[split] Gun Control (Orlando Mass Shooting)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2016, 01:22 PM
RE: [split] Gun Control (Orlando Mass Shooting)
(20-06-2016 12:52 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(20-06-2016 10:37 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  So it never happens there?

Why do you ask? Did I give you that impression? Having issues with your reading glasses today?

Surely you understand the simple English I used. I suggest you read what i write, not what you wish to see.

Just trying to herd you toward reality.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2016, 01:45 PM
Some friends of mine are grappling with a decision, their father was Dx'd with Alzheimer's. They wonder if they should take away his car keys or his guns.

I can't believe they have to think it over. Both obviously need to go.

I get it is hard to parent a parent...but fuck, really...
Facepalm

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-06-2016, 02:30 PM
(20-06-2016 01:22 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(20-06-2016 12:52 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Why do you ask? Did I give you that impression? Having issues with your reading glasses today?

Surely you understand the simple English I used. I suggest you read what i write, not what you wish to see.

Just trying to herd you toward reality.

I hope you read maps better than you read English, then.
20-06-2016, 03:01 PM
(20-06-2016 11:46 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(20-06-2016 11:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  Every time I buy a gun the FBI checks all the databases; every time I renew my license all the agencies do a check, every time I buy ammunition or reloading components I have to show a current license.

If a law enforcement agency sees me as a danger, my license can be suspended or revoked.

I ain't gotta prove shit to you.

Oh bullshit, our gun laws are so full of Swiss cheese it is fucking ridiculous. Just saw a piece this morning on gun record keeping, it is not all digital online, just like the VA hospitals are mostly old paperwork. The NRA obstructs every measure to update data tracking.

I hate assholes who always make it about them the individual. I am talking about the climate a a whole. If it worked as well as you say nobody would be bitching and we wouldn't have all the gun deaths we do.

Idiots like you think "responsible" merely means having no record at the time of legal purchase. I don't want to hear shit from you screaming you want to keep them out of the wrong hands then scream when people actually try to take measures just to do that.

Just be honest and say you don't give a fuck and simply want your guns because you love them. No you don't have to prove shit to us, but we don't have to prove shit to you either. "We the people" does not mean only do what you say all the time. That is why we vote. If you don't like it, tough shit. But sane people are fucking tired about hearing about gun deaths every day.

FUCK THE NRA!

No, fuck the prosecutors too lazy to prosecute criminals for violations of federal gun laws. The rate for even bringing charges has declined for ten years.
If these laws were enforced, criminals would go away for a minimum of 5 years for illegal possession of a firearm up to pretty much forever for multiple charges.

This would save lives.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
20-06-2016, 03:17 PM
I spent time in Idaho and have seen people carry a side arm. It's mostly rifles in the back window, but some guys who work in remote places with cattle or sheep will walk around town with a pistol strapped on. In any event, I've only ever seen two people openly carrying.
20-06-2016, 10:06 PM
(20-06-2016 09:16 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'll admit open carry laws are really dumb and anyone who doesn't feel even mildly intimated seeing someone open carry (that isn't in a uniform), is just wrong in the head.

A few years back someone from the local Air Force base decided it was a good idea to take a run through our neighborhood, full military garb, with a full pack and one of those fake guns that are weighted to feel like a real gun.

He ran down my street. Almost twice.

After causing three schools, two banks and two grocery stores to go on lock down, the police found him close to where I live. I guess it was sorta a funny conversation.

While I giggled because the gun didn't look like a real gun at all, in retrospect I can see the alarm.

The base CO issued apologies for the incident to the schools and businesses.

Although it's a good idea to test the BCP/DR (Business Continuity Plan / Disaster Recovery) procedures on a regular basis, this highlights again what I said in a recent post about war-time rules being different from peace-time rules.

Perceptions matter.

Good to see the CO taking responsibility for that perception.

(20-06-2016 10:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  ...
Your perception is not my responsibility.

Unsure

Translation: "I don't care what you feel"

Consider

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
21-06-2016, 03:51 AM
(20-06-2016 06:18 AM)Chas Wrote:  The primary problem with your ideas is that they trample individual rights with actions that have no proven effectiveness. "Sounds like a good idea" is just not enough.

I have to disagree Chas.

Recently Barack Obama reiterated points he’s made before: that the US is the "only advanced country in the world that sees these mass shootings every few months" and "this type of mass violence does not happen in other developed countries".

Australia’s voluntary 1996 gun buyback scheme—under the NFA—resulted in nearly 700,000 guns being destroyed, and is positively cited word-wide by crime analysts. On a pro rata basis, that’d be the equivalent of 40 million firearms destroyed in the US. in the decade after the NFA was introduced, the firearm homicide rate fell by 59% and the firearm suicide rate fell by 65% without any increases in other types of deaths.

Our gun buyback scheme took about 20% of our guns out of circulation and reduced the number of gun-owning households by around 50%.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
21-06-2016, 05:04 AM
The yeah-buts will follow. Rolleyes
21-06-2016, 05:17 AM
(20-06-2016 10:06 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(20-06-2016 10:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  ...
Your perception is not my responsibility.

Unsure

Translation: "I don't care what you feel"

Consider

You mistranslate. I used the precise wording I intended. Don't go all Tomasia on this.

21-06-2016, 05:23 AM
(21-06-2016 03:51 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(20-06-2016 06:18 AM)Chas Wrote:  The primary problem with your ideas is that they trample individual rights with actions that have no proven effectiveness. "Sounds like a good idea" is just not enough.

I have to disagree Chas.

Recently Barack Obama reiterated points he’s made before: that the US is the "only advanced country in the world that sees these mass shootings every few months" and "this type of mass violence does not happen in other developed countries".

Australia’s voluntary 1996 gun buyback scheme—under the NFA—resulted in nearly 700,000 guns being destroyed, and is positively cited word-wide by crime analysts. On a pro rata basis, that’d be the equivalent of 40 million firearms destroyed in the US. in the decade after the NFA was introduced, the firearm homicide rate fell by 59% and the firearm suicide rate fell by 65% without any increases in other types of deaths.

What were the rates prior to the buy back?
Did the overall homicide rate fall as much as the firearm homicide rate?
Do you think Australian society and U.S. society are equivalent in all other factors?
How does one correct for the differences?

Quote:Our gun buyback scheme took about 20% of our guns out of circulation and reduced the number of gun-owning households by around 50%.

OK. Since the buy back was voluntary, those were self-selected households. What effect would that have on the statistics?