[split] Gun Control (Orlando Mass Shooting)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2016, 12:23 AM
RE: [split] Gun Control (Orlando Mass Shooting)
(15-06-2016 12:16 AM)morondog Wrote:  I followed Full Circle's link above and clicked around a bit:
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/pic...s-20130228

Holy shit Shocking
That zombie ammunition will come in handy when the fascists rise from their graves to hunt the living. Laugh out load

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2016, 12:51 AM
(15-06-2016 12:23 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(15-06-2016 12:16 AM)morondog Wrote:  I followed Full Circle's link above and clicked around a bit:
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/pic...s-20130228

Holy shit Shocking
That zombie ammunition will come in handy when the fascists rise from their graves to hunt the living. Laugh out load

Did you click through to the last photo though? That is seriously disturbing.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
15-06-2016, 07:04 AM
(14-06-2016 10:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 08:02 PM)Dom Wrote:  I don't know much about guns. I have a hand gun and a semi automatic rifle. I have these specific ones because they were recommended to me. And, yes, I do know how to shoot them and am a pretty good shot.

The hand gun is for self defense. The rifle is for cougar or bear attacks - these don't tend to stop coming at you and you need to fire multiple shots fast.

I am the kind of person who tends to cover the "what if"s in life. So that is why I have guns. I am not a gun fanatic at all.

While I see some use in semi automatics (see above) I really don't think they are necessary, and I do think they should be banned.

The cougars and bears are very relieved to hear you say that. Drinking Beverage

Yabbut, the scenario of running into one of them while I am carrying the rifle is minute unless I want to lug around a rifle all the time. There is only a very small chance I encounter a bear or cougar who wants to attack. I have run into bears and they want no part of me. If I went to where they live they might feel differently, but I live outside their permanent territory and so they are cautious when venturing here.

I could easily live without the rifle, but I most certainly want my handgun to defend myself in my own home. People in this country are much, much more likely to invade my space and attack than wild animals are.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-06-2016, 07:09 AM
(15-06-2016 07:04 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 10:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  The cougars and bears are very relieved to hear you say that. Drinking Beverage

Yabbut, the scenario of running into one of them while I am carrying the rifle is minute unless I want to lug around a rifle all the time. There is only a very small chance I encounter a bear or cougar who wants to attack. I have run into bears and they want no part of me. If I went to where they live they might feel differently, but I live outside their permanent territory and so they are cautious when venturing here.

I could easily live without the rifle, but I most certainly want my handgun to defend myself in my own home. People in this country are much, much more likely to invade my space and attack than wild animals are.

You could go with a hand cannon.....

I've got a Ruger Super Redhawk in .480 Ruger -- which is a cut down 45-70.. It puts out a 400 grain .475 lead bullet out at 1400 fps... Just a tad less than a 12 gauge slug...... I picked it up when I worked at a gun shop - just because the price was really, really right.....

It does a job on a whitetail deer.... I'm sure it'd make short work of a black bear, and with proper shot placement - a griz.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-06-2016, 07:12 AM
(14-06-2016 10:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  And in 1934, it was about Tommy guns. Other repeating firearms were not the issue.

This is about people and society.

Blink

And it wasn’t about people and society in 1934?

I hate to say this but...I think you just jumped the shark.

[Image: shark.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
15-06-2016, 12:50 PM
Blind post -

Omar Mateen had a Class G firearms license. One has to go through a stringent, 28 hour course, and it requires annual re-qualification. He may have also held a CCW license, which requires an extensive background check. When he purchased the pistol and rifle, there was another background check done. An AR-15 is not a fully automatic rifle. One trigger pull - one shot. It is a felony to modify the trigger action to make it fully automatic, unless you have some crazy high government clearance license. What new gun law/regulation would have stopped Omar from carrying out his rampage?
15-06-2016, 01:03 PM
(15-06-2016 12:50 PM)TheBear Wrote:  Blind post -

Omar Mateen had a Class G firearms license. One has to go through a stringent, 28 hour course, and it requires annual re-qualification. He may have also held a CCW license, which requires an extensive background check. When he purchased the pistol and rifle, there was another background check done. An AR-15 is not a fully automatic rifle. One trigger pull - one shot. It is a felony to modify the trigger action to make it fully automatic, unless you have some crazy high government clearance license. What new gun law/regulation would have stopped Omar from carrying out his rampage?

Not positive on Florida's law -- but in Michigan - if you have a CCW - no background check is needed to buy any firearm......

The concealed license meets the requirement of a background check...

But, to your point ---

It's already about as illegal as it can be - to kill people......

What are they gonna do -- make it DOUBLE illegal???

Huh

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-06-2016, 01:05 PM
(15-06-2016 12:50 PM)TheBear Wrote:  What new gun law/regulation would have stopped Omar from carrying out his rampage?

Probably nothing. And it's not like in other countries with different gun laws gun crime is absent. IMO the goal is or should be to reduce it overall, to make the stats a bit less starkly terrible, more than to stop this kind of killer - there's no law and no security in the world that could stop someone like him.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
15-06-2016, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2016 01:21 PM by TheBear.)
(15-06-2016 01:03 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Not positive on Florida's law -- but in Michigan - if you have a CCW - no background check is needed to buy any firearm......

The concealed license meets the requirement of a background check...

Here in Florida, background checks are required for all firearm purchases, even if one has a CCW.
15-06-2016, 01:39 PM
(14-06-2016 10:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  It is not a "tactic", it is education. If you want to have a useful discussion, get your facts straight.
And don't get all pissy when you are corrected.
It's like pulling teeth, try to have a conversation with you. You show no interest what-so-ever in getting the point, in flowing the conversation.

(14-06-2016 10:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't shut it down, I correct the terminology and await a better phrased question.
I am not going to try to guess the questioners intent because I'm not so arrogant as to presume. Drinking Beverage
You don't need to wait. Try engaging a few brain cells, trying, from the context working out what the person actually means.

It was obvious from morondog's statement that he meant "semi-automatic" even though he said "automatic". From the context, online biker was saying they ought to use a shotgun. Moron dog was basically asking why they don't use a shot gun.
From my discussion it was obvoius I was pointing out the difference between having a semi auto allowing you to take aim quicker than what a bolt action allows, but you get all pissy about the use of the word "aim"

Honestly, I could imagine you doing user support.
Customer: I'm having trouble with the program?
You: Don't you mean application?
Customer: Yeah, trouble using the application?
You: OK
Customer: Yeah, I move my mouse to the top of the screen and..
You: No you don't move your mouse to the top of the screen.
Customer: Ah, umm, yes that's what I'm doing.
You: No your not, you use your mouse to control the cursor.
Customer: Um, Ok, I move my cursor to the top of the screen.
You: It's not the screen though, you know that eh?
Customer: Arggh, um, I move the cursor to the top.
You: Top of what?
Customer: FFS, can I have another support person please?
You: We are support Engineers.
Customer: <hangs up>
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post