[split] I need to rant to other atheists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2014, 03:22 PM
RE: I need to rant to other atheists.
(09-06-2014 02:36 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Even if this is true, why not pattern one's life after His?

Ahhh, so true! I'm going to start now.

I need to find a fig tree that has no figs and curse it to die even though I know it's not fig season.

Then I should find some pigs and pretend they're possessed by demons so I can drown them all. "He [Jesus] said to them, 'Go!' so they came out and went into the pigs, and the whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the lake and died in the water." (Matthew 8:32)

And I should become a racist like Jesus: "A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, 'Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is suffering terribly from demon-possession. Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, 'Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us.' He [Jesus] answered, 'I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.' The woman came and knelt before him. 'Lord, help me!' she said. He [Jesus] replied 'It is not right to take the children's [Jews] bread [blessings and miracles reserved for them] and toss it to their dogs [the Gentiles].' 'Yes, Lord' she said, 'but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table.' Then Jesus answered, 'Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted.' And her daughter was healed from that very hour." (From the NIV Bible, Matthew 15:22-28)

Oh, by the way, Jeremy, are you Jewish? Because according to Jesus, you're either a Jew or you're a dog. Are you a dog, Jeremy? Are you Jesus' bitch?

Do you have a sword, Jeremy? I do, so I can skip this one, but if you don't, well, go sell your cloak and get one: "He said to them, 'But now if you have a purse, take it and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36). And also "Do not suppose that I [Jesus] have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." (Matthew 10:34)

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2014, 03:25 PM
RE: [split] I need to rant to other atheists.
(09-06-2014 03:16 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 03:10 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Nobody said she was not a good person! Why assume the OP is not a caring, giving, charitable, and compasionate person? Why do you need to have a jebus myth in order to have a good opinion about a person/yourself?

According to the myth, Jebus was a bigot at times, would not offer help without subjugation, and was OK with slave ownership just to name a few attributes you should copy. That fog your in must be suffocating!

i simply asked why not live a life of self denial and self sacrificing love? this is what i mean by being a follower of Jesus Christ for this is how one seeks to live if they are a follower of Christ.

Yeah well as for being a follower of christ, it sounds like the OP is not, and the thread was directed towards an audience that is NOT - so why butt in with stupid questions?

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
09-06-2014, 03:29 PM
(09-06-2014 03:19 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  name one atrocity that a follower of Jesus' life and teachings has committed.

Here's the first dozen off the top of my head:

The First Crusade
The Second Crusade
The Third Crusade
The Fourth Crusade
The Fifth Crusade
The Sixth Crusade
The Seventh Crusade
The Eighth Crusade
The Ninth Crusade
The Spanish Inquisition
Hitler's "Final Solution" (he was and still is Catholic)
Many, many innocent women burned as witches and it's still happening today.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
09-06-2014, 03:29 PM
RE: [split] I need to rant to other atheists.
(09-06-2014 03:25 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 03:16 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  i simply asked why not live a life of self denial and self sacrificing love? this is what i mean by being a follower of Jesus Christ for this is how one seeks to live if they are a follower of Christ.

Yeah well as for being a follower of christ, it sounds like the OP is not, and the thread was directed towards an audience that is NOT - so why butt in with stupid questions?

Because I want to know why the OP does not think they should imitate the life of Christ.
09-06-2014, 03:30 PM
(09-06-2014 03:19 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 03:18 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  Are you incapable of figuring out how to behave without having to consult fairy tales?
I'm going to go with the real life evidence that the followers of jebus have committed some of the worst atrocities in history.

name one atrocity that a follower of Jesus' life and teachings has committed.

Every pastor, preacher, or priest that has taught a silly myth, based on fear, to children as truth - so thousands of atrocities, there ya go!

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
09-06-2014, 03:30 PM
(09-06-2014 03:03 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  What we have on this forum is truly appalling in some ways. It is supposed to be about thinking and "reasoning". Here we have someone who is a devout Christian who has posted something which Kant, the father of modern philosophy, wrote about, and no one has the kahunas to deal with it seriously.

That can be addressed elsewhere.... and is in many places on this forum... including the split from this thread.

The original post and even the title of this thread states that the poster just needed to rant to other atheists. This is meant to be a thread to blow off steam.

However, if you want to get serious... "kahunas"?
Dodgy I do not think it means what you think it means.

Kahuna is Hawaiian.

I can only think you may have wanted to use the word cojones. It's Spanish.

They're different. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
09-06-2014, 03:31 PM
(09-06-2014 03:29 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 03:19 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  name one atrocity that a follower of Jesus' life and teachings has committed.

Here's the first dozen off the top of my head:

The First Crusade
The Second Crusade
The Third Crusade
The Fourth Crusade
The Fifth Crusade
The Sixth Crusade
The Seventh Crusade
The Eighth Crusade
The Ninth Crusade
The Spanish Inquisition

ok where did Jesus teach that Jews should be killed because they are Jews or that Muslims should be killed because they are Muslims or that the Spanish Inquisition was good and morally obligatory?

Where did Jesus teach this?
09-06-2014, 03:32 PM
(09-06-2014 03:19 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 03:18 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  Are you incapable of figuring out how to behave without having to consult fairy tales?
I'm going to go with the real life evidence that the followers of jebus have committed some of the worst atrocities in history.

name one atrocity that a follower of Jesus' life and teachings has committed.

This should get you started.
http://http://originalblessing.ning.com/...-committed
09-06-2014, 03:34 PM
(09-06-2014 03:31 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  name one atrocity that a follower of Jesus' life and teachings has committed.
(09-06-2014 03:29 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Here's the first dozen off the top of my head:

The First Crusade
The Second Crusade
The Third Crusade
The Fourth Crusade
The Fifth Crusade
The Sixth Crusade
The Seventh Crusade
The Eighth Crusade
The Ninth Crusade
The Spanish Inquisition

ok where did Jesus teach that Jews should be killed because they are Jews or that Muslims should be killed because they are Muslims or that the Spanish Inquisition was good and morally obligatory?

Where did Jesus teach this?

You didn't ask about Jesus' atrocities. You specifically asked about atrocities committed by his followers. Everything on my list was committed by followers of Jesus.

Maybe they just all took him seriously about that sword thing...

09-06-2014, 03:36 PM
(09-06-2014 03:32 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  

This should get you started.
http://http://originalblessing.ning.com/...-committed
at the beginning it says that many Christians have misinterpreted scripture in order to provide justification for evil acts. this only proves my point. Jesus never taught anyone to do anything evil.