[split] It's Supernatural.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2013, 08:58 PM
RE: [split] It's Supernatural.
(09-12-2013 08:38 PM)Chippy Wrote:  Given that Gardner made most of it up why would someone choose his fabrication over anyone else's?

The Buddha made up his own religion too. And what *he* came up with (as opposed to what most of it has devolved to) is pretty good. The mere fact of clearly having been worked out by a known person doesn't necessarily invalidate it.

But as usual, facts aren't your strong suit...

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
09-12-2013, 09:08 PM
(09-12-2013 08:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Give Girly one that does Chippy.

He can't. Nobody can. That's why it makes no sense that he's trying to argue that one piece of fiction is "faker" than the others.

Meanwhile, there are larger religions in the world that are doing actual harm. Actual, real, bona fide harm. In a hundred years nobody is going to give a flying fuck about Wicca or the fact that he was on the internet bitching about it. Just let him have his fucked up superiority fantasy, I guess. ^_^ It's almost as cute as it is infuriating. Like he's a special needs kid trying to tell jokes and he's the only one who's laughing at them.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 1 user Likes Cephalotus's post
09-12-2013, 09:23 PM

That depends on how you define "makes sense". Any religion that isn't patently invented and that claims to be derived from special/supernatural revelation "makes sense" to that extent that any religion can be said to "make sense". Even demented L. Ron Hubbard could appreciate that point. If you willfully subscribe to a religion that you know is an invention of its founder then you just don't understand the idea of religion. All mainline religions and even cults like the Raelians understand this fundamental feature of religion. If Claude Vorilhon said he made it all up his entire project would be even more absurd than it is.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-12-2013, 09:45 PM
(09-12-2013 09:23 PM)Chippy Wrote:  

That depends on how you define "makes sense". Any religion that isn't patently invented and that claims to be derived from special/supernatural revelation "makes sense" to that extent that any religion can be said to "make sense". Even demented L. Ron Hubbard could appreciate that point. If you willfully subscribe to a religion that you know is an invention of its founder then you just don't understand the idea of religion. All mainline religions and even cults like the Raelians understand this fundamental feature of religion. If Claude Vorilhon said he made it all up his entire project would be even more absurd than it is.

Girly knows The Absurd intimately. I think the problem here is that you are an obviously very well and presumably self-educated man (carpenter from Oz, correct me if I'm mistaken) and you come to this forum to fence:

[Image: fence.jpg]

and Girly couldn't give less of a shit about your little peepee Épée weapon.

[Image: marathon.jpg]

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-12-2013, 09:52 PM
(09-12-2013 09:23 PM)Chippy Wrote:  

No, dude, none of them make sense. Some are just more obviously invented than others.

You're splitting theological hairs. Go do something useful like counting angels on the head of a pin.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
09-12-2013, 10:46 PM
(09-12-2013 09:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 09:23 PM)Chippy Wrote:  That depends on how you define "makes sense". Any religion that isn't patently invented and that claims to be derived from special/supernatural revelation "makes sense" to that extent that any religion can be said to "make sense". Even demented L. Ron Hubbard could appreciate that point. If you willfully subscribe to a religion that you know is an invention of its founder then you just don't understand the idea of religion. All mainline religions and even cults like the Raelians understand this fundamental feature of religion. If Claude Vorilhon said he made it all up his entire project would be even more absurd than it is.

No, dude, none of them make sense. Some are just more obviously invented than others.

The obviously invented are to be preferred for obvious reasons.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-12-2013, 05:24 AM
(09-12-2013 09:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, dude, none of them make sense. Some are just more obviously invented than others.

You're splitting theological hairs. Go do something useful like counting angels on the head of a pin.

No, dude, I'm not splitting "theological hairs". This has nothing to do with theology and everything to do with anthropology and sociology. Wicca is a postmodern religion and in that regard it is uniquely fucked-up. I'm not the only person to recognise this; here is a suitable truculent essay that I didn't write.

Wicca is postmodern and it shares all of the failings of all other postmodern artifacts. It is not a coincidence that there is no such thing as Wiccan apologetics, it is a consequence of the postmodern idea that there is no such thing as truth. It doesn't matter that Gardner invented Wicca because nothing is true or false anyway--epistemological relativism is central to postmodernity.

My position on this is considered and with justification so I'm not going to be harassed into abadndoning it by your invective or anyone elses. If you have an argument then present it else fuck off.
10-12-2013, 05:52 AM
(09-12-2013 09:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think the problem here is that you are an obviously very well and presumably self-educated man (carpenter from Oz, correct me if I'm mistaken) and you come to this forum to fence

No part of that is a "problem". It is entirely irrelevant, but since you raised the matter, I have graduated from two universities. I am formally and self-educated. By virtue of my age I have taught myself much, much more than I ever learnt at university. No, I'm not a carpenter but if I was, what of it? If I were an entirely self-educated carpenter where exactly would the problem be in that? I expect that what I post will be assessed on its own merits not on the basis of my formal qualifications and how I earn a living. If it is therapeutic for you to think of me as a "very well and presumably self-educated...carpenter" then by all means continue to think of me that way. I don't think self-education or carpentry is anything to be embarrassed about.

Quote:and Girly couldn't give less of a shit about your little peepee Épée weapon.

And Chippy couldn't give less of a shit about your pictures of morbidly obese men (that likely have a piece of string attached to their "little peepee Épée weapon" so that they can find it when they need to urinate or masturbate).
10-12-2013, 07:18 AM
(10-12-2013 05:24 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 09:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, dude, none of them make sense. Some are just more obviously invented than others.

No, dude, I'm not splitting "theological hairs". This has nothing to do with theology and everything to do with anthropology and sociology. Wicca is a postmodern religion and in that regard it is uniquely fucked-up. I'm not the only person to recognise this; here is a suitable truculent essay that I didn't write.

Wicca is postmodern and it shares all of the failings of all other postmodern artifacts. It is not a coincidence that there is no such thing as Wiccan apologetics, it is a consequence of the postmodern idea that there is no such thing as truth. It doesn't matter that Gardner invented Wicca because nothing is true or false anyway--epistemological relativism is central to postmodernity.

My position on this is considered and with justification so I'm not going to be harassed into abadndoning it by your invective or anyone elses. If you have an argument then present it else fuck off.

I presented it, fuckhead, you just don't see it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-12-2013, 07:32 AM
(09-12-2013 08:38 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 08:39 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Chip-on-your-shoulder, I would explain to you Why Wicca was created BY man For man(kind) - as opposed to being only *divinely inspired* - but you'd just keep going in circles with your own opinions. You've already shown great skill for only listening to yourself.
You don't get it. And that's ok. Not everyone can get it.

No, you don't "get it".

alrighty then..............have it your way. Tried and tried to make it right with you ChipOfADick--- buuuuut you are committed to your hatred of Wicca (for no viable, decent reason other than your own wee hard on).
You poor poor little man.

Thus you shall be - a poor poor little man...............
You just WATCH how fucking magical I can be. Buuwwaaahaaaaa

[Image: 1450123_572557262816457_1859071950_n_zps9c9e4a7e.jpg]

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.