[split] Horoscope

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2014, 08:57 PM
[split] Horoscope
(11-01-2014 07:14 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I used to give cold readings to people. I'd ask newer friends to spare some change to change their moods. I'd pretend to read off the penny or nickel and do a straight-up cold reading on them about the past year of theirs. I'd give the penny back, of course. Their faces changed from Big Grin to Shocking pretty quick!

That's not a cold reading. You know too much about the person for it to be considered a cold reading. Even if you just know the person's age, gender and sexual orientation that is sufficient to move it into the territory of a so-called warm reading because that information will necessarily alter the Barnum statements that are used in a reading.

But from reading your other posts you don't seem to understand what the Forer Effect, Barnum statements and self-serving bias--major underlying concepts of cold reading--actually are.

In one of your posts you were making up random derogatory stuff about someone and you claimed you were "cold reading" them. This couldn't have been cold reading because: (i) it was far too specific to produce the Forer Effect; and (ii) it was unflattering so it could not produce a self-serving bias. Listing random derogatory stuff about someone is just that i.e. listing random derogatory stuff about someone. That is just trying to insult someone and trying to dress it up as if it is something interesting or technical. I don't think you even know what cold reading is.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply