[split] I need to rant to other atheists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2014, 02:48 PM
[split] And the hits keep on coming from the Catholic church.
Seven of you have expressed moral outrage against this man.

I want to ask you all a question:

Are any of you meta-ethical moral relativists?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2014, 02:49 PM
RE: [split] I need to rant to other atheists.
(10-06-2014 02:37 PM)TheBear Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 02:24 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I do not follow Aphrodite because she is a lousy person to follow. Nor did she die so that I might live.

Bear, I have had people say what you have said to me using different people/gods. The answer I give you is the answer I give them.

Its a lousy argument.

Lousy argument my ass.

I'll make it perfectly clear for you. I don't believe in your bullshit beliefs.

Better now?

Drinking Beverage

Yes that is better. Far more concise and clear.
10-06-2014, 02:56 PM
(10-06-2014 02:30 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I dabble in Oil Landscapes myself.

You do not understand what the word selfish means it seems.

Then please provide the 'correct' definition of selfish. Here's what I'm using:

'concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others'

When I play guitar in my room, I am concerned only with myself. I am trying to improve a skill of mine. I do not think of others when I am playing guitar and I do it strictly for my own enjoyment without regard for others. My guitar music does not help a single person. This fits perfectly within the definition of selfishness.

I could turn my amp up and annoy my neighbors. This also fits perfectly within the definition of selfishness.

Note that selfishness doesn't have to be harmful to others; it is simply an action performed without regards to others, for self-benefit. It is also not a permanent state.

To think all selfish behavior is bad is ridiculous. Religion has tacked a bunch of baggage onto the pursuit of happiness and turned it into some sort of sin. No thank you.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 4 users Like guitar_nut's post
10-06-2014, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2014 03:35 PM by Jeremy E Walker.)
(10-06-2014 02:56 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 02:30 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I dabble in Oil Landscapes myself.

You do not understand what the word selfish means it seems.

Then please provide the 'correct' definition of selfish. Here's what I'm using:

'concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others'

When I play guitar in my room, I am concerned only with myself. I am trying to improve a skill of mine. I do not think of others when I am playing guitar and I do it strictly for my own enjoyment without regard for others. My guitar music does not help a single person. This fits perfectly within the definition of selfishness.

I could turn my amp up and annoy my neighbors. This also fits perfectly within the definition of selfishness.

Note that selfishness doesn't have to be harmful to others; it is simply an action performed without regards to others, for self-benefit. It is also not a permanent state.

To think all selfish behavior is bad is ridiculous. Religion has tacked a bunch of baggage onto the pursuit of happiness and turned it into some sort of sin. No thank you.

this whole discussion started when I asked the questions:

Why not live a life of utter self-denial and self sacrifice so that those around you who you encounter on a day to day basis may be edified and built up and encouraged?

Why not give to those who are in need without expecting anything in return? Why not love your enemies and bless those who curse you?

Why not seek to always do that which is right for the sake of righteousness?

Why not love your neighbor as yourself and always be mindful of other people and esteem others more highly than yourself?

A true scotsman responded by saying

"Because that is the life of a sacrificial animal. Because those ideas are unspeakably evil. It is the morality of death......What is wrong with your own happiness being your highest purpose in life? Why do we ever need to sacrifice? Why not enjoy your life and use your mind to the fullest to achieve your own purpose neither sacrificing yourself to others or others to yourself?"

Now, you are wrong in thinking that I have something against you playing the guitar. When I say that real men are selfless and not selfish, I am not saying that real men never do things for themselves.

What I am saying is that real men do not live selfish LIVES. They do not make it their life's end to do whatever they please whenever they please at the expense of other people. They do not make a habit of placing their own wants and needs before those around them. I denounce the ideology that a selfish lifestyle is something virtuous. NOTICE I SAID LIFESTYLE.

I paint oil landscapes and play the guitar. I also like sportbikes. But I do not order my life around these things at the expense of other people. I do not think life is all about me and about what I want or what I need. That is what I denounce and that is the selfishness I speak out against.

Real men do not live for themselves at the expense of others.

That is something that children do that do not know any better or know better but do not care. Either way, it is not virtuous. It is cowardly and self-centered.

But heck, in a world where each is left to do what he wills, this is all men really have to live for.
10-06-2014, 03:36 PM
[split] And the hits keep on coming from the Catholic church.
(10-06-2014 03:35 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I saw this article today and just got so angry.... Facepalm his lies are so obvious to those who don't intentionally have their head in the sand. More pushing blame, more trying to save face when they are obviously the WORST!!!!

Why are you angry?
10-06-2014, 03:39 PM
(10-06-2014 03:31 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 02:56 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  Then please provide the 'correct' definition of selfish. Here's what I'm using:

this whole discussion started when I asked the questions:

Why not live a life of utter self-denial and self sacrifice so that those around you who you encounter on a day to day basis may be edified and built up and encouraged?

Why not give to those who are in need without expecting anything in return? Why not love your enemies and bless those who curse you?

Why not seek to always do that which is right for the sake of righteousness?

Why not love your neighbor as yourself and always be mindful of other people and esteem others more highly than yourself?

A true scotsman responded by saying

"Because that is the life of a sacrificial animal. Because those ideas are unspeakably evil. It is the morality of death......What is wrong with your own happiness being your highest purpose in life? Why do we ever need to sacrifice? Why not enjoy your life and use your mind to the fullest to achieve your own purpose neither sacrificing yourself to others or others to yourself?"

Now, you are wrong in thinking that I have something against you playing the guitar. When I say that real men are selfless and not selfish, I am not saying that real men never do things for themselves.

What I am saying is that real men do not live selfish LIVES. They do not make it their life's end to do whatever they please whenever they please at the expense of other people. They do not make a habit of placing their own wants and needs before those around them. I denounce the ideology that a selfish lifestyle is something virtuous. NOTICE I SAID LIFESTYLE.

I paint oil landscapes and play the guitar. I also like sportbikes. But I do not order my life around these things at the expense of other people. I do not think life is all about me and about what I want or what I need. That is what I denounce and that is the selfishness I speak out against.

Real men do not live for themselves at the expense of others.

Fine then Jeremy - most on this forum do not follow or serve any fictional people, so is it your opinion that we have selfish lifestyles? Do you have any evidence that anybody in this discussion leads a primarily selfish lifestyle? If the answer is no then you need to shut up and move on to finding a bunch of morons and continue your discussion and judgement with them.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 3 users Like Timber1025's post
10-06-2014, 03:49 PM
RE: And the hits keep on coming from the Catholic church.
(10-06-2014 03:36 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 03:35 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I saw this article today and just got so angry.... Facepalm his lies are so obvious to those who don't intentionally have their head in the sand. More pushing blame, more trying to save face when they are obviously the WORST!!!!

Why are you angry?

Oh I don't know, a group that covers up the molestation of children, allows it to continue, and helps those who've committed such a horrible crime escape punishment kinda pisses me off. Dodgy

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 3 users Like Smercury44's post
10-06-2014, 03:54 PM
Jeremy E. Walker said:
Quote:Why not love your neighbor as yourself and always be mindful of other people and esteem others more highly than yourself?

Yea why not?
Why not stop bothering people for your own selfish reasons?
You don't appear to be very mindful of others Jerry.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
10-06-2014, 03:56 PM

Why are you angry?

Stop trying to derail threads.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
10-06-2014, 04:02 PM

Why are you angry?

Why would you ask such an obnoxious question?
This is what I mean by being antagonistic.
You know it's why you do it, to be a prick, there is no other reason for this type of remark.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post