriously than was no doubt intended - though, one must keep in mind the provenance, if it truly is Twain's work; spelling reform was indeed a going concern in late 19th and early 20th century America, which is where many modern American/British differences originate:

Such action would do much to obscure a great many semantic and etymological connections currently apparent; one likewise runs the risk of beign overly dialect-specific - a close orthographical match for middle-American pronunciation might well be incomprehensible to South Asians, say. One might consider by way of comparison the reform and simplification of Chinese characters by the communists there, to whom 'tradition' and 'history' were dirty words...

01-08-2013, 10:02 AM
(01-08-2013 09:38 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(01-08-2013 09:35 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Given the laxity of English convention it's common enough - and acceptable enough - to not bother.

That's a slippery slope, tho. cuz ventualy well b cing typn leik this. n who wnts that amirite?

Obviously, you need to move to France. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-08-2013, 10:08 AM
(01-08-2013 10:02 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Obviously, you need to move to France. Tongue

Any other country, rather. Greater awareness notwithstanding, the Académie française or OQLF are hardly unique. English is the sole major language without any sort of regulatory body whatsoever.

01-08-2013, 11:34 AM
I used to use "god" as a sign of disrespect, but now it's more or less I'm just too fucking lazy

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 3 users Like Question's post
01-08-2013, 02:35 PM
(01-08-2013 10:02 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

Obviously, you need to move to France. Tongue

Tru dat homie. Tongue Thumbsup