[split] I need to rant to other atheists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2014, 11:50 AM
RE: [split] I need to rant to other atheists.
(10-06-2014 11:49 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 11:47 AM)John Wrote:  That was not what I was asking. I asked whether YOU find what you're doing here as morally laudable. Well?

I do not find it necessary to make that judgment.

Indulge me.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2014, 11:51 AM
(10-06-2014 11:50 AM)John Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 11:49 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I do not find it necessary to make that judgment.

Indulge me.

No thank you. I appreciate the offer though.
10-06-2014, 11:51 AM
(10-06-2014 11:47 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 11:45 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  So, like I've been saying, you're just here to bother people.

If that is how you see it then so be it.

There is no other way to see it.
10-06-2014, 11:52 AM
(10-06-2014 11:32 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  ----
-- ... people who think like you sir are in the minority.

I don't think that is the general consensus.

The men and women you listed are just doing their respective jobs - if one doesn't pull 100% of their expectations they may be out of either a job or life (possibly both). Perhaps those men and women went into those particular professions with the notion of helping people who can't help themselves. Perhaps they just needed a job and felt that profession would challenge them in some way (egocentricity). Whatever the intention, it is no different than the man or woman who becomes a house cleaner or a doctor. If what we do as human beings contributes to the betterment of all then who is anyone to judge?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
10-06-2014, 11:54 AM
(10-06-2014 11:51 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 11:50 AM)John Wrote:  Indulge me.

No thank you. I appreciate the offer though.

How about if I beat you with a staff and God is OK with it?

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
10-06-2014, 11:55 AM
(10-06-2014 11:43 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  And some of you have proven yourselves to be tasteless.

I hope that wasn't directed at me Sadcryface

I'm trying to figure out why you are an ascetic. From what I have observed the need for relief from masturbation is extremely strong in both men and women and religion seeks to control people by controlling this desire. It is a drive on a par with the need to eat, drink, sleep and to survive from what I have observed. But unlike all the other drives it is not fundamental to a person's immediate physical health so is suitable for being exploited by organisations seeking control.

Although the fact that you refer to some people being tasteless does suggest some sort of repression going on here. I've observed that after people orgasm from masturbation they can feel somewhat down. This is a natural consequence of the releasing all those neurochemicals at once but add to that guilt from repression I can imagine that would be enough to stop someone masturbating. The net effect of masturbation would be guilt.

Do you think that your life would be better if you could masturbate without guilt?

It's not like it hurts anybody.
10-06-2014, 11:56 AM
(10-06-2014 11:52 AM)kim Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 11:32 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  ----
-- ... people who think like you sir are in the minority.

I don't think that is the general consensus.

The men and women you listed are just doing their respective jobs - if one doesn't pull 100% of their expectations they may be out of either a job or life (possibly both). Perhaps those men and women went into those particular professions with the notion of helping people who can't help themselves. Perhaps they just needed a job and felt that profession would challenge them in some way (egocentricity). Whatever the intention, it is no different than the man or woman who becomes a house cleaner or a doctor. If what we do as human beings contributes to the betterment of all then who is anyone to judge?

lol how can being SELFish contribute to the betterment of all?
10-06-2014, 12:09 PM
(10-06-2014 11:56 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 11:52 AM)kim Wrote:  I don't think that is the general consensus.

lol how can being SELFish contribute to the betterment of all?

It appears the following occupations are selfish and do not contribute to society as they do not involve great personal risk:

School teacher
Garbage man
Priest
Home builder
Engineer
Scientist
Therapist
Artist
Personal trainer
Vet

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 2 users Like guitar_nut's post
10-06-2014, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2014 12:13 PM by kim.)
(10-06-2014 11:56 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  lol how can being SELFish contribute to the betterment of all?

Oh, I see you didn't read or at least didn't understand what was previously written as a direct response to you:

Quote:Rational self interest is not doing whatever you want on the whim of the moment. A rationally selfish person lives long range. He wants to produce the values he needs for a happy life on his own. He is a trader in life. He does not accept the unearned. He does not accept anyone's sacrifice. Neither does he sacrifice himself to others. He deals with others by trading values not wounds. He does not seek to trample on others to achieve his goals. He treats others with the respect and dignity they deserve as individuals.

Pretty succinct. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
10-06-2014, 12:15 PM
By not worshiping jesus does not make me selfish or tasteless you self righteous prick! Wow - had to get that out.

Why does your view have to be based on such a dichotomy? We all, including you, fall somewhere in between sacrificing for others and self satisfaction. I have never known any christian that practiced self denial or self sacrifice as jesus taught. It is not that hard to understand that we have one life to experience and enjoy, while respecting and helping others to do the same.

Take a look around Jeremy - do you deny and sacrifice everything that is you?

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —