[split] I need to rant to other atheists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2014, 08:44 AM
RE: [split] I need to rant to other atheists.
(12-06-2014 08:23 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 07:29 AM)guitar_nut Wrote:  Quick correction: It's Luke 19:27. Carry on, slayers.

And where is the context?

It's not ok in any context to have people killed for not being subservient to you. Try it, you'll end up in jail, where you would belong under such circumstances, regardless of context.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
12-06-2014, 08:53 AM
(12-06-2014 08:44 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 08:23 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  And where is the context?

It's not ok in any context to have people killed for not being subservient to you. Try it, you'll end up in jail, where you would belong under such circumstances, regardless of context.

If the context is a parable (which is the case) then Jesus was making a specific point and did so utilizing a familar teaching tool used in that culture at that time.

So yes, the context is imperative in rightly interpreting the text. All you all have done is fallaciously quote mined the gospel of Luke.

Fail.
12-06-2014, 08:54 AM
(12-06-2014 08:53 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 08:44 AM)Dom Wrote:  It's not ok in any context to have people killed for not being subservient to you. Try it, you'll end up in jail, where you would belong under such circumstances, regardless of context.

If the context is a parable (which is the case) then Jesus was making a specific point and did so utilizing a familar teaching tool used in that culture at that time.

So yes, the context is imperative in rightly interpreting the text. All you all have done is fallaciously quote mined the gospel of Luke.

Fail.

Parable or no parable, it's as immoral as can be.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-06-2014, 08:59 AM
(12-06-2014 08:23 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 07:29 AM)guitar_nut Wrote:  Quick correction: It's Luke 19:27. Carry on, slayers.

And where is the context?

Since I've already explained to you in your thread "veritas" that your god can't exist in reality but only in your imagination the context is the cartoon world created in the minds of the men who wrote the bible and you can interpret it any way you want which is why it can mean different things to different people. It 's not objectively true.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
12-06-2014, 09:01 AM
(12-06-2014 08:54 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 08:53 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  If the context is a parable (which is the case) then Jesus was making a specific point and did so utilizing a familar teaching tool used in that culture at that time.

Fail.

Parable or no parable, it's as immoral as can be.

Taking the parable and saying that it is an instance of God sinning is fallacious. It is simultaneously a case of quote mining and eisegesis for the interpretation is undertaken whilst ignoring the other roughly 30,000 verses of the Bible and requires one to read into the passage something the passage does not support.
12-06-2014, 09:11 AM
(12-06-2014 09:01 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 08:54 AM)Dom Wrote:  Parable or no parable, it's as immoral as can be.

Taking the parable and saying that it is an instance of God sinning is fallacious. It is simultaneously a case of quote mining and eisegesis for the interpretation is undertaken whilst ignoring the other roughly 30,000 verses of the Bible and requires one to read into the passage something the passage does not support.

Are you disputing that he said to kill people who won't worship him?

Any normal person reading this will understand the command.

Is he in the habit of saying things he doesn't mean? Maybe then someone needs to go through the bible and mark all the spots where he says stuff he doesn't mean. Some people take everything literal.

Whether he means what he says or not, it's a cruel, inhumane and incredibly conceited thing to say.

[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
12-06-2014, 09:13 AM
...Except you are willfully ignoring the part where your jeebus is your gawd incarnate and thus equally culpable for ALL of the atrocities it commits in its gawd-phase.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
12-06-2014, 09:44 AM
(12-06-2014 08:53 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 08:44 AM)Dom Wrote:  It's not ok in any context to have people killed for not being subservient to you. Try it, you'll end up in jail, where you would belong under such circumstances, regardless of context.

Fail.

The old context defense - WOW, just friggin WOW! Pitiful, so pitiful, so sad what this mental condition has done to you. The need for the whole story to be warm and fuzzy has just made you incapable of being honest. Your emotional need for a daddy figure role model has damaged you beyond repair.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
12-06-2014, 09:46 AM
(12-06-2014 09:11 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 09:01 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Taking the parable and saying that it is an instance of God sinning is fallacious. It is simultaneously a case of quote mining and eisegesis for the interpretation is undertaken whilst ignoring the other roughly 30,000 verses of the Bible and requires one to read into the passage something the passage does not support.

Are you disputing that he said to kill people who won't worship him?

Is he in the habit of saying things he doesn't mean? Maybe then someone needs to go through the bible and mark all the spots where he says stuff he doesn't mean. Some people take everything literal.

Whether he means what he says or not, it's a cruel, inhumane and incredibly conceited thing to say.

The parable of the ten minas (the one in question) was told to illustrate a point i.e. that the Kingdom of God was not coming in a way that the people thought it would. Jesus told the parable for this purpose as is indicated in verse eleven of the same chapter. Parables often contained vivid language to create dramatic imagery in the imagination of the listener. The more vivid and dramatic the language used, the greater the effect on the listener. The bringing of the servant before the king and the killing of the servant is symbolic of God judging those who reject Him out of selfish and evil intent. God rightly judges such people and thus no charge can be brought against God of sinning.
12-06-2014, 09:50 AM
(12-06-2014 09:46 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 09:11 AM)Dom Wrote:  Are you disputing that he said to kill people who won't worship him?

The parable of the ten minas (the one in question) was told to illustrate a point i.e. that the Kingdom of God was not coming in a way that the people thought it would. Jesus told the parable for this purpose as is indicated in verse eleven of the same chapter. Parables often contained vivid language to create dramatic imagery in the imagination of the listener. The more vivid and dramatic the language used, the greater the effect on the listener. The bringing of the servant before the king and the killing of the servant is symbolic of God judging those who reject Him out of selfish and evil intent. God rightly judges such people and thus no charge can be brought against God of sinning.

In other words, he just said it to scare the shit out of people?