09-10-2014, 11:47 AM
[split] Ignorant Meat Eaters
More proof that the human race is evil.

Truth seeker.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2014, 11:55 AM
RE: Ignorant Meat Eaters
(09-10-2014 11:47 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  More proof that the human race is evil.

Really? Please enlighten me with your insights.
09-10-2014, 12:08 PM
RE: Ignorant Meat Eaters
(09-10-2014 11:55 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 11:47 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  More proof that the human race is evil.

Really? Please enlighten me with your insights.

Or better yet fuck off.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
09-10-2014, 12:47 PM
RE: [split] Ignorant Meat Eaters
Diddo, maybe you should try adding to the conversation instead of being a twat. Kinda pissed I spent time trying to post a valid response and your antics got the thread derailed. So fuck you, I'm posting it anyway:

I had my own calf to bottle feed at age 5. I've moved a lot, but I've spent some of those years on my grandmother's farm. We raised Charolais (around 80) and had free range chickens. I'd like to think I have a fairly decent understanding of where meat comes from. My (step) dad currently has around 150 bee hives placed around the county. My great uncle raises cage free chickens for commercial production.

This pic looks like it could have been taken at our farm (it wasn't). These are happy cows:
[Image: showcase-slide-1-charolais-cow-calves-optimised.jpg]

This is sad to me:
[Image: 140127-truths-about-mcdonalds-food-cow-feed-lot.jpg]

I don't understand the perspective of calling someone sadistic when they humanely raise their animals for the purpose of food. I'd say it's time for them to put on some work boots and spend some time on a family farm for a real world education. Free range chickens are a lot of fun to have around, but it's not like eating the family dog. It's just not comparable. I could see how one might get attached to a pig - some of them are really cute and they are very intelligent. So many pigs are raised in deplorable conditions.

I prefer to purchase humanely raised meat now that it is becoming more widely available in area grocery stores, just as I prefer to buy from the local farmers markets and orchards before buying foods that aren't local. I prefer not to "financially support" companies that have inhumane practices. I can't always afford it and I make a lot of vegetarian meals to compensate.

We have a lot of Meatless Mondays in our house. Taco Tuesday is fun, and I have a fantastic black bean taco recipe. I also make Red Beans and Rice, sometimes the old fashioned way with ham hocks and andouille sausage, sometimes vegetarian - both delicious.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
09-10-2014, 12:57 PM
In Britain the minimum requirements for cattle care are closer to that 'Kobe beef' Americans seem to like than the international standards, but unfortunately there are no such laws for some animals. Pigs and fowl especially can be found in awful conditions. Technically ducks and turkeys must be kept in conditions where they have at least enough room to move (which isn't really much of a minimum to be honest...) but a lot of industrial farms are not held to those standards. Pigs though I'm not too sure about the minimum conditions, but free range pigs are hard to find, and the alternative to 'free range' doesn't bare thinking about.

There is a big shift happening here though in recent years fortunately because it turns out that happy animals taste better, and also turns out that people are more likely to care about their food tasting good than about animal welfare. With the increased demand too there has been a dramatically increased supply which has been driving the prices down. The eggs of free range hens now tend to only be a couple of pennies more expensive than those from battery hens, and you get 10 times the quality of food for that tiny increase.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
09-10-2014, 02:34 PM
Seen this on the web a few times, didn't realise until now that it was part of a film (Samsara, a sequel to Baraka. I have that on DVD somewhere). I think the end is particularly pertinent. Well worth watching.

[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
09-10-2014, 02:38 PM
I've seen that video posted quite a few times in threads talking about the dramatic human overpopulation. It's very damning to say the least.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
[+] 1 user Likes Cetaceaphile's post