[split] I need to rant to other atheists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2014, 12:36 PM
RE: [split] I need to rant to other atheists.
(10-06-2014 12:32 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 12:27 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Certainly is not as it is actually a self sacrifice in order not to burden others.Wink

Good point! It's selfish not to masturbate because otherwise you'll be driven to having reproductive sex instead which means a greater chance of having more children. This increases the rate at which the Earth's finite resources are used up leaving less for future generations.

Abstaining from masturbation is actually incredibly selfish when you think about it.

And I support this self sacrifice 100%! Thumbsup

Uh.... I gotta go ... be ... real altruistic now.

Unsure

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
10-06-2014, 12:36 PM
(10-06-2014 12:27 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Certainly is not as it is actually a self sacrifice in order not to burden others.Wink

Good point! It's selfish not to masturbate because otherwise you'll be driven to having reproductive sex instead which means a greater chance of having more children. This increases the rate at which the Earth's finite resources are used up leaving less for future generations.

Abstaining from masturbation is actually incredibly selfish when you think about it.

14 pages in and I learned something enlightening - AMEN!

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
10-06-2014, 12:40 PM
(10-06-2014 12:26 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  another ridiculous post. just because someone has a job that is dangerous does not mean they are selfless.

Ridiculous my ass. Just a few posts back you made a comment that "real men" put themselves in harms way to give peace of mind to those who cannot help themselves. Here is the quote for your reference:

Quote:Real men are selfless, not selfish. The real men are the ones who deny themselves and put their lives on the line so children like you can sit here in the safety and security of your home on an internet forum and talk about "living as a man".

The real men are the soldiers, the police officers, the fire fighters and other public servants who make a living out of putting themselves in harms way so those who cannot help themselves might have some small measure of peace of mind. Many of these men have families and children of their own and if they thought like you they would throw their hands up and say to hell with everybody else, im gonna look out for me and my own.

Can a doctor, vet, or school teacher "live as a man"? What if they chose their profession because they wanted to do it, and not because it offered public service? What if someone becomes a doctor because they're interested in surgery and how internal organs work? Can a doctor be selfish because of their personal motivations?

You've actually been taught that any sort of self-seeking is shameful and selfish. To take your extreme approach, if we all rejected any deliberate pursuit of happiness through self-seeking actions, we would have a world of individuals devoid of art, expression, creativity, and love.

If you cannot love yourself, if you are actually ashamed to pursue any action that leads to your happiness, how can you possibly understand what it is to bring joy to others?

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 4 users Like guitar_nut's post
10-06-2014, 12:41 PM
Not to mention that refraining from masturbation will make you a more aggressive person to everyone else around you.

Sounds kind of selfish to me.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
10-06-2014, 12:50 PM
(10-06-2014 12:40 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  To take your extreme approach, if we all rejected any deliberate pursuit of happiness through self-seeking actions, we would have a world of individuals devoid of art, expression, creativity, and love.

These are not only the very things which make us human but are also the very reason we have MRI machines... which happens to be a byproduct of space exploration.

Which as everyone knows was a selfish, selfish, self serving, childish, selfish activity which got people killed and uh ... forced people go to the Moon .... for no damn good reason!! Blink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
10-06-2014, 12:50 PM
(10-06-2014 12:41 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Not to mention that refraining from masturbation will make you a more aggressive person to everyone else around you.

Sounds kind of selfish to me.

Perhaps it would be prudent if Jerry was taught not to rape. Ya know, just in case.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
10-06-2014, 12:52 PM
(10-06-2014 12:31 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 12:26 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  another ridiculous post. just because someone has a job that is dangerous does not mean they are selfless.

Incidentally, here in America, it is becoming increasingly dangerous to be a school teacher. Just this minute a news report has indicated that at least one person has been shot to death at an Oregon High School.

You brought up the list of occupations that you deemed as selfless - what is wrong with you?! BTW, a school teacher in TX makes about one fourth the salary that the pastor at the local baptist church makes, so who should I take advice from?

depends on the nature of your inquiry.
10-06-2014, 12:55 PM
(10-06-2014 12:40 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  

Ridiculous my ass. Just a few posts back you made a comment that "real men" put themselves in harms way to give peace of mind to those who cannot help themselves. Here is the quote for your reference:

Quote:Real men are selfless, not selfish. The real men are the ones who deny themselves and put their lives on the line so children like you can sit here in the safety and security of your home on an internet forum and talk about "living as a man".

The real men are the soldiers, the police officers, the fire fighters and other public servants who make a living out of putting themselves in harms way so those who cannot help themselves might have some small measure of peace of mind. Many of these men have families and children of their own and if they thought like you they would throw their hands up and say to hell with everybody else, im gonna look out for me and my own.

Can a doctor, vet, or school teacher "live as a man"? What if they chose their profession because they wanted to do it, and not because it offered public service? What if someone becomes a doctor because they're interested in surgery and how internal organs work? Can a doctor be selfish because of their personal motivations?

You've actually been taught that any sort of self-seeking is shameful and selfish. To take your extreme approach, if we all rejected any deliberate pursuit of happiness through self-seeking actions, we would have a world of individuals devoid of art, expression, creativity, and love.

If you cannot love yourself, if you are actually ashamed to pursue any action that leads to your happiness, how can you possibly understand what it is to bring joy to others?

Real men are those who defend the defenseless, feed the hungry, clothe the naked, and love their neighbor as themselves. Real men are selfless not selfish.

To take my post and try to use it to claim I said only real men are those that have certain jobs is ridiculous.
10-06-2014, 12:58 PM

you make it sound like people do not have the capacity to exercise self control.

That they either masterbate or go have sex with someone. How about the third option? Allow your body to get rid of the excess semen via nocturnal emission?
10-06-2014, 01:01 PM
(10-06-2014 12:58 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 12:32 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Good point! It's selfish not to masturbate because otherwise you'll be driven to having reproductive sex instead which means a greater chance of having more children. This increases the rate at which the Earth's finite resources are used up leaving less for future generations.

you make it sound like people do not have the capacity to exercise self control.

That they either masterbate or go have sex with someone. How about the third option? Allow your body to get rid of the excess semen via nocturnal emission?

Sounds like an awful lot of trouble just to abstain from masturbating. Needlessly messy too I think, unless you take precautions. Do you?

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?