[split] I need to rant to other atheists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2014, 12:20 PM
RE: [split] I need to rant to other atheists.
(10-06-2014 12:10 PM)kim Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 11:56 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  lol how can being SELFish contribute to the betterment of all?

Oh, I see you didn't read or at least didn't understand what was previously written as a direct response to you:

Quote:Rational self interest is not doing whatever you want on the whim of the moment. A rationally selfish person lives long range. He wants to produce the values he needs for a happy life on his own. He is a trader in life. He does not accept the unearned. He does not accept anyone's sacrifice. Neither does he sacrifice himself to others. He deals with others by trading values not wounds. He does not seek to trample on others to achieve his goals. He treats others with the respect and dignity they deserve as individuals.

Pretty succinct. Thumbsup

redefining selfishness to equate to some "rational self interest" in such a way as the gentleman has done is to not talk about selfishness at all.

according to this definition I act according to rational self interest by living a life of self denial and self sacrifice for I have paradoxically found that it is in my best interest to live in an unselfish manner.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2014, 12:22 PM
(10-06-2014 12:15 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Take a look around Jeremy - do you deny and sacrifice everything that is you?

Pssst.... Timber... he's a christee... they give everything to god....they don't accept personal responsibility for shit.... so, mmmyea.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
10-06-2014, 12:22 PM
Demonizing self happiness and fulfillment only works on children, which is why you deluded control freaks need to get them while they are young. Also, all evangelism is for selfish reasons whether you realize this or not.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
10-06-2014, 12:24 PM
Masturbation isn't selfish.
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
10-06-2014, 12:26 PM
(10-06-2014 12:09 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 11:56 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  lol how can being SELFish contribute to the betterment of all?

It appears the following occupations are selfish and do not contribute to society as they do not involve great personal risk:

School teacher
Garbage man
Priest
Home builder
Engineer
Scientist
Therapist
Artist
Personal trainer
Vet

another ridiculous post. just because someone has a job that is dangerous does not mean they are selfless.

Incidentally, here in America, it is becoming increasingly dangerous to be a school teacher. Just this minute a news report has indicated that at least one person has been shot to death at an Oregon High School.
10-06-2014, 12:27 PM
(10-06-2014 12:24 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Masturbation isn't selfish.

Certainly is not as it is actually a self sacrifice in order not to burden others.Wink

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 4 users Like Timber1025's post
10-06-2014, 12:28 PM
(10-06-2014 12:22 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Demonizing self happiness and fulfillment only works on children, which is why you deluded control freaks need to get them while they are young. Also, all evangelism is for selfish reasons whether you realize this or not.

i demonize neither.

I just see them differently than you. I am both happy and quite fulfilled. Nor do I see the pursuit of happiness and fulfillment as evil in and of itself.
10-06-2014, 12:31 PM
(10-06-2014 12:26 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 12:09 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  It appears the following occupations are selfish and do not contribute to society as they do not involve great personal risk:

School teacher
Garbage man
Priest
Home builder
Engineer
Scientist
Therapist
Artist
Personal trainer
Vet

another ridiculous post. just because someone has a job that is dangerous does not mean they are selfless.

Incidentally, here in America, it is becoming increasingly dangerous to be a school teacher. Just this minute a news report has indicated that at least one person has been shot to death at an Oregon High School.

You brought up the list of occupations that you deemed as selfless - what is wrong with you?! BTW, a school teacher in TX makes about one fourth the salary that the pastor at the local baptist church makes, so who should I take advice from?

— Dan Barker —
[+] 2 users Like Timber1025's post
10-06-2014, 12:32 PM
(10-06-2014 12:27 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 12:24 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Masturbation isn't selfish.

Certainly is not as it is actually a self sacrifice in order not to burden others.Wink

Good point! It's selfish not to masturbate because otherwise you'll be driven to having reproductive sex instead which means a greater chance of having more children. This increases the rate at which the Earth's finite resources are used up leaving less for future generations.

Abstaining from masturbation is actually incredibly selfish when you think about it.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
10-06-2014, 12:33 PM
(10-06-2014 12:28 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 12:22 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Demonizing self happiness and fulfillment only works on children, which is why you deluded control freaks need to get them while they are young. Also, all evangelism is for selfish reasons whether you realize this or not.

i demonize neither.

I just see them differently than you. I am both happy and quite fulfilled. Nor do I see the pursuit of happiness and fulfillment as evil in and of itself.

Then you are selfish - BINGO!

— Dan Barker —