[split] I need to rant to other atheists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2014, 10:23 AM
RE: [split] I need to rant to other atheists.
(09-06-2014 02:36 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 12:24 PM)Elskidor Wrote:  The best reason would be because he's a fictional character, and poorly written one at that.

Even if this is true, why not pattern one's life after His?

Why not live a life of utter self-denial and self sacrifice so that those around you who you encounter on a day to day basis may be edified and built up and encouraged?

Why not give to those who are in need without expecting anything in return? Why not love your enemies and bless those who curse you?

Why not seek to always do that which is right for the sake of righteousness?

Why not love your neighbor as yourself and always be mindful of other people and esteem others more highly than yourself?

Even if it was proven that Christ was a myth, why not live the way it is claimed He said we should?

One could do almost the same thing as a Buddhist. No need for Jesus and many Buddhists don't believe in god.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2014, 10:25 AM
(10-06-2014 09:30 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  [I do not believe in being an ascetic for the sake of being an ascetic. There are ascetics that are ascetics for selfish reasons which would be self defeating. If God called me to give up the life and family and things He has given me, I would seek to do that by His help. But God has not called me to be an ascetic. Rather, He has called me to glorify Him right where I am and use the things He has given me in a manner that bring glory to Him and edify those around me.

Is this why you don't masturbate Jeremy?
10-06-2014, 10:28 AM
I don't need no religion to tell me how to live Drinking Beverage

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
10-06-2014, 10:43 AM
(10-06-2014 09:39 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 09:34 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Jeremy. Do you masturbate?

no

Your posting history begs to differ.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
10-06-2014, 10:45 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2014 10:50 AM by kim.)
(10-06-2014 09:52 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I think it shallow to live a self centered life. Paradoxically, I found true happiness in living for others instead of myself.

What do you mean by "shallow"? Do you mean not deep? Like, not deeply intellectual or not deeply compassionate? I would venture to say that there are quite a few people here who are deeply intellectual and deeply compassionate. I would also say that we are truly human beings when our egocentricity and our existential nature is tempered with compassion and empathy... human beings are often naturally fulfilled altruistically.

(10-06-2014 09:52 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  This life is only for those who choose to live by faith.
That would be a self centered statement. One can only live one's own life the way one chooses.
(10-06-2014 09:52 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  For Christ said he who seeks to save his life will lose it
Everyone dies.
(10-06-2014 09:52 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  ...but he who loses his life for His sake would find it.
Well, we humans all have our little obsessions...our personal causes and such. We like to be self centered that way. Wink Maybe it helps us to be empathetic enough, so that we can in turn, be fulfilled altruistically.

(10-06-2014 09:52 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  There is no comparison when you take the life of Christ or someone like Mother Teresa and lay it next to the life of some selfish self centered person and compare the two.

The difference is as wide as the sea and rightfully so.

Judgement... is something I try to refrain from. I don't compare people or lives. Each person I encounter may have a single thing about them; a unique thing. In fact, if I had anything which could be called faith, it would be that each human being I encounter is entirely unique.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
10-06-2014, 11:08 AM
(10-06-2014 10:19 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 10:17 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  Everything. (weak attempt to dodge)
Back to my question, what is your purpose for being here if not to antagonize?

To talk with people who have different views than I do.

You don't do that though.
You post your ideas and don't back them up. Just make statements that you have no intention of debating in a coherent way. You take pride in being an asshole and pissing people off.
There is no other reason to continue that behavior unless you enjoy bothering the people here. Your claims are transparent.
10-06-2014, 11:16 AM
You wrote: I was raised to put others needs before my own. I was taught that selfishness is a vice not a virtue. You would have me believe the exact opposite.

I know you were Jeremy and that is precisely the problem. You were raised to be a sacrificial animal. You were taught that one man's good must come at the expense of another man's harm. You were taught that your purpose is to sacrifice your own good for the good of others and your error is that you accepted it. This is the great evil of Christianity that it promotes self abnegation and self sacrifice. It teaches little children that to seek their own happiness is evil. There could not be a more anti-life philosophy than Christianity.

You have never considered the alternative of a rational self interest. Rational self interest is not doing whatever you want on the whim of the moment. A rationally selfish person lives long range. He wants to produce the values he needs for a happy life on his own. He is a trader in life. He does not accept the unearned. He does not accept anyone's sacrifice. Neither does he sacrifice himself to others. He deals with others by trading values not wounds. He does not seek to trample on others to achieve his goals. He treats others with the respect and dignity they deserve as individuals.

You believe it is either cut your own throat for others or cut their throat for yourself. I say let's do away with the entire concept of throat cutting.

Yes Jeremy I want you to accept the exact opposite of what you were taught. I want you to learn the virtue of rational self interest. I want you to live as a man.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 6 users Like true scotsman's post
10-06-2014, 11:32 AM
(10-06-2014 11:16 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  You wrote: I was raised to put others needs before my own. I was taught that selfishness is a vice not a virtue. You would have me believe the exact opposite.

I know you were Jeremy and that is precisely the problem. You were raised to be a sacrificial animal. You were taught that one man's good must come at the expense of another man's harm. You were taught that your purpose is to sacrifice your own good for the good of others and your error is that you accepted it. This is the great evil of Christianity that it promotes self abnegation and self sacrifice. It teaches little children that to seek their own happiness is evil. There could not be a more anti-life philosophy than Christianity.

You have never considered the alternative of a rational self interest. Rational self interest is not doing whatever you want on the whim of the moment. A rationally selfish person lives long range. He wants to produce the values he needs for a happy life on his own. He is a trader in life. He does not accept the unearned. He does not accept anyone's sacrifice. Neither does he sacrifice himself to others. He deals with others by trading values not wounds. He does not seek to trample on others to achieve his goals. He treats others with the respect and dignity they deserve as individuals.

You believe it is either cut your own throat for others or cut their throat for yourself. I say let's do away with the entire concept of throat cutting.

Yes Jeremy I want you to accept the exact opposite of what you were taught. I want you to learn the virtue of rational self interest. I want you to live as a man.

I do not consider living selfishly living as a man. I would consider that childish.

You also speak about not accepting what you have not earned. The very freedom afforded to you to sit and speak as you do was something secured for you by those who lived and died that came before you and is thus something you have not earned. The same men who denied themselves and fought and gave their lives so that you can sit in the comfort of your home and talk about being selfish as if it is a virtue and as if you are a man because you think so.

Real men are selfless, not selfish. The real men are the ones who deny themselves and put their lives on the line so children like you can sit here in the safety and security of your home on an internet forum and talk about "living as a man".

The real men are the soldiers, the police officers, the fire fighters and other public servants who make a living out of putting themselves in harms way so those who cannot help themselves might have some small measure of peace of mind. Many of these men have families and children of their own and if they thought like you they would throw their hands up and say to hell with everybody else, im gonna look out for me and my own.

Thank God, people who think like you sir are in the minority.
10-06-2014, 11:39 AM
(10-06-2014 10:19 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 10:17 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  Everything. (weak attempt to dodge)
Back to my question, what is your purpose for being here if not to antagonize?

To talk with people who have different views than I do.

Do you find what you're doing here morally laudable?

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
10-06-2014, 11:40 AM
Jeremy, am I honouring God by refraining from masturbation?

No idea why he isn't answering me yet complains when people don't answer him
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post