[split] I need to rant to other atheists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2014, 01:02 PM
RE: [split] I need to rant to other atheists.
(10-06-2014 12:58 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 12:32 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Good point! It's selfish not to masturbate because otherwise you'll be driven to having reproductive sex instead which means a greater chance of having more children. This increases the rate at which the Earth's finite resources are used up leaving less for future generations.

Abstaining from masturbation is actually incredibly selfish when you think about it.

you make it sound like people do not have the capacity to exercise self control.

That they either masterbate or go have sex with someone. How about the third option? Allow your body to get rid of the excess semen via nocturnal emission?

We have a wet dream aficionado in the house!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2014, 01:05 PM
(10-06-2014 12:41 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Not to mention that refraining from masturbation will make you a more aggressive person to everyone else around you.

Sounds kind of selfish to me.

Mathilda, I like that you've been focusing on the masturbation issue. This is one of the most natural and harmless activities known to humans but somehow religion isn't happy with people doing natural things.

Keep pounding away at this subject. Errr. Yeah! Thumbsup

Oh, I recently read a couple of great books about the subject of sex throughout history One is... Sex and Punishment by Eric Berkowitz and the other is.... Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach. Great information in each book.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
10-06-2014, 01:08 PM
[split] I need to rant to other atheists.
(09-06-2014 03:03 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 02:39 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  Jeremy? Why don't YOU?
BTW: Since you're here and seem to have some spare time, why don't you get over to the Boxing Ring?

Jeremy has asked a question which no one on this forum, particularly the moral nihilists, can or wants to answer. This is something I posted about as well. Kant made a similar point. It doesn't matter whether the particular portrayal of Jesus is fictional, mythical, semi-fictional based on one or more people. The point Kant makes is that the moral philosophy contained in the NT is reason based to a degree and whether one arrives at it via reason or via a belief in the supernatural aspects of the story, the result is the same.

If a child reads a Harry Potter type novel in which the hero portrays virtuous behaviour, we would be happy with that. Fairy tales, myths are used to convey meaning. We mock ancient peoples who read things in the stars but in an age when most people were illiterate, they had to invent stories about star configurations to remember and pass on information.

What we have on this forum is truly appalling in some ways. It is supposed to be about thinking and "reasoning". Here we have someone who is a devout Christian who has posted something which Kant, the father of modern philosophy, wrote about, and no one has the kahunas to deal with it seriously.

1. No one has to be a Christian to live with reason-based morality.

In fact, Christians are often moral despite the horrific Bronze Age morality outlined in the NT.

2. You're thinking of Descartes, credited for the analytical framework of modern ø.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
10-06-2014, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2014 01:16 PM by Mathilda.)
(10-06-2014 12:58 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 12:32 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Good point! It's selfish not to masturbate because otherwise you'll be driven to having reproductive sex instead which means a greater chance of having more children. This increases the rate at which the Earth's finite resources are used up leaving less for future generations.

Abstaining from masturbation is actually incredibly selfish when you think about it.

you make it sound like people do not have the capacity to exercise self control.

That they either masterbate or go have sex with someone. How about the third option? Allow your body to get rid of the excess semen via nocturnal emission?

But if you're married with the woman being told that she must be submissive to her husband and both of them must be submissive to God then this means that there is greater chance of there being penetrative sex and thus child birth. Especially for Catholics who are told that contraceptives are a sin.

Now maybe you are like me and don't have a strong sex drive or the need to act upon it, but many people do. If you lead a church and preach that masturbation is wrong then many of your congregation will be those who need to relieve their drives in ways other than through nocturnal emmisions.

If you deliberately refrain from masturbation even though you want to do it then you are also collaborating with this selfish act.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
10-06-2014, 01:55 PM
My Favorite Firefly Quotes: http://youtu.be/HBeIrk-Refo

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
10-06-2014, 02:14 PM
(10-06-2014 12:55 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  To take my post and try to use it to claim I said only real men are those that have certain jobs is ridiculous.

I see. Where previously you listed jobs and referred to them as real men (you must be forgetting that everything you type is stored here and easy to reference), what you actually meant was real men are those who:

(10-06-2014 12:55 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Real men are those who defend the defenseless, feed the hungry, clothe the naked, and love their neighbor as themselves. Real men are selfless not selfish.

Try not to toss in things like jobs, assign them meaning, and then say you didn't imply they had any meaning. That's just weird.

What you struggle with is the grey area. Can fireman be a real man if he goes home and indulges in a personal hobby, say painting, that benefits nobody but himself? Does pursuit of selfish activities undo the selfless behavior? Does the desire to do something for yourself earn you shame? I know some pretty great people who do both selfish and selfless things. According to you, that's not admirable. According to you, that will throw the world into some sort of lawless chaos... there's no in-between.

Who taught you to think like this?

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 3 users Like guitar_nut's post
10-06-2014, 02:20 PM
(09-06-2014 12:12 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Why are you not a follower of Jesus Christ?

For the same reason you're not a follower of Aphrodite.

Drinking Beverage
[+] 4 users Like TheBear's post
10-06-2014, 02:24 PM
(10-06-2014 02:20 PM)TheBear Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 12:12 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Why are you not a follower of Jesus Christ?

For the same reason you're not a follower of Aphrodite.

Drinking Beverage

I do not follow Aphrodite because she is a lousy person to follow. Nor did she die so that I might live.

Bear, I have had people say what you have said to me using different people/gods. The answer I give you is the answer I give them.

Its a lousy argument.
10-06-2014, 02:30 PM
(10-06-2014 02:14 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 12:55 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  To take my post and try to use it to claim I said only real men are those that have certain jobs is ridiculous.

I see. Where previously you listed jobs and referred to them as real men (you must be forgetting that everything you type is stored here and easy to reference), what you actually meant was real men are those who:

(10-06-2014 12:55 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Real men are those who defend the defenseless, feed the hungry, clothe the naked, and love their neighbor as themselves. Real men are selfless not selfish.

Try not to toss in things like jobs, assign them meaning, and then say you didn't imply they had any meaning. That's just weird.

What you struggle with is the grey area. Can fireman be a real man if he goes home and indulges in a personal hobby, say painting, that benefits nobody but himself? Does pursuit of selfish activities undo the selfless behavior? Does the desire to do something for yourself earn you shame? I know some pretty great people who do both selfish and selfless things. According to you, that's not admirable. According to you, that will throw the world into some sort of lawless chaos... there's no in-between.

Who taught you to think like this?

I dabble in Oil Landscapes myself.

You do not understand what the word selfish means it seems.
10-06-2014, 02:37 PM
(10-06-2014 02:24 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 02:20 PM)TheBear Wrote:  For the same reason you're not a follower of Aphrodite.

Drinking Beverage

I do not follow Aphrodite because she is a lousy person to follow. Nor did she die so that I might live.

Bear, I have had people say what you have said to me using different people/gods. The answer I give you is the answer I give them.

Its a lousy argument.

Lousy argument my ass.

I'll make it perfectly clear for you. I don't believe in your bullshit beliefs.

Better now?

Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes TheBear's post