[split] Gun Control (Orlando Mass Shooting)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2016, 02:43 PM
RE: [split] Gun Control (Orlando Mass Shooting)
(17-06-2016 02:26 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 02:14 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Seeing how that was only defined for that particular study and other sources have said otherwise, including the FBI's definition, it's still valid. It's also a stupid disqualifier because if a man murders many family members at a family reunion, would you not call that a mass shooting?

I don't consider Andrea Yates a mass murderess.

If a person does the murder-suicide thing...I have a hard time qualifying it as a mass murder, in the case of a husband, wife and children -- I consider it a murder/suicide.

So if a mass shooter commits suicide why is that not a murder-suicide, why does that only apply to a family? By that definition Sandy Hook wasn't a mass shooting, it was a murder-suicide.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2016, 02:46 PM
Careful with the .50! The Browning M2 .50 cal. mg could kill at up to four miles.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-06-2016, 02:55 PM
(17-06-2016 02:43 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 02:26 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I don't consider Andrea Yates a mass murderess.

If a person does the murder-suicide thing...I have a hard time qualifying it as a mass murder, in the case of a husband, wife and children -- I consider it a murder/suicide.

So if a mass shooter commits suicide why is that not a murder-suicide, why does that only apply to a family? By that definition Sandy Hook wasn't a mass shooting, it was a murder-suicide.

No, he wasn't related to the victims -- and the victims weren't related to each other (at least the majority, I think there was a case of siblings but don't recall now). Had he only killed his mother and himself it would be a murder/suicide.

By your definition though, Andrea Yates is a mass murderess.

If a man (or woman) flips out and takes out their family, it shouldn't be counted as a mass killing, regardless if they kill themselves at the end.

Just my two cents. Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

17-06-2016, 02:59 PM
(17-06-2016 02:55 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 02:43 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  So if a mass shooter commits suicide why is that not a murder-suicide, why does that only apply to a family? By that definition Sandy Hook wasn't a mass shooting, it was a murder-suicide.

No, he wasn't related to the victims -- and the victims weren't related to each other (at least the majority, I think there was a case of siblings but don't recall now). Had he only killed his mother and himself it would be a murder/suicide.

If a man (or woman) flips out and takes out their family, it shouldn't be counted as a mass killing, regardless if they kill themselves at the end.

Just my two cents. Smile

I'm just curious why the relation makes it different when it shouldn't, there is no legit reason for it to. They are still killing a lot of people.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
17-06-2016, 02:59 PM
(17-06-2016 02:55 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 02:43 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  So if a mass shooter commits suicide why is that not a murder-suicide, why does that only apply to a family? By that definition Sandy Hook wasn't a mass shooting, it was a murder-suicide.

Just my two cents. Smile

Why not? Blink

What if one of the Duggars murdered the other twenty Duggars then committed suicide? Seems like a mass murder to me. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-06-2016, 03:07 PM
(17-06-2016 02:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 02:55 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  No, he wasn't related to the victims -- and the victims weren't related to each other (at least the majority, I think there was a case of siblings but don't recall now). Had he only killed his mother and himself it would be a murder/suicide.

Just my two cents. Smile

Why not? Blink

What if one of the Duggars murdered the other twenty Duggars then committed suicide? Seems like a mass murder to me. Consider

Only if all twenty are killed pretty much at once. If only one at a time is killed with two week intervals between each kill, you've got a serial killer.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
17-06-2016, 03:17 PM
(17-06-2016 02:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 02:55 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  No, he wasn't related to the victims -- and the victims weren't related to each other (at least the majority, I think there was a case of siblings but don't recall now). Had he only killed his mother and himself it would be a murder/suicide.

Just my two cents. Smile

Why not? Blink

No that would be because god willed it to happen. Angel

I still wouldn't want it counted. *shrug*.

I also don't think the person who kills their spouse and three kids a mass murderer(ess) either. Perhaps the qualifier is motive/intent? Consider

Now if they go out after murdering their family and kill a bunch of people....then yes it should be counted.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

17-06-2016, 03:22 PM
I dunno...

I don't think there's any reason to make huge distinctions on the types of murderers....

It's not like they give you a discount for bulk rates or anything.....

It's sort of an absolute --- either you're a murderer, or you're not.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
17-06-2016, 05:22 PM
(17-06-2016 03:22 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I don't think there's any reason to make huge distinctions on the types of murderers....
A depressed person that kills their own family and then kills themselves is only a danger to themselves and not to the general public.

A person that goes on a random killing spree, perhaps in a school or a movie theatre is a danger to public.

As a random person in public I am more worried about them, especially since I know there are no guns in my home, hence it is highly unlikely my wife or kids will shoot me.
17-06-2016, 05:25 PM
(17-06-2016 05:22 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 03:22 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I don't think there's any reason to make huge distinctions on the types of murderers....
A depressed person that kills their own family and then kills themselves is only a danger to themselves and not to the general public.

A person that goes on a random killing spree, perhaps in a school or a movie theatre is a danger to public.

As a random person in public I am more worried about them, especially since I know there are no guns in my home, hence it is highly unlikely my wife or kids will shoot me.

Either way innocent people die. It's not just about you.