[split] In the beginning...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2014, 04:11 AM
RE: [split] In the beginning...
(20-08-2014 07:49 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 05:30 AM)Muslim Wrote:  Actually assertion that something doesn't exist, is impossible to be proven

A flying pink elephant is in my car.
It's fairly easy to prove that it's not.
Yes, it is easy to disprove that, but I didn't say "withing a specific place"
However proving that Flying Pink Elephants don't exist in general, is still impossible

You can bring clues that they are not probable (withing Earth) but in general terms, it is impossible
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2014, 04:25 AM
(25-08-2014 04:11 AM)Muslim Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 07:49 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  A flying pink elephant is in my car.
It's fairly easy to prove that it's not.
Yes, it is easy to disprove that, but I didn't say "withing a specific place"
However proving that Flying Pink Elephants don't exist in general, is still impossible

You can bring clues that they are not probable (withing Earth) but in general terms, it is impossible

So... Allah's on the same level as a flying pink elephant then?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
25-08-2014, 04:35 AM
(25-08-2014 04:25 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(25-08-2014 04:11 AM)Muslim Wrote:  Yes, it is easy to disprove that, but I didn't say "withing a specific place"

So... Allah's on the same level as a flying pink elephant then?

[Image: tumblr_lva84vm1T91qj494po1_400.jpg]

/Thread

Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
25-08-2014, 04:50 AM
(20-08-2014 10:15 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 05:30 AM)Muslim Wrote:  Actually assertion that something doesn't exist, is impossible to be proven

Your statement is 100% delusional (even if you are right)

I find that a common characteristic of many theists is the ability to think in terms of anything except absolutes.

There is a difference between proving something to be 100% true and having enough evidence to say that the chance of it being wrong is negligible.
Here you are talking about probability, but this applies only within your observations or environment
but what about other planes/universes, you cannot even set a probability for the non-existence there.
Quote:You will never manage to achieve the former but the achieving the latter is both possible and often practical.
You are asserting, my proof will be logical, i.e. a fact not a probability

Quote:Once you have shown the chance of something being true as being negligible (such as the existence of Zeus or God, or the validity of the Bible or Quran etc) then it can be assigned to the same bin as all the other superstitions and fairy tales.
Will see
25-08-2014, 10:32 AM
(25-08-2014 04:50 AM)Muslim Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 10:15 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I find that a common characteristic of many theists is the ability to think in terms of anything except absolutes.

There is a difference between proving something to be 100% true and having enough evidence to say that the chance of it being wrong is negligible.
Here you are talking about probability, but this applies only within your observations or environment
but what about other planes/universes, you cannot even set a probability for the non-existence there.
Quote:You will never manage to achieve the former but the achieving the latter is both possible and often practical.
You are asserting, my proof will be logical, i.e. a fact not a probability

Quote:Once you have shown the chance of something being true as being negligible (such as the existence of Zeus or God, or the validity of the Bible or Quran etc) then it can be assigned to the same bin as all the other superstitions and fairy tales.
Will see

Your proof won't be logical?
So you are going to prove that the existence of your god has a non-zero probability?

Don't bother, it's not at all interesting.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
26-08-2014, 03:03 PM
(25-08-2014 04:50 AM)Muslim Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 10:15 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I find that a common characteristic of many theists is the ability to think in terms of anything except absolutes.

Mentioning other realities does not counter my point that theists only think in terms of absolutes leaving them unable to adequately cope with the only reality we exist in.

We don't even know that other universes / planes exist and whatever we say about them is pure speculation, not falsifiable and therefore completely irrelevant.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
27-08-2014, 06:37 AM
(25-08-2014 04:25 AM)morondog Wrote:  So... Allah's on the same level as a flying pink elephant then?
Yes, till he is proved
27-08-2014, 06:39 AM
Hurry up and prove Allah then.

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
27-08-2014, 06:47 AM
(26-08-2014 03:03 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(25-08-2014 04:50 AM)Muslim Wrote:  Here you are talking about probability, but this applies only within your observations or environment

Mentioning other realities does not counter my point that theists only think in terms of absolutes leaving them unable to adequately cope with the only reality we exist in.

We don't even know that other universes / planes exist and whatever we say about them is pure speculation, not falsifiable and therefore completely irrelevant.
Yes, but my point is that you should not assert the non-existent of something in general?

to be more specific, you are trying to refute Islam (or other religions) because they mentioned "strange" things that you don't have a clue about.
27-08-2014, 07:20 AM
(27-08-2014 06:47 AM)Muslim Wrote:  Yes, but my point is that you should not assert the non-existent of something in general?

to be more specific, you are trying to refute Islam (or other religions) because they mentioned "strange" things that you don't have a clue about.

You once again miss the point utterly.

You are claiming your book and religion are true. You have provided no evidence.

We don't accept your claims. We are not refuting Islam, we are rejecting the claims as unevidenced.

Most things are not binary, true or false. There is a middle ground called "we don't know".

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user