[split] Gun Control (Orlando Mass Shooting)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2016, 08:54 PM
RE: [split] Gun Control (Orlando Mass Shooting)
5 Things That Are Harder to Get Than an Assault Rifle in Florida

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/new...e-20160614

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2016, 10:35 PM
(14-06-2016 01:41 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 12:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  Luv ya, MD, but no, not going to cut you slack. The discussions are about limiting access to firearms with this or that attribute or capability or which type is more or less dangerous or what is needed for certain activities.
If one is going to to do this, one needs to learn the facts and terminology.
Fair point.

Quote:Probably.

If that is the case then... if we restrict access to semi-automatic firearms in the same way as restricting access to automatic firearms... does it not logically follow that less of the same will be used in these crimes?

Admittedly actually implementing such restrictions may prove to be a logistical nightmare... and I guess restrictions may already be in place. And I don't usually participate in these threads for precisely this reason - I don't really know shit about your guys situation. But... Big Grin For shits and giggles...

There are valid reasons for having a semi-automatic or any repeating firearm, so this is a major point of contention in the gun debate.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-06-2016, 10:37 PM
(14-06-2016 08:28 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  "Consider the situation: Gun crimes are on the rise, and the guns that criminals use are military-style weapons, capable of firing rounds with unprecedented speed and ferocity. Cities—where more people live than ever before—are becoming unsafe. The United States leads other industrialized countries in gun-related deaths. And scores of citizens, including the liberal president, are calling for action.”

But this isn’t 2016. It’s 1934—a year in which the United States faced unprecedented challenges from a new kind of gun and a new kind of criminal, and the country responded with new laws.

That Time Mob Violence Inspired Gun Control in America
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/...picks=true
A good thing too, imagine the current assholes with Tommy Guns.

And in 1934, it was about Tommy guns. Other repeating firearms were not the issue.

This is about people and society.

14-06-2016, 10:40 PM
(14-06-2016 08:02 PM)Dom Wrote:  I don't know much about guns. I have a hand gun and a semi automatic rifle. I have these specific ones because they were recommended to me. And, yes, I do know how to shoot them and am a pretty good shot.

The hand gun is for self defense. The rifle is for cougar or bear attacks - these don't tend to stop coming at you and you need to fire multiple shots fast.

I am the kind of person who tends to cover the "what if"s in life. So that is why I have guns. I am not a gun fanatic at all.

While I see some use in semi automatics (see above) I really don't think they are necessary, and I do think they should be banned.

The cougars and bears are very relieved to hear you say that. Drinking Beverage

14-06-2016, 10:42 PM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2016 10:53 PM by Chas.)
(14-06-2016 03:47 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 12:38 PM)morondog Wrote:  Hehe. You gun guys need to cut us some slack - I had to look up the difference between automatic and semi-automatic just now.
This is the thing, one of the tactics being used here by some. They don't seem to want to have a conversation, they try very hard to shut off any attempt at conversation. It appears to me, that their approach is to show superior knowledge in firearms and hence "win" the argument becasue since they know the jargon, and various ins and outs of mechanisms that they must be much more qualified to have an opinion on whether guns control is necessary or not, and that those people who aren't gun enthusiasts, when they no "nothing about guns" should just shut up already.

Now morondog, your blunder, stating automatic rather than semi-automatic is technically incorrect BUT, anyone with at least half a brain would get the gist of your question.

A response by someone trying to have an honest conversation with you might point out the blunder, not to show your lack of knowledge, but instead to carry on the conversation in an informed mannor.
e.g.
To your initial question
"Why do they all seem to use automatic weapons in these mass shootings then?"
The obtuse response is
"They don't. They are mostly semi-automatic firearms. "
Which is merely a tactic of spouting out intellectual superiority in regards to gun knowledge.
If conversation was wanted then an appropriate response would be to rephrase your question AND then try to answer it.
e.g.
I think you meant to say "Why do many mass shooters choose to use semi-automatic weapons? (since hardly any mass shootings happen with an automatic firearm)"
This question could be three fold.
1. In the context of the conversation, why semi-automatic rifles rather than a shot gun?
2. Why semi-automatic rifles rather than a machine gun?
3. Why semi-automatic rifles rather than bolt-action, break open action etc?
Well, here are my thoughts on the three questions...

Wouldn't that be great, and give us something to discuss, rather than shutting conversation down?

It is not a "tactic", it is education. If you want to have a useful discussion, get your facts straight.
And don't get all pissy when you are corrected.

14-06-2016, 10:46 PM
(14-06-2016 06:22 PM)Stevil Wrote:  On the other end is chas, who doesn't appear to be so gun nutty, but is incredibly difficult to have a conversation with. He comes across as arrogant and obtuse and shuts conversation down (IMO).

I don't shut it down, I correct the terminology and await a better phrased question.
I am not going to try to guess the questioners intent because I'm not so arrogant as to presume. Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-06-2016, 10:47 PM
I just checked out bear attacks in the US. Pretty rare. In Australia in the last few weeks we've had 2 fatal shark attacks and 1 fatal saltwater crocodile attack.

Just checked out of interest.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
14-06-2016, 10:52 PM
(14-06-2016 06:33 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 06:01 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Rather than talking down to me, you could be civil ... but that's apparently asking an awful lot of you. I'll read the rest of your post and answer if I can when you rephrase your question in a civil manner.

Until then, I won't be bothered. I hope your day gets better.
I'm not talking down to you. Of course I am wondering why you bring up this crap about "sight-picture".
The discussion was about the difference between a bolt action and a semi automatic with regards to taking multiple shots.
Of course there is a degree of re-aiming after each shot for both guns due to recoil movement.
But with the bolt action you can't just shoot, reaim and shoot. You need to move the bolt, that also disrupts your aim and it takes your finger off the trigger. This extra disruption is avoided with a semi-automatic.

I mean, if your goal was to shoot several targets as quickly as possible, would you go for a semi over a bolt action? Why?

It makes no sense to go off and talk about "sight-picture" that adds nothing to the discussion.
It's like worring about the a fly pooing on your ceiling when your house is on fire.
Why even bother talking about the fly and why avoid talking about the fire?
It's such a common tactic in these gun debates, incredibly frustrating for a person who actually wants to have an engaged conversation.

The mention of sight picture was in response to your misinformation about not having to correct one's aim with a semi-auto.

You have to re-acquire the target (sight picture) because the recoil has taken the sights off the target.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-06-2016, 12:02 AM
(14-06-2016 06:33 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I'm not talking down to you.

(14-06-2016 01:48 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Rather than being stupid, you could get the point that I'm making.

Wrong answer, ranch-hand.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
15-06-2016, 12:16 AM
I followed Full Circle's link above and clicked around a bit:
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/pic...s-20130228

Holy shit Shocking

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.