[split] Gun Control (Orlando Mass Shooting)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2016, 12:06 PM
RE: [split] Gun Control (Orlando Mass Shooting)
(14-06-2016 10:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 04:11 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  So what's the issue... Clip capacity that's more than, say, 6 rounds?

No, what is not an issue is "an automatic assault rifle or SMG". Those are not used in these crimes, so your statement was either intentionally provocative or ignorant.

Quote:The fact that we aren't all armed at all times in the club?

That someone hasn't built a brain to brain interface which can share thought processes themselves to ensure that each party involved thoroughly understands the other's point of view, and resolving conflicting opinion?

What has that to do with anything? Consider

You've still basically just said "no no no" again. My question wasn't rhetorical. If you know what's not the issue, I was hoping you have some idea of what is... I bet there's a few.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2016, 12:28 PM
(14-06-2016 11:47 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 11:01 PM)Stevil Wrote:  You're joking right?
You pull the trigger, sure there is some kickback but your face remains on the stock, your eye remains looking at the sights, your finger remains near the trigger.
As opposed to a bolt action where you have to remove your have from the trigger and work the bolt. While you are working the bolt, you are moving the gun and losing sight of your target.
But of course you know this, you're being difficult on purpose.

Aimed fire requires a sight-picture, which recoil disrupts.

You'd be surprised how fast you can recover from the recoil of a 12 gauge....

I don't shoot much skeet or clays -- rarely in fact....

But, I can still - using a pump action -- put three skeet in a launcher - and simultaneously fire the three clays -- and hit all three --- about 75 percent of the time......... THat's three shots in about 3 seconds....

And I know guys who are good at it -- that can powder them 99.99 percent of the time -- and make it look easy.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
14-06-2016, 12:38 PM
(14-06-2016 10:18 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 06:39 AM)morondog Wrote:  Why do they all seem to use automatic weapons in these mass shootings then?

They don't. They are mostly semi-automatic firearms.

Hehe. You gun guys need to cut us some slack - I had to look up the difference between automatic and semi-automatic just now. It's actually interesting to me that they use semi-automatics. Could the reason be that they are easier to obtain than automatic firearms?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
14-06-2016, 12:56 PM
(14-06-2016 12:38 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 10:18 AM)Chas Wrote:  They don't. They are mostly semi-automatic firearms.

Hehe. You gun guys need to cut us some slack - I had to look up the difference between automatic and semi-automatic just now.

Luv ya, MD, but no, not going to cut you slack. The discussions are about limiting access to firearms with this or that attribute or capability or which type is more or less dangerous or what is needed for certain activities.
If one is going to to do this, one needs to learn the facts and terminology.

Quote:It's actually interesting to me that they use semi-automatics. Could the reason be that they are easier to obtain than automatic firearms?

Probably.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-06-2016, 01:00 PM
(14-06-2016 12:06 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 10:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, what is not an issue is "an automatic assault rifle or SMG". Those are not used in these crimes, so your statement was either intentionally provocative or ignorant.

What has that to do with anything? Consider

You've still basically just said "no no no" again. My question wasn't rhetorical. If you know what's not the issue, I was hoping you have some idea of what is... I bet there's a few.

Trace it back, Cosmo. I am pointing out your error in the below post,
(13-06-2016 08:45 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  So you have a shotgun, right? You know... so you can go hunting and such when you're not using it to kill humans?

I don't mind the idea of a gun for protection. But an automatic assault rifle or SMG is a bit unnecessary

and that was all I was doing.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-06-2016, 01:37 PM
(14-06-2016 10:18 AM)Chas Wrote:  They don't. They are mostly semi-automatic firearms.

Hehe. You gun guys need to cut us some slack - I had to look up the difference between automatic and semi-automatic just now. It's actually interesting to me that they use semi-automatics. Could the reason be that they are easier to obtain than automatic firearms?

FBI watch list got you down?
Can't get that full auto you wanted?
Next best thing?..

Imagine how many homosexual deer you could bag with that
14-06-2016, 01:41 PM
(14-06-2016 12:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 12:38 PM)morondog Wrote:  Hehe. You gun guys need to cut us some slack - I had to look up the difference between automatic and semi-automatic just now.

Luv ya, MD, but no, not going to cut you slack. The discussions are about limiting access to firearms with this or that attribute or capability or which type is more or less dangerous or what is needed for certain activities.
If one is going to to do this, one needs to learn the facts and terminology.
Fair point.

Quote:
Quote:It's actually interesting to me that they use semi-automatics. Could the reason be that they are easier to obtain than automatic firearms?

Probably.

If that is the case then... if we restrict access to semi-automatic firearms in the same way as restricting access to automatic firearms... does it not logically follow that less of the same will be used in these crimes?

Admittedly actually implementing such restrictions may prove to be a logistical nightmare... and I guess restrictions may already be in place. And I don't usually participate in these threads for precisely this reason - I don't really know shit about your guys situation. But... Big Grin For shits and giggles...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
14-06-2016, 01:48 PM
(14-06-2016 11:47 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 11:01 PM)Stevil Wrote:  You're joking right?
You pull the trigger, sure there is some kickback but your face remains on the stock, your eye remains looking at the sights, your finger remains near the trigger.
As opposed to a bolt action where you have to remove your have from the trigger and work the bolt. While you are working the bolt, you are moving the gun and losing sight of your target.
But of course you know this, you're being difficult on purpose.

Aimed fire requires a sight-picture, which recoil disrupts.
Rather than being stupid, you could get the point that I'm making.

I know your tactic, try to discredit me because I'm not a gun enthusiast and hence am not up with all the jargon. But rather than be pedantic, try to get the point.

The point being, well, I'll let you think about it. Why is a semi-automatic more preferable to a single shot bolt action if you are going to shoot multiple people?
14-06-2016, 02:04 PM
(14-06-2016 12:28 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 11:47 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Aimed fire requires a sight-picture, which recoil disrupts.

You'd be surprised how fast you can recover from the recoil of a 12 gauge....
I have done skeet shooting with a double barrelled shotgun.
14-06-2016, 03:47 PM

Hehe. You gun guys need to cut us some slack - I had to look up the difference between automatic and semi-automatic just now.
This is the thing, one of the tactics being used here by some. They don't seem to want to have a conversation, they try very hard to shut off any attempt at conversation. It appears to me, that their approach is to show superior knowledge in firearms and hence "win" the argument becasue since they know the jargon, and various ins and outs of mechanisms that they must be much more qualified to have an opinion on whether guns control is necessary or not, and that those people who aren't gun enthusiasts, when they no "nothing about guns" should just shut up already.

Now morondog, your blunder, stating automatic rather than semi-automatic is technically incorrect BUT, anyone with at least half a brain would get the gist of your question.

A response by someone trying to have an honest conversation with you might point out the blunder, not to show your lack of knowledge, but instead to carry on the conversation in an informed mannor.
e.g.
To your initial question
"Why do they all seem to use automatic weapons in these mass shootings then?"
The obtuse response is
"They don't. They are mostly semi-automatic firearms. "
Which is merely a tactic of spouting out intellectual superiority in regards to gun knowledge.
If conversation was wanted then an appropriate response would be to rephrase your question AND then try to answer it.
e.g.
I think you meant to say "Why do many mass shooters choose to use semi-automatic weapons? (since hardly any mass shootings happen with an automatic firearm)"
This question could be three fold.
1. In the context of the conversation, why semi-automatic rifles rather than a shot gun?
2. Why semi-automatic rifles rather than a machine gun?
3. Why semi-automatic rifles rather than bolt-action, break open action etc?
Well, here are my thoughts on the three questions...

Wouldn't that be great, and give us something to discuss, rather than shutting conversation down?
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post