[split] Gun Control (Orlando Mass Shooting)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2016, 11:14 AM
RE: [split] Gun Control (Orlando Mass Shooting)
(14-06-2016 02:24 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 07:32 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Clutching at straws with these mate. My definition of 4+ deaths is the official definition in both the US and Australia. There's really no point in citing cases where four or less people have been killed, as we'd have a list as long as your arm.

At any rate, is that really the best you can do when comparing mass Aussie shooting figures with the US? Not even one single shooting near double figures in twenty years?
Wife + 3 kids + self = 5 mate. I am not debating that Australia is just as bad, notice I only quoted that single section of your post because I am only responding to that part, not the rest.

Sorry for rehashing a (sorta) done point...But I just learned this today.

They actually don't count people who kill family members as a mass shooting. They don't count them in US mass shooting numbers, nor do they count gang violence.

So the particular instance, you posted about is thrown out.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/27/health/u-s...index.html

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-06-2016, 11:59 AM
(17-06-2016 10:55 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I agree with Chas on that. I think you have to be mentally ill to do something like that.

Well, yeah, I tend to think that too. I just don't have the education or insight to make a flat assertion like that when professionals tell me otherwise.
17-06-2016, 12:07 PM
(17-06-2016 11:59 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 10:55 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I agree with Chas on that. I think you have to be mentally ill to do something like that.

Well, yeah, I tend to think that too. I just don't have the education or insight to make a flat assertion like that when professionals tell me otherwise.

What professionals?

I do have a degree and majored in psychology (minored in administration of justice too). Tongue

I know I'm not really impressed by that either.

Weeping

17-06-2016, 12:14 PM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2016 03:54 PM by GirlyMan.)
Can we own these? Seems like they wouldn't have much utility for mass shootings and I'm not sure what value it is for hunting other than maybe grizzlies and Taliban 'cause anything else is gonna just be pulverized.

#sigh
17-06-2016, 12:37 PM
(17-06-2016 12:07 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 11:59 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Well, yeah, I tend to think that too. I just don't have the education or insight to make a flat assertion like that when professionals tell me otherwise.

What professionals?

Mental health professionals, of course.

(17-06-2016 12:07 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I do have a degree and majored in psychology (minored in administration of justice too). Tongue

Weeping

You're more qualified than I am to say that, then.
17-06-2016, 12:56 PM
(17-06-2016 12:37 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 12:07 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  What professionals?

Mental health professionals, of course.

(17-06-2016 12:07 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I do have a degree and majored in psychology (minored in administration of justice too). Tongue

Weeping

You're more qualified than I am to say that, then.

Thank you Smile

There are lots of mental health professionals sfraid to call out deep religious belief for what it is a mental health problem.

I don't have that fear. I'll say the majorly indoctrinated has many mental health issues.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-06-2016, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2016 02:17 PM by JDog554.)
(17-06-2016 11:14 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 02:24 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Wife + 3 kids + self = 5 mate. I am not debating that Australia is just as bad, notice I only quoted that single section of your post because I am only responding to that part, not the rest.

Sorry for rehashing a (sorta) done point...But I just learned this today.

They actually don't count people who kill family members as a mass shooting. They don't count them in US mass shooting numbers, nor do they count gang violence.

Seeing how that was only defined for that particular study and other sources have said otherwise, including the FBI's definition, it's still valid. It's also a stupid disqualifier because if a man murders many family members at a family reunion, would you not call that a mass shooting?

Problem is there is no definite definition so anyone can add variables to it. The base definition used to 4+ victims. Nothing else.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
17-06-2016, 02:25 PM
(17-06-2016 12:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Can we buy these? Seems like they wouldn't have much utility for mass shootings and I'm not sure what value it is for hunting other than maybe grizzlies and Taliban 'cause anything else is gonna just disintegrate.

You can indeed buy a Barrett -- except - in California you can't buy it in .50 BMG......

I owned a Grizzly LAR 50 cal single shot a few years back -- as I got it extremely cheap.... Shot a couple hundred rounds and lost interest.....

It's a pain in the ass lugging around a 37 lbs rifle.

On the upside -- the recoil was actually quite modest.....

It was just fun to shoot - and you should see what a 750 grain 50 caliber bullet at 3200 fps does to a bowling ball......

I ended up selling it to a dealer -- and made money...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
17-06-2016, 02:26 PM
(17-06-2016 02:14 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 11:14 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Sorry for rehashing a (sorta) done point...But I just learned this today.

Seeing how that was only defined for that particular study and other sources have said otherwise, including the FBI's definition, it's still valid. It's also a stupid disqualifier because if a man murders many family members at a family reunion, would you not call that a mass shooting?

I don't consider Andrea Yates a mass murderess.

If a person does the murder-suicide thing...I have a hard time qualifying it as a mass murder, in the case of a husband, wife and children -- I consider it a murder/suicide.

17-06-2016, 02:33 PM
(17-06-2016 10:47 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(16-06-2016 06:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  That is an enlightening statistic. However, the word "diagnosed" is problematic.
Whether any of the mass killers were diagnosed or not, every last one of them was, in fact, mentally ill.

The health care system in the U.S. is seriously flawed in many ways.

No doubt the mental health system is deeply flawed.

As for every single mass killer being mentally ill, I personally leave such diagnoses up to the professionals -- I'm not qualified to make any claim like that.

Look at it from the other perspective: were any of them mentally healthy? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post