[split] Gun Control (Orlando Mass Shooting)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2016, 03:14 PM
RE: [split] Gun Control (Orlando Mass Shooting)
(16-06-2016 02:04 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(16-06-2016 01:11 PM)Stevil Wrote:  A semi auto that can hold a large magazine present a bigger threat than a semi auto such as a six shooter revolver.
This is why terminology is important to this conversation. If you say semi auto I think semi-automatic not revolver because revolvers are not semi auto. Neither are pump or lever action.

By definition a semi-automatic firearm is one that performs all functions necessary to fire again (assuming there is another round available to fire) except releasing the firing mechanism which is accomplished by pulling the trigger. These functions include ejecting the spent cartridge, loading a new one and cocking the hammer. In a semi-automatic weapon these processes are usually powered by capturing some of the energy from the previously fired round.

Neither a single or double action revolver perform these functions automatically. The energy required to rotate the cylinder and cock the hammer are supplied by the operator. With a single action revolver manually cocking the hammer rotates the cylinder which brings a new round into battery. With a double action revolver pulling the trigger rotates the cylinder and cocks the hammer.

There's always an exception to the rule....

A Mateba autoloading revolver....

[Image: 220px-MatebaAutoRevolver6in.jpg]

It's a .357 recoil operated revolver....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2016, 03:16 PM
(16-06-2016 03:10 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(16-06-2016 02:34 PM)Stevil Wrote:  This level of technical detail or jargon is unnecessary in the gun control debate. Perhaps it is "interesting" in a gun enthusiast's thread. But not here.

Don't you get it? They don't want to discuss it. They're going to get hung up on minutia because that's their only way of deflecting questions. If they actually know anything about guns they certainly can comprehend questions -- they simply choose to pretend they don't understand.

It's the same way congress works or in this case doesn't. It effectively shuts down gun control talk before it can begin.

They're just wagging the dog. Drinking Beverage

That's "minutiae" Tongue

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Bechased

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
16-06-2016, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2016 03:32 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(16-06-2016 03:16 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(16-06-2016 03:10 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Don't you get it? They don't want to discuss it. They're going to get hung up on minutia because that's their only way of deflecting questions. If they actually know anything about guns they certainly can comprehend questions -- they simply choose to pretend they don't understand.

It's the same way congress works or in this case doesn't. It effectively shuts down gun control talk before it can begin.

That's "minutiae" Tongue

Edited:

"Minutia" is plural for minutiae so technically I did use it properly. Tongue

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-06-2016, 03:28 PM
(16-06-2016 02:34 PM)Stevil Wrote:  This level of technical detail or jargon is unnecessary in the gun control debate. Perhaps it is "interesting" in a gun enthusiast's thread. But not here.

Don't you get it? They don't want to discuss it. They're going to get hung up on minutia because that's their only way of deflecting questions. If they actually know anything about guns they certainly can comprehend questions -- they simply choose to pretend they don't understand.

That's simply not true moms. Biker and some others may not be interested in more effective gun control legislation, but Chas, myself and some other gun owners on this forum are. I just want to be on the same damn page when we are having the discussion. Wouldn't you be upset if you found out after the fact that the assault weapons ban you supported meant the family heirloom revolver your grandfather carried in World War I had to be turned in so it could be cut up for scrap because somebody considered it a semi-automatic weapon despite not meeting the definition for semi-automatic weapon?

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
16-06-2016, 03:39 PM
(16-06-2016 02:46 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(16-06-2016 02:33 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Yeah, I figured that out already. Just don't complain when you're fed your own medicine, kid.
I'm not complaining about people's rudeness.

I didn't say you were. I was telling you that if I'm rude to you, you've pretty much lost any reason to complain about it.

(16-06-2016 02:46 PM)Stevil Wrote:  My back was already up, as is often the case when trying to discuss something with chas, given his anal personality. Perhaps you got caught in the middle of that.

Perhaps you should consider treating someone the way they treat you. Perhaps you should not get so worked up about a subject which you cannot control. Perhaps you should aim your barbs at the people who are angering you, rather than someone who has done you no wrong.
16-06-2016, 03:42 PM

I'm very interested in having a good discussion on the matter, but that doesn't mean that a false claim should be allowed to slide.
16-06-2016, 03:42 PM

No, the terminology is important to the conversation. The anti-gun side misuses terminology in an attempt to obfuscate and mislead.

Calling things "assault weapons" is rhetoric, not fact. There is no commonly accepted definition of "assault weapon".

Calling any repeating arm "semi-automatic" misleads and misinforms.

When we are talking about restricting access to certain firearms or classes of firearms then the terminology is critical.

We can talk about this without being technical, but once you bring up firearms terminology then you need to get it right or, if corrected, acknowledge that and move on.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
16-06-2016, 03:44 PM
(16-06-2016 03:28 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(16-06-2016 03:16 PM)morondog Wrote:  That's "minutiae" Tongue

Edited:

"Minutia" is plural for minutiae so technically I did use it properly. Tongue

I believe it is the other way 'round. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-06-2016, 03:48 PM
(16-06-2016 03:28 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Wouldn't you be upset if you found out after the fact that the assault weapons ban you supported meant the family heirloom revolver your grandfather carried in World War I had to be turned in so it could be cut up for scrap because somebody considered it a semi-automatic weapon despite not meeting the definition for semi-automatic weapon?
This would be a fair enough point if we were drafting up a new law and trying to get it signed off and put in place. You ought to then go over everything with a fine tooth comb, get a team of lawyers on it, get rid of all ambiguity.

But, in this thread we are common people discussing gun control issues, trying to understand the other's points and trying to make our own points.
The people that are for gun control are generally not gun enthusiasts and hence are not up with all the jargon. The enthusiasts, understandably, are reluctant to accept many suggestions for gun control. But if we only allow gun enthusiasts to speak on gun control matters then you aren't getting the full picture. Many non gun enthusiasts are interested in public safety, we are susceptible to bullets and we want to live, we don't however, necessarily have an enthusiasm for guns and gun hardware and gun jargon etc. Sure we need to cross the line somewhere, so at least we can talk on the matter. But just because we don't know everything about guns, it doesn't mean that our voices are to be silent.
[+] 3 users Like Stevil's post
16-06-2016, 03:51 PM
(16-06-2016 03:48 PM)Stevil Wrote:  But if we only allow gun enthusiasts to speak on gun control matters then you aren't getting the full picture.

Kinda falls into the same stack as, “Never ask a barber if you need haircut” ~ WB

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post