[split] I'm needy/psychotropic drug debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2017, 11:20 AM
[split] I'm needy/psychotropic drug debate
(10-02-2017 10:08 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-02-2017 09:36 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  ... talking about how SSRI's hadn't consistently helped her and how she felt liberated by quitting taking them.

SSRIs made me sick as a dog. After a month of hell or so trying various SSRIs witch doctor started thinking maybe it's not that I don't have enough serotonin, maybe I have too much. So he started dicking with my dopamine instead. Much better. Technology needs to come up with blood test indicators which correlate with neurotransmitter levels soon so we can do away with this trial and error business.

Yes, it would be great if it wasn't just stabbing in the dark when it comes to what treatment to give people. It's taxing on the body to go through the process of just trying everything until something sticks, and it's really hard emotionally to go through this whole, long process! It's a problem that it can take years to find the correct treatment for people whos lives are in danger!
I think mental diseases suffer from only being taken seriously as actual illnesses "recently".
Fortunately we aren't stuck in asylums these days and a lot of research is being done, so hopefully the future is brighter. Until then, we just have to give out lots of hugs and cheering on!

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like LadyDay's post
11-02-2017, 10:18 PM
RE: I'm needy
(10-02-2017 10:08 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-02-2017 09:36 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  ... talking about how SSRI's hadn't consistently helped her and how she felt liberated by quitting taking them.

SSRIs made me sick as a dog. After a month of hell or so trying various SSRIs witch doctor started thinking maybe it's not that I don't have enough serotonin, maybe I have too much. So he started dicking with my dopamine instead. Much better. Technology needs to come up with blood test indicators which correlate with neurotransmitter levels soon so we can do away with this trial and error business.

I'm not surprised to hear that "SSRIs made you sick as a dog."

The "serotonin-happiness" mantra, just like the mechanistic simplistic "chemical imbalance" idea, seem to be almost entirely an all-too convenient invention of the medical-pharma business, which allowed them to sell their highly profitable antidepressant drugs, such as SSRIs.

Yet a sizable volume of sound research studies demonstrated that increasing serotonin and tryptophan either with drugs or supplements is linked to brain dysfunction, stress hormone release, cognitive deficits, inflammation, impaired blood circulation in the brain, hypertension, cancer, and other less than "happy" effects

What we really need, for starters, is for most people to wake up and see that orthodox medicine is a criminal enterprise.
11-02-2017, 11:11 PM
(11-02-2017 11:20 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  Yes, it would be great if it wasn't just stabbing in the dark when it comes to what treatment to give people.

They're making progress. Blood Test Spots Adult Depression: Study

#sigh
12-02-2017, 04:18 PM
For what it's worth..

I had a linkable reference attached to my sentence "Yet a sizable volume of sound research studies demonstrated that increasing serotonin and tryptophan either with drugs or supplements is linked to brain dysfunction, stress hormone release, cognitive deficits, inflammation, impaired blood circulation in the brain, hypertension, cancer, and other less than "happy" effects" but it got removed.

You may do a search for the article "Tryptophan Side Effects: L-Tryptophan Is Far From Harmless" by Rolf Hefti to get to that reference.
13-02-2017, 12:59 AM
(12-02-2017 04:18 PM)PayZip Wrote:  For what it's worth..

I had a linkable reference attached to my sentence "Yet a sizable volume of sound research studies demonstrated that increasing serotonin and tryptophan either with drugs or supplements is linked to brain dysfunction, stress hormone release, cognitive deficits, inflammation, impaired blood circulation in the brain, hypertension, cancer, and other less than "happy" effects" but it got removed.

You may do a search for the article "Tryptophan Side Effects: L-Tryptophan Is Far From Harmless" by Rolf Hefti to get to that reference.

Shit.
I did read about a study that said they were ineffective, but I didn't know they found such bad side effects.
Better go read the article and talk to my psychiatrist about it next time I get the chance.
I'm a little scared now.

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
13-02-2017, 01:01 AM
(13-02-2017 12:59 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  
(12-02-2017 04:18 PM)PayZip Wrote:  For what it's worth..

Shit.
I did read about a study that said they were ineffective, but I didn't know they found such bad side effects.
Better go read the article and talk to my psychiatrist about it next time I get the chance.
I'm a little scared now.

I do think they're already monitoring my levels of tryptophan through my regular blood tests though.

13-02-2017, 01:17 AM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2017 01:37 AM by LadyDay.)
Ah. Actually none of my meds are SSRIs. I thought one of them was. Hopefully that means my brain is safe-ish. Still going to have a talk with my doctor about implications of long term use of my meds though.

13-02-2017, 12:44 PM
(13-02-2017 01:17 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  Ah. Actually none of my meds are SSRIs. I thought one of them was. Hopefully that means my brain is safe-ish. Still going to have a talk with my doctor about implications of long term use of my meds though.

Your brain is unlikely "safe-ish."

If you read the works of people like Peter Breggin, MD, or Peter Gotzsche, MD, you will recognize that massive harm from psychotropic drugs aren't just coming from SSRIs but other types of drugs.

"Talking to your doctor" is likely going to lead a person down a misguided road because doctors are mostly the willing well paid dispensers of these toxic drugs. Doctors are part of the criminal pharma-medical system (read Gotzsche's "Deadly Medicines and Organised Crime: How Big Pharma Has Corrupted Healthcare").
13-02-2017, 01:28 PM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2017 01:41 PM by LadyDay.)
(13-02-2017 12:44 PM)PayZip Wrote:  
(13-02-2017 01:17 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  Ah. Actually none of my meds are SSRIs. I thought one of them was. Hopefully that means my brain is safe-ish. Still going to have a talk with my doctor about implications of long term use of my meds though.

Your brain is unlikely "safe-ish."

If you read the works of people like Peter Breggin, MD, or Peter Gotzsche, MD, you will recognize that massive harm from psychotropic drugs aren't just coming from SSRIs but other types of drugs.

"Talking to your doctor" is likely going to lead a person down a misguided road because doctors are mostly the willing well paid dispensers of these toxic drugs. Doctors are part of the criminal pharma-medical system (read Gotzsche's "Deadly Medicines and Organised Crime: How Big Pharma Has Corrupted Healthcare").

Way to make me scared of the drugs that are literally keeping me alive. Thanks.

I think you're forgetting that sometimes the benefits outweigh the side effects. For example, people are killed by chemo all the time. Doesn't mean it would be better if they didn't take it. Depression is just as much a disease in need of treatment as cancer is. It's not something that we can snap out of or get over by praying. So what do you want me to do? Stop taking my meds because they have side effects?

When it comes to the pharmaceutical industry effecting doctors decisions to medicate, you're forgetting that I don't live in the United States of No Welfare System. Our medical system is not privatized, it is state owned. This means that the income of our doctors is in no way affected by what or how much medicine they prescribe. The fact that the state pays for the medicine also means that if anything, the interest is that I take as little medicine as possible.
There's a big world outside the US my friend.

[+] 1 user Likes LadyDay's post
13-02-2017, 01:36 PM
(13-02-2017 01:28 PM)LadyDay Wrote:  
(13-02-2017 12:44 PM)PayZip Wrote:  Your brain is unlikely "safe-ish."

If you read the works of people like Peter Breggin, MD, or Peter Gotzsche, MD, you will recognize that massive harm from psychotropic drugs ...

Way to make me scared of the drugs that are literally keeping me alive. Thanks.

I ain't afraid of no ghosts. I been psychotropicalparadising for some 40 years now and look at me. .... Consider ... wait, bad example.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post