[split] I need to rant to other atheists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2014, 03:37 PM
RE: I need to rant to other atheists.
(09-06-2014 03:34 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 03:31 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  name one atrocity that a follower of Jesus' life and teachings has committed.

ok where did Jesus teach that Jews should be killed because they are Jews or that Muslims should be killed because they are Muslims or that the Spanish Inquisition was good and morally obligatory?

Where did Jesus teach this?

You didn't ask about Jesus' atrocities. You specifically asked about atrocities committed by his followers. Everything on my list was committed by followers of Jesus.

Maybe they just all took him seriously about that sword thing...

A FOLLOWER OF HIS LIFE AND TEACHINGS. LIFE AND TEACHINGS. LIFE AND TEACHINGS. LIFE AND TEACHINGS.

Is that better?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2014, 03:43 PM
RE: [split] I need to rant to other atheists.
(09-06-2014 03:29 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Because I want to know why the OP does not think they should imitate the life of Christ.

Maybe the OP doesn't want to imitate a fictional character; creating one's own life is usually preferable to following a "script" created by someone else.

Children try to imitate heros and role models up to a certain point - before they figure out their own direction. Grown ups like to make their own way in life. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
09-06-2014, 03:46 PM
(09-06-2014 03:43 PM)kim Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 03:29 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Because I want to know why the OP does not think they should imitate the life of Christ.

Maybe the OP doesn't want to imitate a fictional character; creating one's own life is usually preferable to following a "script" created by someone else.

Children try to imitate heros and role models up to a certain point - before they figure out their own direction. Grown ups like to make their own way in life. Shy

is not the best way the way of self denial and self sacrificial love for one's neighbor?

is not a life of pure charity the most virtuous life?
09-06-2014, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2014 04:00 PM by Reltzik.)
[split] I need to rant to other atheists.
I've deleted this post, because it belonged in the split thread. *edit* Aaaaaand mods moved it into the split thread anyway while I was editting it. Yay Alfonz and Gaston! See below for content.
09-06-2014, 03:58 PM
(09-06-2014 03:37 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  *actually quoted text removed to spare those who have ignored this guy*

Maybe if you clarified how you, personally, tell apart those who really are followers from those who claim to be followers and to outward appearances think they're followers but are somehow getting it wrong, in your opinion. Because otherwise Hitler's still on the list.

... and also, you'd kinda have to justify why your own method of differentiating who is and isn't a Christian is superior to all those other methods, cause otherwise that's just, like, your opinion, man, and we've got no reason for using that to identify who is or isn't a true Christian instead of, say, Westboro Baptist Church's method of identifying who is and isn't a true Christian. (You aren't, btw. Just ask them.) BTW, they'd probably say that YOUR method of identifying who is and isn't a true follower of Christ's yada yada yada is wrong, so you'd need an argument more sophisticated than they can put forward to actually get us to buy into your models. Just "This is the right way, that isn't" isn't going to cut it.

You know, if you want to actually communicate your question clearly enough for us to answer it. Clear definitions and all that. If your goal is to just toss out a few smokescreens that will leave everyone feeling smugly confident in their preexisting beliefs, yourself included, just leave things as they are.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
09-06-2014, 04:02 PM
(09-06-2014 03:46 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  is not the best way the way of self denial and self sacrificial love for one's neighbor?

is not a life of pure charity the most virtuous life?

The private particulars of someone else's life are not my business unless those details conflict with my life or the lives of others.

You wanted to know, "...why the OP does not think ...."
I replied "Maybe ..." I was speculating but do not know... nor do I care. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
09-06-2014, 04:05 PM
Can I just take this moment to thank the mods for splitting off Jeremy's derailment into a separate thread?

Thanks. Keep up the good work!
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
09-06-2014, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2014 04:22 PM by Jeremy E Walker.)
(09-06-2014 03:58 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 03:37 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  *actually quoted text removed to spare those who have ignored this guy*

Maybe if you clarified how you, personally, tell apart those who really are followers from those who claim to be followers and to outward appearances think they're followers but are somehow getting it wrong, in your opinion. Because otherwise Hitler's still on the list.

... and also, you'd kinda have to justify why your own method of differentiating who is and isn't a Christian is superior to all those other methods, cause otherwise that's just, like, your opinion, man, and we've got no reason for using that to identify who is or isn't a true Christian instead of, say, Westboro Baptist Church's method of identifying who is and isn't a true Christian. (You aren't, btw. Just ask them.) BTW, they'd probably say that YOUR method of identifying who is and isn't a true follower of Christ's yada yada yada is wrong, so you'd need an argument more sophisticated than they can put forward to actually get us to buy into your models. Just "This is the right way, that isn't" isn't going to cut it.

You know, if you want to actually communicate your question clearly enough for us to answer it. Clear definitions and all that. If your goal is to just toss out a few smokescreens that will leave everyone feeling smugly confident in their preexisting beliefs, yourself included, just leave things as they are.

Christ taught that men should love God and love each other as they love themselves. He even went so far to say that whoever does these things fulfills the entire Law given under Moses.

He taught that men should love their enemies and pray for them that spitefully use them. To bless those who curse and to never repay evil with evil but on the contrary, to overcome evil with good.

So yes it is easy for me to tell the difference between the ones who live by this law of love and those who say they do but whose actions show otherwise.

Hitler was not a person that lived by this law. Nor were those who were responsible for the inquisition nor were those who killed Jews and Muslims because they were Jews and Muslims.

Anyone that is honest and who has eyes and who knows what Christ taught will know this.

It is not a mystery.
09-06-2014, 04:35 PM
(09-06-2014 04:19 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 03:58 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Maybe if you clarified how you, personally, tell apart those who really are followers from those who claim to be followers and to outward appearances think they're followers but are somehow getting it wrong, in your opinion. Because otherwise Hitler's still on the list.

Christ taught that men should love God and love each other as they love themselves. He even went so far to say that whoever does these things fulfills the entire Law given under Moses.

He taught that men should love their enemies and pray for them that spitefully use them. To bless those who curse and to never repay evil with evil but on the contrary, to overcome evil with good.

So yes it is easy for me to tell the difference between the ones who live by this law of love and those who say they do but whose actions show otherwise.

Hitler was not a person that lived by this law. Nor were those who were responsible for the inquisition nor were those who killed Jews and Muslims because they were Jews and Muslims.

Anyone that is honest and who has eyes and who knows what Christ taught will know this.

It is not a mystery.

Jesus taught self-denial. You do not follow this example. Ergo, you are not honest when you say you follow Jesus.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
09-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Jeremy.
If it was unclear to anybody what an ignorant, socially inept fool you are, it is now very clear. To barge uninvited into a conversation and begin acting as you have, is astounding. Imagine rushing into a group of football fans and attacking their team. Would you honestly expect them to denounce their team?

If you want to know why some people do not follow Jesus, there exist many threads.
You have proven beyond any doubt that you are simply a troll. You have no interest in saving people. Or worse, you wish to save people but are so unbelievably foolish and stupid, you go about it in this manner.

I cannot explain why others do not believe. Although I could guess. I can tell you that I saw through the dreadful work of fiction that is the Bible as a small child. It is a badly written, shallow book. Only fools believe it. As you have so elegantly demonstrated.

Where Socrates could lay claim to being a gadfly who nipped at the foolish ideas of his fellow citizens, you may lay claim only to being foolish.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post