[split] I need to rant to other atheists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2014, 04:13 PM
RE: [split] I need to rant to other atheists.
Jeremy,
5) Maliciously Disrupting the Forum is Prohibited
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
10-06-2014, 04:19 PM
(10-06-2014 03:31 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 02:56 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  Then please provide the 'correct' definition of selfish. Here's what I'm using:

'concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others'

When I play guitar in my room, I am concerned only with myself. I am trying to improve a skill of mine. I do not think of others when I am playing guitar and I do it strictly for my own enjoyment without regard for others. My guitar music does not help a single person. This fits perfectly within the definition of selfishness.

I could turn my amp up and annoy my neighbors. This also fits perfectly within the definition of selfishness.

Note that selfishness doesn't have to be harmful to others; it is simply an action performed without regards to others, for self-benefit. It is also not a permanent state.

To think all selfish behavior is bad is ridiculous. Religion has tacked a bunch of baggage onto the pursuit of happiness and turned it into some sort of sin. No thank you.

this whole discussion started when I asked the questions:

Why not live a life of utter self-denial and self sacrifice so that those around you who you encounter on a day to day basis may be edified and built up and encouraged?

Why not give to those who are in need without expecting anything in return? Why not love your enemies and bless those who curse you?

Why not seek to always do that which is right for the sake of righteousness?

Why not love your neighbor as yourself and always be mindful of other people and esteem others more highly than yourself?

A true scotsman responded by saying

"Because that is the life of a sacrificial animal. Because those ideas are unspeakably evil. It is the morality of death......What is wrong with your own happiness being your highest purpose in life? Why do we ever need to sacrifice? Why not enjoy your life and use your mind to the fullest to achieve your own purpose neither sacrificing yourself to others or others to yourself?"

Now, you are wrong in thinking that I have something against you playing the guitar. When I say that real men are selfless and not selfish, I am not saying that real men never do things for themselves.

What I am saying is that real men do not live selfish LIVES. They do not make it their life's end to do whatever they please whenever they please at the expense of other people. They do not make a habit of placing their own wants and needs before those around them. I denounce the ideology that a selfish lifestyle is something virtuous. NOTICE I SAID LIFESTYLE.

I paint oil landscapes and play the guitar. I also like sportbikes. But I do not order my life around these things at the expense of other people. I do not think life is all about me and about what I want or what I need. That is what I denounce and that is the selfishness I speak out against.

Real men do not live for themselves at the expense of others.

That is something that children do that do not know any better or know better but do not care. Either way, it is not virtuous. It is cowardly and self-centered.

But heck, in a world where each is left to do what he wills, this is all men really have to live for.

Are you a parent? I don't think you are otherwise you'd have a different view of things. A little less romanticized.

So lets talk about parenting, shall we?

Yes, as a parent there are times when sacrifice is very necessary. Men and women who are agnostic, atheist (as I am) religious or barely believers, sacrifice their lifestyle to the raising of children..... but it really has zero to do with religion, it has everything to do with carrying on the next generation. It's some inborn animal (we are animals by the way) instinct to keep the species going. But if someone is in a constant state of sacrifice, continually giving away the body's energy to the raising of children, it is entirely unhealthy for kids to see such an unbalanced lifestyle. Children who witness their parents in complete sacrificial mode all the time have nothing to look forward to as adults but to be eaten alive by their offspring. There needs to be a balance between sacrifice and selfishness but what you can't accept is that it has NOTHING to do with gods or a romanticized idea of some dopy afterlife, it has everything to do the realities of living and keeping oneself sane while raising the next generation of productive, thinking adults.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
10-06-2014, 04:24 PM
What the actual fuck?
Pulling a statement by someone else, from different thread, to this thread in order to avoid answering questions asked of you here?

Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
10-06-2014, 04:56 PM
I know how hard it is to ignore, the constant begging of a stray cat, and I am guilty for feeding it too, but we all know that said cat will never leave, as long as we continue, throwing him morsels.

[Image: images14.jpg]

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
10-06-2014, 05:10 PM
(09-06-2014 12:12 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 09:13 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  Hello lovelies, haven't been on here in several months. I'm getting worse and worse at this whole social media thing. Just deleted my Facebook and everything...I was probably about to lose most of my FB friends anyway, because I've been "coming out" a lot more recently. I told someone on my public FB page that I'm a freethinker. Gasp! It was such a relief! I'm just beginning to care less and less about what people think. Frankly, I was starting to get mad that I'm expected to keep my opinions to myself just because people won't agree with me. While every other Christian on my FB gets to shove their beliefs down everyone's throat and turn up their noses to "sinners" and, thanks to "Gods Not Dead," atheists ALL THE TIME on FB.

Also, a day after my little confession, my dad told me to watch Questioning Darwin, which I'm sure you've all talked about already. OH MY FUCKING GOD. Hobo

And then I have every other Christian saying "Oh yeah, I hate religion too." Because, you know, Christianity is a relationship. I should tell them that I tried to get into a relationship with Jesus, but he never called back. I'm pretty sure he gave me the wrong number. Bastard. Oh well, there's plenty of gods in the sea.

I think the worst part is knowing that people close to me don't take me seriously because I'm not a Christian.

Why are you not a follower of Jesus Christ?

Because fuck off... That's why.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
10-06-2014, 05:16 PM
Jeremy, why are you not a follower of Satan?

Free thinker, killed fewer people than God, rebelled against an oppressor, has all the best tunes ...
[+] 12 users Like Mathilda's post
10-06-2014, 05:52 PM
(10-06-2014 05:16 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Jeremy, why are you not a follower of Satan?

Free thinker, killed fewer people than God, rebelled against an oppressor, has all the best tunes ...

LOL! Oh so true. I believe god in the Bible killed over 2 million and that's a very, very low count and Satan killed around 10 people. Not 10 million but 10.. a one with a zero.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
10-06-2014, 06:44 PM
(10-06-2014 06:02 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I see posts full of obscenities and hateful language.

I see people calling me a troll and personally attacking me.

I see very little engagement of the points I have made.

And yet you want me to believe you all are somehow 'moral'?

That you all are somehow the bastion of rationality and reason?

How does it help your cause to act the same way as the narrow minded and dogmatic religious you see as being a threat to society?

My disgust at your inability to listen to us as we've listened to you, and my negative rep of you, isn't censorship, since it hasn't kept you from posting whatever religious non-sense you like here on an Atheist site. A privelidge I doubt I'd be granted on a christian site! But it does hopefully let anyone reading your posts know they're wasting their time!

As you can say, on any number of TV shows on any number of TV stations, that gawd is good, but I try to point out that the Bible condones rape and the soundbite gets pulled from the show before it goes live, why would you begrudge us our turn at being oppressive assholes?

[+] 5 users Like TheGulegon's post
10-06-2014, 07:04 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2014 07:47 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Germey has offered to PM some people here his "personal proof" of his god. He admitted that he once made what he came to think were bad choices, and credits Jebus for the change. I'm rather sure he fears somehow returning to his former habits, whatever they were, and needs, (I repeat *needs*) to explain his experience of himself to himself as "evil" and "saved by Jebus" as he lacks any other explanation. He's a drowning man. He Needs his lifeline/crutch. Sort of sad actually. He has nothing unique or even halfway intelligent. Just repeated rehash of WLC level simplistic bullshit. He needs to repeat it, to make HIMSELF think it's rational. When asked about it, instead of answering, he deflects by asking inane questions. What I can't make out is, is he actually employed by his "Let all Get High" (the Elevation") church ? Check out it's website. Pretty hilarious. No dissent allowed. Only the founder's opinions are allowed.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
10-06-2014, 08:12 PM
(10-06-2014 05:16 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Jeremy, why are you not a follower of Satan?

ThumbsupBowing

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes CindysRain's post