[split] Gun Control (Orlando Mass Shooting)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2016, 01:53 PM
RE: [split] Gun Control (Orlando Mass Shooting)
(16-06-2016 01:21 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(16-06-2016 12:56 PM)DLJ Wrote:  

To me, the solution is obvious.

Drinking Beverage

BINGO

"Its the mentally ill" dodge.
"Its the terrorists, while they ignore Roof and the clinic shooter" dodge.
"The laws don't work anyway, but we want them out of the wrong hands"
"More guns".

ALL FUCKING BULLSHIT dodges.

There IS reason we have way too much gun death in this country, and that reason is we are being held hostage by one party and one industry lobby. PERIOD!

I agree, our amount of gun death is not normal, and only a selfish prick would find it acceptable.

Mental health is not a "dodge". It's a serious issue that can contribute to the bigger problem.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
16-06-2016, 02:04 PM
(16-06-2016 01:11 PM)Stevil Wrote:  A semi auto that can hold a large magazine present a bigger threat than a semi auto such as a six shooter revolver.
This is why terminology is important to this conversation. If you say semi auto I think semi-automatic not revolver because revolvers are not semi auto. Neither are pump or lever action.

By definition a semi-automatic firearm is one that performs all functions necessary to fire again (assuming there is another round available to fire) except releasing the firing mechanism which is accomplished by pulling the trigger. These functions include ejecting the spent cartridge, loading a new one and cocking the hammer. In a semi-automatic weapon these processes are usually powered by capturing some of the energy from the previously fired round.

Neither a single or double action revolver perform these functions automatically. The energy required to rotate the cylinder and cock the hammer are supplied by the operator. With a single action revolver manually cocking the hammer rotates the cylinder which brings a new round into battery. With a double action revolver pulling the trigger rotates the cylinder and cocks the hammer.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
16-06-2016, 02:33 PM
(15-06-2016 11:46 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(15-06-2016 08:42 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I've yet to see you acknowledge your rudeness to me, for that matter.

I'll wait, I suppose ... over to you.
Really, you want an apology or something?

Do you not know the difference between "acknowledgment" and "apology"?

How about you read the words you quoted?

(15-06-2016 11:46 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I'm not a polite person [...]

Yeah, I figured that out already. Just don't complain when you're fed your own medicine, kid.
16-06-2016, 02:34 PM
(16-06-2016 02:04 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(16-06-2016 01:11 PM)Stevil Wrote:  A semi auto that can hold a large magazine present a bigger threat than a semi auto such as a six shooter revolver.
This is why terminology is important to this conversation. If you say semi auto I think semi-automatic not revolver because revolvers are not semi auto.
Perhaps it's time for you to get educated.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_revolver

But still, this is pulling hairs, being overly pedantic.
The important factor is that no time is needed to manually reload and that there is capacity to fire many times.
Surely in general conversation, that can be assumed to be the focus rather than whether technically the mechanism for chambering the next round is due to the explosive or due to manual force.

This level of technical detail or jargon is unnecessary in the gun control debate. Perhaps it is "interesting" in a gun enthusiast's thread. But not here.
16-06-2016, 02:46 PM
(16-06-2016 02:33 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Yeah, I figured that out already. Just don't complain when you're fed your own medicine, kid.
I'm not complaining about people's rudeness.

I'm complaining about the lack of interest some gun enthusiasts here have with regards to progressing on topic discussion.

When we delve into nitpicky complaints about use of words and terminology then we are side-tracking, halting the conversation.

For example, you pointing out stuff about, what was it, "sight-picture" or something. I mean, I had clarified my point about aim. But you go on about this, and bring more jargon into the conversation.
When I discuss computers with non technical people, I purposely try to avoid using jargon and if they misues it, I don't take it upon myself to give them an education. Instead I use my brain and common sense and make a best attempt to work out what point they are trying to make. For the sake of progressing the conversation.

Perhaps you weren't intentionally trying to disrupt the conversation, perhaps you weren't intentionally trying to teach me something. I don't know. Maybe you are used to discussing guns with enthusiasts who would appreaciate such talk, again I don't know. My back was already up, as is often the case when trying to discuss something with chas, given his anal personality. Perhaps you got caught in the middle of that.
16-06-2016, 02:50 PM
No. I want to know what you are talking abut when you say semi auto. Are you just talking about military style weapons? Are you including a Browning BAR? Not the fully automatic version favored by Clyde Barrow, but the semi-automatic hunting rifle with a (usually) 4 round magazine. Does it include my Remington 11-87 shotgun? Does it include the Colt Navy 1861 single action revolver? When you say semi auto then include revolvers it gets confusing as to exactly what you are talking about.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
16-06-2016, 02:51 PM
(16-06-2016 01:53 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(16-06-2016 01:21 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  BINGO

"Its the mentally ill" dodge.
"Its the terrorists, while they ignore Roof and the clinic shooter" dodge.
"The laws don't work anyway, but we want them out of the wrong hands"
"More guns".

ALL FUCKING BULLSHIT dodges.

There IS reason we have way too much gun death in this country, and that reason is we are being held hostage by one party and one industry lobby. PERIOD!

I agree, our amount of gun death is not normal, and only a selfish prick would find it acceptable.

Mental health is not a "dodge". It's a serious issue that can contribute to the bigger problem.

Yes it is a doge. Just like "terrorism" is a dodge. Just like "only bad guys will get them" is a dodge.

It isn't that they are wrong, but in that they don't really want to do anything about it.

The mentally ill do get them. Muslim terrorists and Christian terrorists do get them. Bad guys get them, even ones who are legal at time of buy. They always point to blaming everything else, which still does not change ease of access.

The hypocrisy is when they point to those problems then scream when anyone else actually wants to improve those things. So the reality is, YES it is about the mentally ill and the terrorists and the bad guys getting them. WE AGREE, but then they cop out to "gun regulations don't work".

So the reality is they don't want to face that we have a flooded market and they are way too easy to get. It boils down to worship of an object and pure selfishness.

That is what we mean by "dodge". It is a shell game to excuse doing nothing at all.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-06-2016, 02:51 PM
(16-06-2016 02:34 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(16-06-2016 02:04 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  This is why terminology is important to this conversation. If you say semi auto I think semi-automatic not revolver because revolvers are not semi auto.
Perhaps it's time for you to get educated.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_revolver

But still, this is pulling hairs, being overly pedantic.
The important factor is that no time is needed to manually reload and that there is capacity to fire many times.
Surely in general conversation, that can be assumed to be the focus rather than whether technically the mechanism for chambering the next round is due to the explosive or due to manual force.

This level of technical detail or jargon is unnecessary in the gun control debate. Perhaps it is "interesting" in a gun enthusiast's thread. But not here.

You are the one who needs to be educated, from your own link:

Quote:Examples of genuine semi-automatic revolvers are rare

Meaning most revolvers are not semi automatic so your point is still pretty moot.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
16-06-2016, 03:02 PM
(16-06-2016 02:51 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
Quote:Examples of genuine semi-automatic revolvers are rare

Meaning most revolvers are not semi automatic so your point is still pretty moot.
Look, I am in no way suggesting that I know more than you, however you don't know everything. There are revolvers that are semi automatic, and the point of my previous post was to highlight that not all semi-autos are the same, or present the same danger. We don't need to delve into the detail of which particular gun or whether it is rare or common. Perhaps more "interesting" in an enthusiast tread.
16-06-2016, 03:10 PM
(16-06-2016 02:34 PM)Stevil Wrote:  This level of technical detail or jargon is unnecessary in the gun control debate. Perhaps it is "interesting" in a gun enthusiast's thread. But not here.

Don't you get it? They don't want to discuss it. They're going to get hung up on minutia because that's their only way of deflecting questions. If they actually know anything about guns they certainly can comprehend questions -- they simply choose to pretend they don't understand.

It's the same way congress works or in this case doesn't. It effectively shuts down gun control talk before it can begin.

They're just wagging the dog. Drinking Beverage

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post