[split] I need to rant to other atheists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2014, 02:36 PM
RE: I need to rant to other atheists.
(09-06-2014 12:24 PM)Elskidor Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 12:18 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  If that were true, would it be a good reason not to be a follower of Christ?

If so, why?

The best reason would be because he's a fictional character, and poorly written one at that.

Even if this is true, why not pattern one's life after His?

Why not live a life of utter self-denial and self sacrifice so that those around you who you encounter on a day to day basis may be edified and built up and encouraged?

Why not give to those who are in need without expecting anything in return? Why not love your enemies and bless those who curse you?

Why not seek to always do that which is right for the sake of righteousness?

Why not love your neighbor as yourself and always be mindful of other people and esteem others more highly than yourself?

Even if it was proven that Christ was a myth, why not live the way it is claimed He said we should?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2014, 02:39 PM
(09-06-2014 12:45 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 12:18 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  If that were true, would it be a good reason not to be a follower of Christ?

If so, why?

Given that one of the claims of Christianity is that it makes its followers good people (or, at least, better people) through Christ, and that you are one of many, many, many counterexamples showing that this claim is false? And how the advancement of this claim based mostly on blind faith with a bit of fallacious-apologist-spackle was sufficient to create widespread belief in something we later demonstrated was false? And given how the evidence for other Christian creeds is just as flimsy? Yes. Yes it's a good reason.

Also, here's a tip. Nature has various ways of telling us "do not touch this right now". A bee's stripes. A porcupine's quills. A hot coal's red glow. And a thread titled "I need to rant to other atheists". Picking at an atheist's non-belief, in a thread of that title, and an OP of that nature... I can't see any goal a thinking Christian would possibly imagine they'd be advancing in doing that, save making the OP actively hate Christianity. What the fuck are you even thinking? ARE you even thinking?

Facepalm

I did not ask you the question.
09-06-2014, 02:39 PM
(09-06-2014 02:36 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 12:24 PM)Elskidor Wrote:  The best reason would be because he's a fictional character, and poorly written one at that.

Why not live a life of utter self-denial and self sacrifice so that those around you who you encounter on a day to day basis may be edified and built up and encouraged?

Why not give to those who are in need without expecting anything in return? Why not love your enemies and bless those who curse you?

Why not love your neighbor as yourself and always be mindful of other people and esteem others more highly than yourself?

Even if it was proven that Christ was a myth, why not live the way it is claimed He said we should?

Jeremy? Why don't YOU?
BTW: Since you're here and seem to have some spare time, why don't you get over to the Boxing Ring?
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
09-06-2014, 02:41 PM
(09-06-2014 02:39 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 02:36 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Even if this is true, why not pattern one's life after His?

Jeremy? Why don't YOU?
BTW: Since you're here and seem to have some spare time, why don't you get over to the Boxing Ring?

I seek to live righteously moment by moment in the sight of both God and man.

That is my greatest desire.
09-06-2014, 03:03 PM
[split] I need to rant to other atheists.
(09-06-2014 02:39 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 02:36 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Even if this is true, why not pattern one's life after His?

Jeremy? Why don't YOU?

Jeremy has asked a question which no one on this forum, particularly the moral nihilists, can or wants to answer. This is something I posted about as well. Kant made a similar point. It doesn't matter whether the particular portrayal of Jesus is fictional, mythical, semi-fictional based on one or more people. The point Kant makes is that the moral philosophy contained in the NT is reason based to a degree and whether one arrives at it via reason or via a belief in the supernatural aspects of the story, the result is the same.

If a child reads a Harry Potter type novel in which the hero portrays virtuous behaviour, we would be happy with that. Fairy tales, myths are used to convey meaning. We mock ancient peoples who read things in the stars but in an age when most people were illiterate, they had to invent stories about star configurations to remember and pass on information.

What we have on this forum is truly appalling in some ways. It is supposed to be about thinking and "reasoning". Here we have someone who is a devout Christian who has posted something which Kant, the father of modern philosophy, wrote about, and no one has the kahunas to deal with it seriously.
09-06-2014, 03:04 PM
RE: [split] I need to rant to other atheists.
(09-06-2014 02:39 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  *actual quoted text removed to spare those who have ignored this guy*

Yeah, well the entire original thread was explicitly addressed to atheists, not to you, but you butted in anyway. OH LOOK! SUDDENLY IT MATTERS WHO WAS OR WASN'T BEING ADDRESSED! At least my response was on-topic to what I was responding to.
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
09-06-2014, 03:10 PM
(09-06-2014 02:36 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 12:24 PM)Elskidor Wrote:  The best reason would be because he's a fictional character, and poorly written one at that.

Nobody said she was not a good person! Why assume the OP is not a caring, giving, charitable, and compasionate person? Why do you need to have a jebus myth in order to have a good opinion about a person/yourself?

According to the myth, Jebus was a bigot at times, would not offer help without subjugation, and was OK with slave ownership just to name a few attributes you should copy. That fog your in must be suffocating!

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
09-06-2014, 03:16 PM
(09-06-2014 03:10 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  

Nobody said she was not a good person! Why assume the OP is not a caring, giving, charitable, and compasionate person? Why do you need to have a jebus myth in order to have a good opinion about a person/yourself?

According to the myth, Jebus was a bigot at times, would not offer help without subjugation, and was OK with slave ownership just to name a few attributes you should copy. That fog your in must be suffocating!

i simply asked why not live a life of self denial and self sacrificing love? this is what i mean by being a follower of Jesus Christ for this is how one seeks to live if they are a follower of Christ.
09-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Are you incapable of figuring out how to behave without having to consult fairy tales?
I'm going to go with the real life evidence that the followers of jebus have committed some of the worst atrocities in history.
09-06-2014, 03:19 PM
(09-06-2014 03:18 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  Are you incapable of figuring out how to behave without having to consult fairy tales?
I'm going to go with the real life evidence that the followers of jebus have committed some of the worst atrocities in history.

name one atrocity that a follower of Jesus' life and teachings has committed.